Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:51:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Government Response to Bitcoin  (Read 1873 times)
lemontree1308

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:00:46 PM

Even if they can, I think the idea of a more secure crypto-currency could carry on  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:02:12 PM

If the goverment wanted to destroy Bitcoin, it could easily point supercomputers at the block chain and just mine empty transaction blocks. One government computer could go 99% on the network and destroy the coin instantaneously.
This is not true.

It is true, the government has classified technology 150+ years ahead of everything that is made public. You really think they don't have the computer power to destroy bitcoin?

So when the lightbulb was invented in the 1800's they already had computers? Amazing what technomology can do!
LOL. It is a common misconception that the government has super advanced capabilities. Once and a while they do, but generally the most advanced work is done in the private sector. An exception to this is in areas that have little civilian use.
If governments around the world got together they could launch a 51% attack. But why? There is no evidence of this whatsoever.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 05:10:38 PM

the government has classified technology 150+ years ahead of everything that is made public.
This is not true.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
lemontree1308

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:12:08 PM

They don't have to necessarily "shut down" BitCoin, but change the public opinion and make them hate and fear it.

I don't think they can manipulate public opinion, given such easy transaction process that BitCoin and possibly Ripple provides. The public will love BitCoin because if it's efficient for them to use.
efc17

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:16:15 PM

Your friend wants to lay off the weed for abit Cheesy

3KNSWuue88Rtn9GY6XV3tQTQUd3MwaDuKW
MFqZJ2YQzuFMKSNqmu8uh6xoqqM3FDFrwt
https://www.gate.io/hodl?ref=3553
MiningUnited

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:30:12 PM

Quote from: lemmingtart on Today at 04:08:31 PM
the government has classified technology 150+ years ahead of everything that is made public.

Source? So much unsourced information and claims on these forums.
lechium06

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:47:13 PM

The government destroying bitcoin sounds just about as ridiculous as them having an internet kill switch.
rik8119

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

CEO WINC e. V.

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:02:49 PM

First of all i think there are classified technologies but rather in the Military sector and definitely not 150+. What happen in 1933 was an ownership prohibition of Gold (Executive Order 6102). As a private person you where allowed to own 100 USD in Gold and sell the rest to the Government.
So my gues is the Goverments will try to get BitCoins as soon as they dont trust their own currency anylonger. Which will be soon when you see how many Money is printed right now. There is no equivalent value anylonger so BitCoins will increase in worth (deflation) and the Governments want their part of it!

Demurrage - the easiest way to a human society.
OkElmo

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:13:59 PM

There are secret bases no one knows about where black projects take place. The projects are highly covert and deal with exotic/advanced technology.
You're a nutter. Tongue

Disregarding for now how impractical this would be and other such flaws, where is your evidence that this is happening?
AzureEngineer

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:15:30 PM

The government is an all powerful super entity capable of unimaginable feats, but I totally have all of their plans figured out by using Google.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
Kiplingscat

Activity: 64

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:20:46 PM

Once botcoin gains credibility, al will fall into place.  it is a commodity just like all the rest and will traded as such.  They just need to get teh institutions to help reaighn in the laundering.

papaminer

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Free World

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 06:25:37 PM

I got some news that...

OBAMA himself is building a mining rig with 1 Mh/s

he is now in this forum asking how to setup linux to mine with cgminer...

Cheesy

฿: 1L7dSte4Rs4KyyxRCgrqSWYtkXdAb4Gy1z

MORE INFO ABOUT ME: BTC
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:29:16 PM

I find it hard to imagine how the same government that can't even do a simple budget is going to take on the world bitcoin economy.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
smiley35

Activity: 33

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:34:12 PM

Obama like Pot Grin
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:01:29 PM

It would be far cheaper for them to just buy up all the available bitcoins and then hoard them, than to try to destroy the system with massively expensive and non-existent technologies.  With no bitcoins ever available they'd soon become useless because that would kill off the trading, hence their value.  Of course though if that didn't go to plan and it made them more valuable then they'd have earned a huge pile of cash anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem for them either.  Anyway, this would be futile because BTC isn't the only cryptocurrency out there, everyone would just move to another.

This account has recently been hacked and taken over, I haven't posted anything for about two years.  Whoever has been using it and pretending to be me is a scammer.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 07:05:16 PM

I find it hard to imagine how the same government that can't even do a simple budget is going to take on the world bitcoin economy.
Exactly this!

Oh how I wish I was an conspiracy theorist. Those people are capable of believing that some highly organized structures lead by highly intelligent and responsible leaders can actually exist... and remain secret.
Just look at the stories from cold war, or check out details of any historical military operation. All one big unorganized mess.

It would be far cheaper for them to just buy up all the available bitcoins and then hoard them
Yes, please. Do it! I love this kind of attack Cheesy

So practically you are saying their value will be so high that they would be worthless?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:07:47 PM

If the goverment wanted to destroy Bitcoin, it could easily point supercomputers at the block chain and just mine empty transaction blocks. One government computer could go 99% on the network and destroy the coin instantaneously. Such a thing would be trivial if the government has as much money/power as conspiracy theorists think it does.

Fortunately this is not accurate. The bitcoin network is much more powerful than any super computer.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:24:03 PM

Exactly this!

Oh how I wish I was an conspiracy theorist. Those people are capable of believing that some highly organized structures lead by highly intelligent and responsible leaders can actually exist... and remain secret.
Just look at the stories from cold war, or check out details of any historical military operation. All one big unorganized mess.

It would be far cheaper for them to just buy up all the available bitcoins and then hoard them
Yes, please. Do it! I love this kind of attack Cheesy

So practically you are saying their value will be so high that they would be worthless?

If they got all of them then there's nothing left to trade, they'd only be trading with themselves then.  If they only got half then the remainder would shoot up in value

Of course the most important lesson to take from this is that I probably haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, lol

This account has recently been hacked and taken over, I haven't posted anything for about two years.  Whoever has been using it and pretending to be me is a scammer.
cleopatra

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:25:32 PM

boor is right, the only way it can be completely controlled is if all nations do so, worldwide peer to peer
Schrankwand

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:41:20 PM

2015 wollen NSA und DISA (Defense Information Systems Agency) ein neues Datencenter in Betrieb nehmen. Der Bauauftrag im Wert von 565 Millionen US-Dollar wurde im März vergeben, wie Erick Möchel berichtet hat. (D Sokolo) / (anw)

von http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Ex-Terrorfahnder-Keine-digitale-Kommunikation-ist-sicher-1856682.html

TL;DR local Childboards lacking here!

NSA still can't crack AES. Use AES-256 communications and digital communication is secure again. Even the strongest most ridiculous conceivable supercomputers cannot crack AES.

Look up Bruce Schneier's description of what is necessary to crack an AES key.

Even 0.5 billion dollars won't help that. This center will help something, yes. It will help getting worldwide encryption standards for communication going. Its primary goal is interception of not encrypted data and using the raw calculation power to run differential analyses to find patterns in certain situations and create alert systems. The second is to be able to intercept any non-encrypted information with basically "a word."
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: