Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:55:32 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-06-11] Hedge Funds Are Quietly Investing in Bitcoin  (Read 8646 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 12:58:21 PM

Hedge Funds Are Quietly Investing in Bitcoin

Bitcoin’s price has gained over 180 percent this year, while hedge funds have only returned 3.5 percent on average. Most hedge fund managers have stayed away from bitcoin. However, the few that have included it are significantly outperforming their peers.

Hedge fundsHedge Funds Are Quietly Investing in Bitcoin are investment funds whose clients are accredited or institutional investors. They are less regulated than mutual funds since they are not subject to strict rules designed to protect investors. Some of them are not even required to register or file public reports with financial regulators.

https://news.bitcoin.com/hedge-funds-investing-bitcoin/
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4060
Merit: 1303

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 01:13:15 PM

And now seemingly talking their book. 😀
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 01:21:34 PM

Everyone tries to benefit from Bitcoin, and rightfully so. Bitcoin has been outperforming basically any type of investment option/asset for years now, and this is something that will likely continue in the forthcoming years. It however surprises me that it took them this long to figure out. It's more a far fantasy than something actually becoming reality any time soon, but imagine what will happen when several ETF's gets approved, and institutions from around the globe allocate a few per cent of their total portfolio to Bitcoin. Shocked
Qartada

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2017, 01:39:16 PM

This whole huge growth thing is just a self fulfilling prophecy anyway.

The higher the growth goes, the more people invest in it.  Let's be honest, small transactions are impractical, so a huge amount of the reason that people are investing in it is for the money.

It's obviously not a Ponzi scheme - anyone who argues that is ignorant - but like stocks, it makes no sense.  That growth can't go on forever.

I really hope that at some point the wild speculation will mellow out and Bitcoin will have held its position as something people can actually spend.  Right now I'm getting skeptical of what's actually causing this price.

CosmicVibe

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 02:11:59 PM

That growth can't go on forever.
Important words there. I'm still struggling to understand why so many people denies the idea that we are in the third big bitcoin bubble. Every single time it went parabolic in the past, it went downhill pretty hard after. I understand each bubble has their context and this one is particularly bullish thanks to world wide media attention, but it will probably end. However maybe we are only halfway through and it might rise up to 4k or 5k, nobody knows
rpg

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 02:37:47 PM

That growth can't go on forever.
Important words there. I'm still struggling to understand why so many people denies the idea that we are in the third big bitcoin bubble. Every single time it went parabolic in the past, it went downhill pretty hard after. I understand each bubble has their context and this one is particularly bullish thanks to world wide media attention, but it will probably end. However maybe we are only halfway through and it might rise up to 4k or 5k, nobody knows

a commodity only value is to be used and consumed like gold, silver, oil, etc otherwise is worth zero, nothing. Bitcoin has no use at all as a commodity. Perhaps as a way to protect against devaluing currencies but that's a very risky proposition with BTC wild price swings. Its previous use in black market transactions is now being replaced by ALT coins. For example the hacker group Shadow Brokers only takes zcash. Alpha Bay has added monero and as of july 1st zcash. As such the future of bitcoin is very dark. For every dollar you spend in BTC someone has to replace it with another dollar otherwise BTC value will go down by a dollar. It really doesn't matter where it trades now, its all speculation. But the rise of ETH, XMR, ZEC and others shows where the market is going and what the market needs are. Unless people starts to be paid in crypto (the replenishment I talked before) the prices will go down once the speculators leave the room.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 03:15:20 PM

Think of how communications are organized on the physical layer of the Internet.

You have the really "thick" pipes, like OC-192 (10gig E), 768 and OC-1920 (99,532 Mbit/sec).

Then you have your internal connectors between large core blocks of switches from 10-gig uplinks to your standard gigabit over ethernet ports and the workhorse 100 Mbit/sec connections.

Bitcoin could end up being the "wide pipes" in the sense of value transfer, being used for larger amounts because of its running time (first-mover) and inherent security via the hashpower of the network.

Secondary transactions could be handled by protocol layers on top, or sidechain implementations that take the burden of small "bits" of wealth transfer off the main heavy-lifting "backbone".

I'm fine with this.

Every system would have its niche, and you'd use what was appropriate, just like crafting a jumbo-frame packet makes sense for a local LAN resource for file replication, but over a WAN you'd use something more friendly to TCP/IP windowing and your uplink limits.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 05:02:54 PM

In addition: Zerohedge.com also reported an article about Wall Street's migration to crypto continues.

It appears a trend is taking shape. Following a former Goldman HFT trader's massive initial coin offering, another Wall Street-er has come to the dark side of virtual currencies. A former senior manager at consulting firm Bain & Company, is launching a Bitcoin fund, providing access to the cryptocurrency to some of the wealthiest families in Latin America.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-06/wall-streets-migration-crypto-continues-former-bain-manager-opens-latam-bitcoin-fund
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2017, 09:27:07 PM

http://bitcoinist.com/cftc-approves-registration-of-bitcoin-exchange-ledgerx-as-a-swap-execution-facility-sef/

Related

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: