Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 02:56:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 7x GPU (RX 580) mining rig flashing bios  (Read 952 times)
Nizo (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 03:17:25 AM

Hey mates! I am going to build my first and second mining rigs within 2 weeks. I've ordered all the hardware needed and I've been reading and watching a lot of YouTube videos about how to flash and mode the GPU to get more hashing rates. But I've been trying to find information about my concerns without success so I hope you guys could help me, hopefully Smiley

Now to my worries.. I want to use EthOS (running on a USB drive) for my rigs since it seems very simple and more stable with 7 GPU cards, but i also want to flash (and maybe modd) my cards..

For my first rig, I will use the moderboard, CPU, PSU, Ram SSD from my current PC. Can I just shut down the PC and take out the parts and build my mining rig with them without re installing Windows and so on before I do that?

When I've got the mining rig set up with the PC parts and the new 7x GPUs and ready to start for the first time, can I just connect the old SSD with the old Windows in it and Flash the new Cards (will this flash be saved within the GPU itself or does it get saved on the win 10 OS?

And then restart the rig but with the EthOS installed on a USB and run that instead of Windows on the SSD ?

Hopefully you understand what I mean, very confusing..
BeerMan81

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2017, 05:57:46 AM

You have a lot of enthusiasm, but i would suggest take a more cautious approach. I also used my main machine for a bit, but I later stopped that.

Yes, you can start mining on Windows. But, i would suggest that you connect one card, test the waters (as they say). See what the card is capable of etc. Don't worry about flashing, as you are trying to tackle too much at once ( I made the same mistake as well).

Install Afterburner and make sure these settings are good . Test the watts, test the memory, clock speeds etc. Take it slow. Find a good stable config.

Once you have a good 24-48 burn-in on that one card (without crashing ofc), then you are ready to move on. ( This is not as easy at it sounds).

Set up ethOS on ur SSD. Set up your local panel, bios update, 4G decode enabled, perhaps other settings as well... Learn a bit of linux.

If you wanna flash vBios, thats fine, but wait until you have the rig running and learn the ropes. (perhaps once you get a new mobo). To answer your question, your flash stays with the card, tuning settings do not.

Lots of new content coming soon! - https://www.youtube.com/BeerMan81
All-in-one dashboard to monitor coin prices, wallet balances, and your ming pools. Free!
https://mycryptostats.com/?ref=f1440f27
Nizo (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 05:27:42 PM

Thanks for your time and respons Smiley Yes i guess you're right about that, maybe i am rushing into things too fast Grin Does it matter if i run the EthOs on a USB drive or SSD drive? Here is what i got to work with, so you guys get a better picture of things.

Here is what i wonder, can i just pick apart my current PC and start building my mining rig from the parts without actually re-installing Windows or doing any other software changes? Remove the current GPU Radeon R9 280X and its drivers, plug in the other GPUs (1x to begin with and test it and flash it later if necessary and then the rest 6x)? 

Will i able to use Windows 10 on the SSD in the new rig since the only change i made is add new GPUs and install new drivers for the GPUs ofcourse and remove the old R9 280x Drivers?

When i see that the cards are working fine and happy with the performance, can i just use an 32GB USB with EthOS installed on it and plug it in and run it stable? Or should i install the EthOS on the SSD drive?
It confuses me since ive read that Windows isnt stable and even less stable with 7x Cards running in the rig, even tho its easier to change settings, volting and use a better modd than stock in Windows 10 than it is in EthOS..

I just want to try to figure some things out before i get my hardware and starts building Smiley

MY current PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K / 3.5 GHz S-1150
Moderboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 5, S-1150 ATX
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz
GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II TOP
SSD: Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

RIG 1: This Rig is build with parts from my current PC, which i wont be needing anyway

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K / 3.5 GHz S-1150
Moderboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 5, S-1150 ATX
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR4 2133MHz
GPU: 7x ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB ROG Strix TOP Gaming
SSD: Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB or 32 GB USB 3.0 Drive
PSU: Corsair HX1200, 1200W (Powering everything and 4x GPUs) and OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W (Powering 3x GPUs)

RIG 2: All new parts except the 8GB memory and Intel SSD.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4500 / 3.5 GHz processor S-1151
Moderboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 S-1151 ATX
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR4 2133MHz
GPU: 7x Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8GB
SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB or 32 GB USB 3.0 Drive
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX1000 1000Watt 80 PLUS Platinum (Powering everything and 4x GPUs) and Corsair CS750m 750Watt 80 PLUS Gold (Powering 3x GPUs)

Nizo (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:09:10 PM

I guess its time for an update, for those who are interested Smiley

In the beginning when i got interested in mining and cryptos, everything was scary and it was pretty hard to get my hands on some GPUs since they were all sold out and i had to wait several months to actually get some of them and i had to cancel and order new ones several times since they were out of stock. I was going to buy all AMD cards for my riggs but in the end i ended up with 16x Nvidia GTX1060's 12x AMD RX580's so it was not as i planned but it worked out well in the end and now my riggs are all up and running.

Since i was new to mining and all that, it was very hard in the start and i had to search the entire internet for answers to my problems, hardware and software problems. I still got some problems with some of the riggs but its mostly heat issues, well its not a problem but i wish to lower them even more. My AMD riggs are pretty cool, running at 65% Fan speed @ 55-65C but my Nvidia Cards are running at 70% fan speed @ 65-74C and these are the cards i want to lower, the temp is okey i guess but i wish to lower the fan speed so they are live longer. I even got an Air condition in the room but its still "to hot".

This is how the room and riggs where built and placed but i had to change it cuz of some heat issues in the room.

https://imgur.com/a/H5NJY

This is how the room and the riggs look nowadays and i think i will rebuild it once again trying to lower the overall temp and fan speeds.

https://imgur.com/xqjhRxW

At the moment i am Mining only Ethereum since its the most profitable for me right now and i think i will Switch over to Monero when Ethereum goes into PoS but until then nothing is for sure. My current hashrate is 680 MH/s for Ethereum only and i am mining @ Nanopool. Its a nice pool and they have a nice application for smartphones where you can monitor your riggs, current hashrate and payouts which is great! Smiley

For questions about the hardware and software recommendations, feel free to ask and ill try to respond as quickly as i can Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: