Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:23:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: The bitcoin 0.8.2. build is supposed to block transactions of less than 5430 Satoshi's, Good or Bad move?
It's a good idea
It's a good idea, But not at 5430 Satoshi
It's a bad idea
It's a bad idea, It should be a lower # of btc
It's a temporary fix that should adjust with price
It's a temporary fix that should be revised later

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 0.8.2. What do you think?  (Read 17078 times)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:04:23 PM

You're attempting convince others in this forum to believe in the arguments you're presenting.  Nobody is going to take you seriously when you present your arguments like a 15 year old girl texting her friends.  Simply review your response to me.  Who is going to take your views, versus the developers, regarding the changes to the bitcoin protocol seriously when you can't formulate a proper sentence.

Well you don't even understand the changes so how do you know my argument isn't correct or correct? It isn't a change to the protocol, it is to the client. You just a follower, not even going to waste even more replies on you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:08:40 PM

You're attempting convince others in this forum to believe in the arguments you're presenting.  Nobody is going to take you seriously when you present your arguments like a 15 year old girl texting her friends.  Simply review your response to me.  Who is going to take your views, versus the developers, regarding the changes to the bitcoin protocol seriously when you can't formulate a proper sentence.

Well you don't even understand the changes so how do you know my argument isn't correct or correct? It isn't a change to the protocol, it is to the client. You just a follower, not even going to waste even more replies on you.

Trying to talk to a wall is impossible. They won't ever get it, they will follow and do what ever the dictator says or does. :/

Another words, they will follow

no matter what.
nikkisnowe

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:10:04 PM

It's, "You're just a follower, therefore I'm not even going..."

"In other words..."
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 07:11:46 PM

I'm curious. Those who feel this shouldn't exist, then how do you propose we eliminate vacuous transactions meant to bog down the network?

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:15:07 PM

Trying to talk to a wall is impossible. They won't ever get it, they will follow and do what ever the dictator says or does. :/

no matter what.

I know they rather try and take the thread off-topic before even learning what they are debating about if you can even call it debating LOL.

I'm curious. Those who feel this shouldn't exist, then how do you propose we eliminate vacuous transactions meant to bog down the network?

That isn't my job, that is why Gavin gets a salary he should be working on that. Instead he just puts a temp patch and goes on a walk for an interview.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 07:18:16 PM

That isn't my job, that is why Gavin gets a salary he should be working on that. Instead he just puts a temp patch and goes on a walk for an interview.

I would advocate leaving this decision to miners. Miners should have the ability to form a marketplace for what they will confirm in a block and what they won't confirm. Would you accept this system?

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
pekv2

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:22:50 PM

no matter what.

I know they rather try and take the thread off-topic before even learning what they are debating about if you can even call it debating LOL.

This decision still makes my skin crawl, because I know it is wrong to do, it is unethical. My skin crawls when I think of big bankers, because I know they are evil motherfuckers. I just cannot believe how many followers there are. It's like the ones that state, usa is not a police state, makes my skin fucking crawl. /venting
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:24:07 PM

I would advocate leaving this decision to miners. Miners should have the ability to form a marketplace for what they will confirm in a block and what they won't confirm. Would you accept this system?

We have had this conversation over and over, and it is getting really hard to keep answering the same questions again and again. So just look in the thread you should be able to find it.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:26:59 PM

This decision still makes my skin crawl, because I know it is wrong to do, it is unethical. My skin crawls when I think of big bankers, because I know they are evil motherfuckers. I just cannot believe how many followers there are. It's like the ones that state, usa is not a police state, makes my skin fucking crawl. /venting

I know... The best part is that everyone just ignores us, cause they can't be bothered with the truth. It makes me so angry and sad at the same time.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 07:27:28 PM

Gweedo you need to be a bit more patient with people. You're attacking Gavin for doing something and then when I ask what would you like to do you say it's not my job. Ok, I gather that so I ask about an alternative system. I'm sorry if someone asked this before, I just came to this thread.

But let me ask a slightly broader question. Do you still feel the bitcoin protocol reflects your philosophy? Or has the time come in your opinion for a fork?

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:28:28 PM

It's a good idea    68 (26.3%)
It's a good idea, But not at 5430 Satoshi    12 (4.6%)
It's a bad idea    86 (33.2%)
It's a bad idea, It should be a lower # of btc    3 (1.2%)
It's a temporary fix that should adjust with price    32 (12.4%)
It's a temporary fix that should be revised later    58 (22.4%)
Total Voters: 259

Just want to point out majority think it is a bad idea...  this voting hasn't changed "It's a bad idea" has been in the lead the whole time.
nikkisnowe

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:29:09 PM

All you need to do is change your config file.  It's not too difficult.  I'd suggest that you develop your own client but changing the config file of 8.2 would be simpler.  Your "problem" is solved.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 07:30:59 PM

All you need to do is change your config file.  It's not too difficult.  I'd suggest that you develop your own client but changing the config file of 8.2 would be simpler.  Your "problem" is solved.

If Bitcoin is going to become mainstream, then this is a bad idea. We need to understand the vast majority of new users will just accept the default configuration. It is unrealistic to expect anything else.

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:31:38 PM

Gweedo you need to be a bit more patient with people. You're attacking Gavin for doing something and then when I ask what would you like to do you say it's not my job. Ok, I gather that so I ask about an alternative system. I'm sorry if someone asked this before, I just came to this thread.

But let me ask a slightly broader question. Do you still feel the bitcoin protocol reflects your philosophy? Or has the time come in your opinion for a fork?

I am not a attacking Gavin. I am saying what I don't like, just like a president (didn't use that word on accident), I am voicing my opinion. That is like asking "Bob why is alice failing at her job" well bob would answer "I don't know I don't study her job I do my own jobs, I know the outline of what her job should be and she doesn't deliver that so I would say no she isn't"

The bitcoin protocol doesn't reflect my views currently on that aspect. Would I said it is time for a fork I don't know yet.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:32:30 PM

All you need to do is change your config file.  It's not too difficult.  I'd suggest that you develop your own client but changing the config file of 8.2 would be simpler.  Your "problem" is solved.

That isn't true at all, if the miners don't change there config with is on by default then they are supporting the change and you are forced to go with it.
pekv2

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:33:26 PM

All you need to do is change your config file.  It's not too difficult.  I'd suggest that you develop your own client but changing the config file of 8.2 would be simpler.  Your "problem" is solved.

Problem is not solved, because it is there in the first place.
pekv2

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:36:04 PM

It's a good idea    68 (26.3%)
It's a good idea, But not at 5430 Satoshi    12 (4.6%)
It's a bad idea    86 (33.2%)
It's a bad idea, It should be a lower # of btc    3 (1.2%)
It's a temporary fix that should adjust with price    32 (12.4%)
It's a temporary fix that should be revised later    58 (22.4%)
Total Voters: 259

Just want to point out majority think it is a bad idea...  this voting hasn't changed "It's a bad idea" has been in the lead the whole time.

Fixed :p , bolded "it's a bad idea"
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:36:32 PM

Great so you agree that 0.8.2 is a great solution because .... it does leave it up to miners.  It replaced a constant with a variable that has a a default value one any node can modify.  If a miner wants to include tx which has 1 satoshi outputs using 0.8.2 they can.  If they want to require no fee for a giant 200KB tx which spams the network by having 500,000 1 satoshi outputs ... they can.

So what is the problem? 
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 07:41:09 PM

Would I said it is time for a fork I don't know yet.

If I could get Peter Thiel and Paul Allen to join a new foundation for a new cryptocurrency that preserves some of the best features of Bitcoin, yet implements some of the features of the Hard Fork wishlist. Would you consider adopting it?

I was thinking about a system with 100 million bitcoin2.0s with 21 million premined and given to a special exchange allowing bitcoiners to convert their holdings in btc to btc2.0 on a 1-1 conversion rate. Miners would have control of transaction fees by a market system. Perhaps develop a P2P currency exchange to eliminate the need for a Mtgox.

I might write a whitepaper over the Summer.  

nikkisnowe

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:48:48 PM

Why would you think that this update to the client necessitates a fork in the protocol?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: