Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:19:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Boycott 0.8.2  (Read 18909 times)
pent

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 12:49:50 PM

This really isnt the place for this.. but...
This is good place for this, since I'm sure this solution also will solve spam problem. But its primary point is to build scalable, distributed, easy-accessible block chain. I'm sure if it will be built, its capacity will allow to don't take attention to any spam.

Pruning does not break chain integrity. From my somewhat limited knowledge about it, pruning just removes the body of a transaction from a block and leaves the header and its hash alone. As a result blocks can still be verified. Each client would do the pruning themselves, at which point if no copies of a old transaction are floating around then its safe to assume that everyones client removed it, it was no longer needed. Regardless im more then sure there will be a few complete unaltered blockchains around if anyone needs to look up such data. Perhaps thats something your model would work for.

I absolutely don't accept any items in chain to be abandoned. Its a history of evolution. All items in chain must be stored and accessed easily from any point of Internet. This is the main point of DHT storage: scale chain and make it easy accessible. As secondary benefit I see disappear of spam problem (disappear not spam, but problem) and ability to run full chained client on any cheap or expensive hardware.

Regarding IO capacity of HDDs, i cant say because i dont know. But it doesnt seem to be a problem yet. I also think there are more pressing issues.

This. I do know what is IO problems. They hide for a long time and appear instantly choking project in bottlenecks. My primary work is to build distributed storages for heavy random IO operations. I know what is when SATA HDD allows only 10 MBit/sec throughput on random reads. I ask you, all don't put the whole network load on one regular client!

Maybe you should write up a paper about it and see if you can get the devs to look at it and tell you if your going in the right direction.

Probably yes. I will develop one.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pent

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 12:57:52 PM

As an success example of stopping spam to be a problem - look at Google BigTable.

Has YouTube problems with spam? No.
Does it care about single video to be re-uploaded thousands of times? No.

Bigtable consists of millions cheap servers with regular SATA HDDs. I want this to be implemented in Bitcoin. It will make Bitcoin very powerful and scalable and stop spam to be a problem at all.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 02:33:12 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2013, 02:46:29 PM by jgarzik

As an success example of stopping spam to be a problem - look at Google BigTable.

Has YouTube problems with spam? No.
Does it care about single video to be re-uploaded thousands of times? No.

Bigtable consists of millions cheap servers with regular SATA HDDs. I want this to be implemented in Bitcoin. It will make Bitcoin very powerful and scalable and stop spam to be a problem at all.

All your examples are highly centralized services.

If you want to build something decentralized, that is difficult to shut down or game, then it will look different than those examples.

Bigtable was not built to check for cheating in those millions of cheap servers Smiley

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Eri

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:59:48 AM

@Pent and Lucif

This thread isnt the place to discuss projects that dont exist in any form. If you want to suggest your thinking regarding it, may i suggest you start your own thread, and if its that important just link to it from here. While conversation is mostly dead in this thread, id still call this off topic.

Your project doesnt solve the spam problem. 1000 PCs or 1 PC, if you allow spam its going to fill the bockchain with sludge that we cant get rid of. Regardless! reducing spam at the vary least reduces the blockchain size, according to your model that would reduce the amount of space required on each users computer across your distributed network, which we all know is a good thing regardless of whether were talking about bitcoin in general or your project.

The blockchains main purpose is to be a decentralized list of all bitcoins in existence and what address they belong to. It does not serve the purpose of 'storing what amount belongs to who' by perpetually storing old data from old transactions that are no longer relevant to the users. If you wanted to make a project to store the entire blockchain for those that might want it, Go for it. But it doesnt need to be the single main feature of bitcoin and it is far from sustainable regardless of the model used.

Congratulations on your ability to quote and bold something i said in plain english for all to read while at the same time failing to address the issue with exception of you giving me your assurance it will work.

PS. If your really serious about this project then you really need to write something up that has sources for information.
jpn999

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 09:52:03 PM

I can no l0nger use bitcoin on either a mac or windows. I cant even install the client on windows without errors and my mac is unuseable with bitcoin-qt. Yes you should boycott it, because the coding is fucking  shit.
Try Linux.

He shouldn't have to try anything. The core development team, doesn't even code anymore they all do work for other bitcoin companies and have lost focus on what is really important.

But... Linux is imo plain old way better than those OS's are. Why should bitcoin bow to inferior operating systems? Popular use is cool, but I'd be happier about 10% of all linux users using btc than 11% of windows users using it. (Note that i have no idea what these numbers actually imply.)

Considering Mac is on par with linux I don't care about either one of them. I have even removed bitcoind from my servers, I built my own client using bitcoinj.

Is posible working with this program in a old computer (if dont have a video card)Huh
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  All
  Print  

Jump to: