Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:42:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Fan Replacement: How often and How expensive?  (Read 507 times)
Storx (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 233

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 07:57:45 PM

I was just curious what is the going rate on GPU fans lasting on the mining rigs.... i ask this because im just researching the future cost of the operation as i dive deeper into it...

Of the few post i did manage to find while searching that talked briefly on it, multiple people mentioned having to replace fans within 2 years of placing them in service... so is this true?

Also what is the going price and who do yall typically go to for these fan replacements? 2 post i seen mentioned prices, 1 said it was $59 for the set of 3 on a few of his.. and another post mentioned $70 for the set on his post..

- GPUs Mining : 128 (Updated 3/7/18) // CPUs Mining : 19 (Updated 2/23/18)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 07:59:58 PM

Entirely depends on the model.

Some fans last forever while some go to shit in a dusty environment within months.

I get replacement fans from ebay. Just make sure the specs (amperage) and cables are correct.

Not your keys, not your coins!
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 08:26:51 PM

I was just curious what is the going rate on GPU fans lasting on the mining rigs.... i ask this because im just researching the future cost of the operation as i dive deeper into it...

Of the few post i did manage to find while searching that talked briefly on it, multiple people mentioned having to replace fans within 2 years of placing them in service... so is this true?

Also what is the going price and who do yall typically go to for these fan replacements? 2 post i seen mentioned prices, 1 said it was $59 for the set of 3 on a few of his.. and another post mentioned $70 for the set on his post..

generally they hold up pretty well. Ive got 270x cards that i bought for litecoin in 2014 and theyve probably had a full 2yrs of 24/7 operation (were offline for much of 2016). out of 3 cards (2 fans each), only one fan is showing signs of failure (bearing is a bit off balance and sounds 'clickity' at some rpms)

tbh you can buy entire heatsink/fan assemblies on ebay for a reasonable price, and many cards share component/mounting patterns so just because your dual-x fans fail doesnt mean a triple-x shroud isnt a possibility to replace it with. lots of people convert to watercooling and sell the unneeded shroud

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
fury420

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 10:03:41 PM

Cost on ebay seems to range from $15 to 25 per card.

How often depends on a mix of luck, and how hard you push the fans, running at 80-100% can cut the lifetime considerably.
Some will fail within the first year or so, others will last 2-3 years, some may be running just fine +5 years down the road.

My remaining 7950/280x are nearly all on their second set of fans (a couple sapphires are on their third set).
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 08:48:20 AM

Just re-oil the bearings on the fans. No need to replace.

Or just warranty them.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██