Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:30:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] 0pticoin (0TC) - Release Date: May 15, 2013 - Postponed ~1 month [ANN]  (Read 18805 times)
dokosten

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:24:45 PM

I want to apologize to everyone, but I am going to postpone launch for exactly 1 week (May 15 @ 6pm GMT).

The reason for doing this is I am currently working on my previously mentioned idea of attempting to limit blocks which can be submitted during a specified timeframe at a specified difficulty in relation to total network hashrate (this should not only prevent large hashrate miners from raping the coin, but will also help to protect the network from 51% attack by preventing the user from being able to gain 51% control).

Lower hashrate miners should not be affected (other than the ability to be able to actually obtain coins) while higher hashrate miners will only be affected while the difficulty is lower and the network hashrate is smaller. I expect as the difficulty/network hashrate increases that cpu-based miners will probably stray away anyway to whatever is the newest low-difficulty coin at that time.

I am also taking this extra week to finish developing http://crypto-etc.com which is where I will host the exchange, pool and forum. This is also where the client downloads will be hosted (except for the source code which will remain on my github).

And the final reason for postponing this one more week is to add/test more features which I am adding, including:

• Proof of Stake implementation
  • Allow mining at decreased difficulty if time since last block is greater than "x" minutes

I am also open to suggestions on other features.

I thank you for your patience and once again I apologize for the inconvenience to those of you who have been watching/waiting for 6pm to roll around, but I promise it will be the worth the wait.

Great news actually!

I was really early in mining YaCoin today. Had 3 machines with 550 KH\s each running, but none of them got more than 1-2 accepted blocks because of some higher hashrate miners joining the network and blocking all low-medium hash miners.. Sad So I hope you can find a solution which works for us low hashers aswell!

Good luck! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
e521

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:25:55 PM

also yac was launched today...

Great news actually. Smiley

I was really early in mining YaCoin today. Had 3 machines with 550 KH\s each running, but none of them got more than 1-2 accepted blocks because of some higher hashrate miners joining the network and blocking all low-medium has miners.. Sad So I hope you can find a solution which works for us low hashers aswell!

Good luck! Smiley

LOL  Huh
I guess you have a special miner for gpus...

c4n10 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:46:53 PM

Gutted but I'm glad you are taking the time to get it right, so bravo

I appreciate your support! Thank you!

Excellent, is this going to be the first coin having and exchange at the first day? How about pools then?

As mentioned earlier there will be a pool on the site at http://crypto-etc.com

But I also suspect that there will be one or two p2pool gurus who will have pools set-up within the first or two after launch (that's the way it usually goes)...

when you release.. will you please release the windows binaries at the same time, so we can all get a "fair" chance <3

I will indeed. At the time of release there will be linux and windows binaries as well as the source code so people can compile their own as well.

Wise move, well done!

.b

Thank you!

+1

This is the first time I have really an impression that the OP is doing a proper work...

Smiley

Instead of time based retarget, why not make it dynamic diff retarget like BitBar - that seems to work a lot better at stopping pump and dump miners.

I prefer the time-based re-targeting as it makes the coin more reliable as a currency. If I run with a dynamic re-targeting system confirmation times for transactions wouldn't be as reliable making it not a viable currency to use for goods/services which are extremely time-dependent.

Great news actually!

I was really early in mining YaCoin today. Had 3 machines with 550 KH\s each running, but none of them got more than 1-2 accepted blocks because of some higher hashrate miners joining the network and blocking all low-medium hash miners.. Sad So I hope you can find a solution which works for us low hashers aswell!

Good luck! Smiley

Thank you for your support! I will do my best!

also yac was launched today...

Great news actually. Smiley

I was really early in mining YaCoin today. Had 3 machines with 550 KH\s each running, but none of them got more than 1-2 accepted blocks because of some higher hashrate miners joining the network and blocking all low-medium has miners.. Sad So I hope you can find a solution which works for us low hashers aswell!

Good luck! Smiley

LOL  Huh
I guess you have a special miner for gpus...

Actually, I don't think there are any gpu miners for YAC yet (unless YAC's creator wrote one that he has not released to the public yet).

The large hashrate miners on YAC right now are probably botnet owners...
perhan007

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:52:06 PM

Will the release be in an hour? I'm not sure if I understood GMT correctly Wink
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:59:14 PM

remember satoshi took days just to mine the genesis block
No he didn't. Who on earth told you that rubbish?

c4n10 (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:00:00 PM

It was going to be in 2 hours, but I have postponed release for 1 week. I will update the description to reflect this change and the reasoning why.
Lowlander

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:03:51 PM

It was going to be in 2 hours, but I have postponed release for 1 week. I will update the description to reflect this change and the reasoning why.

oh Sad
Passion_ltc

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:05:46 PM

c4n10 (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:09:43 PM

LOL, don't see that one often...
champbronc2

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:19:01 PM

I feel like I might buy a mining rig just for May 15th..

Can you buy a PC with GPU's strong enough to mine from the get go? And in such a case.. could you buy a computer from Best Buy and "rent" it for the week? lol

https://bitquick.co - Buy bitcoins instantly with cash at 2% fee or Sell Bitcoins at 0% fee with BitQuick.co. Encourage safer, more secure trading! Stop selling on LocalBitcoins.
Safe trading resource: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208203.0 Read it before you ever make a trade! Know what you're getting yourself into!
champbronc2

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:07:18 PM

If anyone is taking pre-orders, PM me. That way we can guarantee you a rate. If you are a trusted member, I can pay before the coin is even released.

Unfortunately I'm going to have surgery on the 15th so I won't be physically available to mine it! Tongue

https://bitquick.co - Buy bitcoins instantly with cash at 2% fee or Sell Bitcoins at 0% fee with BitQuick.co. Encourage safer, more secure trading! Stop selling on LocalBitcoins.
Safe trading resource: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208203.0 Read it before you ever make a trade! Know what you're getting yourself into!
spoid

Activity: 532

bearded, drunk, fat, naked

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:38:15 PM

OP is one of the few persons who actually learned from the bullshit of the past few weeks and put it into practice. Good Job!

with great beard comes great liver. Reputation Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195803.0
afro25

Activity: 123

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:51:00 AM

Unfortunately I'm going to have surgery on the 15th so I won't be physically available to mine it! Tongue

Coincidentally I'll also be going to the hospital on the 15th at 4pm... I doubt I'll be out in time for this either. Poo.

Dacm4n

Activity: 363

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:38:41 PM

Thanks for a giving a time and date, it makes the project seem more legit too.
mercSuey

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 07:40:39 PM

Just to clarify, 0pticoin is mainly for your experimenting so to have a smooth release  for your intended coin at a later date?
coinerd

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:15:13 PM

if you want to be really fair, you can supply a guide for the people who doesn't know how to solo mine, that way people can start creating pools, when all people can solo mine in the meanwhile...

~

or to be really fair.  premine the coin and then give those coins to the people who cry the most about how unfair the coin is.

I skipped half the thread to reply to this. I laughed so hard.

~~~~~~~~~

forum-goer: ehhhhhh, your coin is a huge scam!

Coin Dev: Here, have 50k!

forum-goer: We need to get this shit on an exchange!

~~~~~~~~~

right?

If you did it like that, you could just pre-mine the whole blockchain, maybe 100b coins...

Roll Eyes
computerparts

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:57:35 AM

Oh yay 24 hours away from the next fail coin.
Impaler

Activity: 826

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:59:51 AM

Postpone it indefinitely, I see nothing of value or innovation here, the OP says this coin is just to 'learn' if that's the case go run it on test-net, you do not launch a coin simply to learn how BTC code works.  The OP makes some reference to some future jargon-filled idea to sound like he has made some kind of innovation but the truth is he has not remotely the skills necessary to do anything of value in Crypto currency as evidence by his total failure to comprehend the criticism leveled so far.  I think all the so called innovation is a smoke screen to distract from a pump and dump coin, his initial proposal was just full of scam-bait.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
napoleon2121

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:02:45 PM

ok let's mine it Cheesy
Praxis
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:09:08 PM

if you want to be really fair, you can supply a guide for the people who doesn't know how to solo mine, that way people can start creating pools, when all people can solo mine in the meanwhile...

~

or to be really fair.  premine the coin and then give those coins to the people who cry the most about how unfair the coin is.

I skipped half the thread to reply to this. I laughed so hard.

~~~~~~~~~

forum-goer: ehhhhhh, your coin is a huge scam!

Coin Dev: Here, have 50k!

forum-goer: We need to get this shit on an exchange!

~~~~~~~~~

right?

If you did it like that, you could just pre-mine the whole blockchain, maybe 100b coins...

Roll Eyes

It's exactly how it is. The people who cry about premines being "unfair" are envious.
The rational people who do not like a coin being premined just don't buy it and stay indifferent.
Recently Boxman90 demonstrated this when he tried to extort a coin maker (NWO): "If you don't pay me 25.000 Powercoin, I will make a thread about how unfair and unjust your coin is!"
(Ha ha, and extortion / blackmail is fair and just?)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: