Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:07:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reason behind attack?  (Read 2599 times)
JTaBitCoinKing (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:19:37 PM

Dose this have anything to do with Silk Road? Did they attack MTGox because they agreed to give their users info away to the DOJ?

Was it Silk Road that did it? Or Lulzsec? Dose Lulzsec protect Silk Road?

Or was this just a psychopath trying to burn the world?

Or is this something even more sinister? I remember some people in the military telling me that the DOD consistently has technology 40 years ahead of consumer technology. Something like that could crack any of our security in a few seconds.

Moon lizards anyone?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
handburger

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:25:40 PM

Why?  There was money to be made.  Shaking up confidence will cause a huge sell off, get in low, sell at the rebound. 
Tx2000

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:30:15 PM

Greed.  Human nature.  As long as something of value is out there, some people are going to be out there trying to get it, no matter the consequences to others in the process.

Houdini

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:31:13 PM

I think the most likely scenario is that it was an attack from someone who wants bitcoins to fail (because of competition or politics).
Bezza

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:32:22 PM

Financial gain that simple really and he only made $1000.
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:33:02 PM

Some people, Mister Wayne, Just want to watch the world burn.
max3t

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:34:49 PM

$1000 in btc I heared and they were worth 0.01$ back then. so he made 100k btc which is quite more than $1000.
bitebitebite

Activity: 95

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:47:29 PM

made me lol.
Desu

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:49:10 PM

Who knows? CIA?   
JTaBitCoinKing (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:52:37 PM

Is it related to the wallet stealing file? Same hacker maybe?

I'm wondering if it's just one or more psychopathic hacker(s) out there that's trying to get as meany Bitcoins as they can. That's something I fear because it means, they just won't stop. Ultimately dooming the Bitcoin by their own greed; the same way heroin addict ODs.

I would feel much safer if I knew it was just hackavism for announcing alliance with the DOJ. If that's the case, these hackers aren't attacking Bitcoin specifically: just indirectly.
Desu

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:02:39 PM

Who knows? CIA?   
Like A scare tatic?
Houdini

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:02:45 PM

Who knows? CIA?   
Maybe the Milk Road (the notorious international Amish crime syndicate) ?
jkminkov

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:24:50 PM

do you believe in that crap that only $1000 were lost?

I bet there will be numerous accounts locked and money scammed for insufficient evidence provided about ownership.

.:31211457:. 100 dollars in one place talking - Dudes, hooray, Bitcoin against us just one, but we are growing in numbers!
chiliftw

Activity: 86

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:32:35 PM

Since they use bitcoin theirselves and have (probably) a bitcoin enthusiast in their own ranks, I think they made it on the one hand for the lulz, on the other hand for more security. It is (at least in the country I am living) a damn old law that at first something severe has to happen before (known) weak spots get real attention and finally fixed - nevertheless, the happening is severe. MtGox is improving security for sure now. Seriously, since Bitcoin business is gaining more and more it was better to have this now than in one or two years, with much more capital in the market, much higher market price and maybe then from hackers not telling everybody about the compromised database... I think Bitcoin will come out of the crisis strengthened, same as MtGox and all users of this forum - we are all using very good passwords now Grin
neneko

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:38:57 PM

I think it was simply for the money.

We'll see when Mt. Gox goes up again if it was actually true that only one account was compromised. I have a hard time believing that actually since the hackers obviously had the option to get into more than one. What I find much more likely is that a lot of people will have bitcoins missing from their accounts. The main reason I can think of to crash the market would be that it allows you to withdraw a large amounts of bitcoins from accounts without hitting the $1k limit. I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to empty a lot of Mt Gox accounts of their bitcoins.
oneforall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:51:28 PM

Since they use bitcoin theirselves and have (probably) a bitcoin enthusiast in their own ranks, I think they made it on the one hand for the lulz, on the other hand for more security. It is (at least in the country I am living) a damn old law that at first something severe has to happen before (known) weak spots get real attention and finally fixed - nevertheless, the happening is severe. MtGox is improving security for sure now. Seriously, since Bitcoin business is gaining more and more it was better to have this now than in one or two years, with much more capital in the market, much higher market price and maybe then from hackers not telling everybody about the compromised database... I think Bitcoin will come out of the crisis strengthened, same as MtGox and all users of this forum - we are all using very good passwords now Grin

+1

This particular thread is testament to how much this forum has changed. It used to be that level headed realizations like chiliftws post abounded here. Now days you must search thru miles of muck and reaction seekers to find these gems. this answer was exactly what i thought the instant i saw the question in the subject. I was disappointed but not surprised that i had to scroll down past 14 posts to finally see one that wasn't a joke or unreasonable.

BTW - I have nothing against jokes, they can be used very effectively to convey points.
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:05:51 PM

This.
JTaBitCoinKing (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:39:10 PM

I'm new to Bitcoin, I found out about it a few days ago on Adam vs. The Man.

All I know is that Bitcoin is fighting the FED and the FED put the friggin Eye of Lucifer on the dollar bill in 1913, by the same president that got us into WWI!!! If the US never got involved in WWI then the later wars probably wouldn't have happened ether: and a lot of people would still be alive. Being the kid of a Vet, I was always told of the brave sacrifice of the men and woman who died for our freedom....

...Strange, seems to me men and woman keep dying for freedom and things keep getting less free...

...If we didn't have Bitcoin, I would probably be forced into the corporation owned military. Instead, I can fight the real enemies of freedom, not die, actually work towards a New World Order that is beneficial to everyone; All while I figure out some way to support myself without the institutions. What a Firggen great deal!

Seeing as this deal is so good, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pentagon was behind the(se) attack(s). And I can't help but jump to speculation.
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 10:55:43 PM

My guess:

Hacker kid gets database via lamest 'sploit ever (trojan), posts it to a group of other hackers to show off and get cred, everyone rushes to get in and raid the accounts before the list spreads too far. Everyone is operating against the clock working against each other to crack passwords and cash out quickly before they're noticed, one of them hits the jackpot account and decides to sell all those BTC in a panic and puts an end to the game.

Reason behind attack: dynamics of a group of script kiddies, mistrust, one-upmanship and a lust for drama.
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336

yung lean

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:04:59 PM

It wasnt $1,000. It was $1,000 worth of bitcoins while the price was at $0.01, or 100,000 bitcoins. at the $17.50 price mt gox will open at, thats 1.75 million dollars.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: