Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:35:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If BTC splits, what happens to my coins in my wallet?  (Read 1400 times)
Astvile

Activity: 1484
Merit: 276

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 11:24:42 PM

I have read in some group chats in telegram that once bitcoins splits your bitcoins balance in your own wallet or an exchange wallet may be gone,in other way bitcoins in the wallet that will be lost maybe replace by some coins (the hard fork) thats what they say

[ monero.cx ]        CREATE A NEW EXCHANGE
  Contact Us            PGP Key            Mirror URLs  |
████████████EXCHANGE ████████████
Tyrantt

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:46:41 AM

I have read in some group chats in telegram that once bitcoins splits your bitcoins balance in your own wallet or an exchange wallet may be gone,in other way bitcoins in the wallet that will be lost maybe replace by some coins (the hard fork) thats what they say

So you're saying that there's a pretty high chance of us losing a portion of our balance when bitcoin splits? or do we get like balance split on two addresses?

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2017, 08:08:40 AM

The participants of those groups are outright baboons. Block them all.

So you're saying that there's a pretty high chance of us losing a portion of our balance when bitcoin splits? or do we get like balance split on two addresses?
No. Don't listen to idiots. There are two scenarios:
1) You hold Bitcoin on a exchange or service which does not provide you with private keys.
2) You hold Bitcoin on addresses to which you own the private keys to (Bitcoin Core, Electrum, Mycelium, Paper wallets, etc.).

Case 1: Whatever your exchange decides will happen with your Bitcoin. They may offer you to withdraw on multiple chains or not.
Case 2: You have coins on every single chain. If you want to spend on the e.g. Bitmaincoin chain, then you need to import your private key(s) into their wallet.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ornabldo

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 03:54:35 PM

I don't know particularly about the split, but before with other altcoins, the coins will be linked to the address and the private key, even if in a different platform if you have the private key you should have access to the coins in both platforms.
Rather than worrying about the bitcoins themselves, The more worrying thing is the value, if a fork with a large number of developers happen, the value of bitcoins would fall to low prices in my opinion.

lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 04:39:21 PM

What if i am using a dynamic bitcoin address wherein i don't have my private key ? My bitcoin address is from coins.ph. i hope someone can answer this. If ever that i won't be able to use my Bitcoin address then i should send all my Bitcoin to other bitcoin address that where i can get a private key.
Don't you think it's best practice to use a wallet which you have full control of? i would advice you withdraw your coins from exchangers/web wallets to a wallet where you have full control(electrum or mycelium).
pinkpanther03

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:21:01 PM

So all this talk of a hard fork, which i essentially understand...

But if such a thing happens. What happens to the BTC in my wallet if it splits?

I am less interested oin what it will do to value etc, that is another topic. but do I now have two lots of BTC. what is the process of tirning for example.

One wallet with one BTC before the split, to two wallets with the two resulting coins?

Laymans terms please.
All of this things was just an speculations by different communities of bitcoin believer. But honestly, this won't be happen I know there are still bitcoin enthusiast will not allow it to be happen.
Chin Cheng

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:46:53 PM

Hope you were around when Vitalik Buterin suddenly wanted to fork ethereum and during that time i did have my doubts and sold off some of my coins even though it was said that the split will give you two coins and nothing will happen,but since i was seeing and hearing those things for the first time i wanted to be cautious  Wink and even if a hard fork happens in bitcoin if you are having the private key to your coins then you will be having coins from both the chains.
Muzika

Activity: 980
Merit: 261

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:53:56 PM

I have a question in mind about this split, i understand that if i have 1btc before the fork, i will have 1btc in chain A and 1btc in chain B, lets say I am using Mycelium wallet and sent all my balance to an address, how will i know if it will go to chain A or chain B? If it goes to chain A, how could i use my coins in chain B?
freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 07:24:40 PM

This is like Ethereum and Ethereum classic.
No.

The real worry is not split, the real worry is for BTC keeps its leading position.
No.

We have already seen this when Ether forked, now we have ETH and ETC. However, one is OK and the other one is AWESOME!

The same will happen with BTC. There will be one BTC and the other one will become an alt coin.
Just so we are clear, the current coin using the abbreviation ETH is the altcoin. ETC is the original and real Ethereum.

The ratio of the new coins will remain same, 1:1.. However, the price will differ. So it will be more of a loss than profit. The exchangers will also register it as a new crypocoin, so...
The combined price would most definitely be lower than the current price.
If ETC is the main ethereum then why people aren't buying it to pump it's price? does ETC have the same functionality of ETH?

If ethereum could split like a cell when it splits it has all the things of the main cell, in other words they are copies of each other.

Is ETC an identical copy of ETH? by the way why ETH doesn't have a total supply? you seem to know a lot about it, that's why I'm asking.

Anyone saying Bitcoin will split and price will crash bla bla bla is just doing this to cause a panic in market, this is the Chinese style

Of manipulating us, I wouldn't believe for a second all the doomsday scenarios whatsoever.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2017, 02:18:34 PM

I have a question in mind about this split, i understand that if i have 1btc before the fork, i will have 1btc in chain A and 1btc in chain B, lets say I am using Mycelium wallet and sent all my balance to an address, how will i know if it will go to chain A or chain B? If it goes to chain A, how could i use my coins in chain B?
Simple: Depends on which the chain the wallet is. That should be fairly trivial to find out as there would certainly be a lot of articles regarding wallet support of chain A/B.

If ETC is the main ethereum then why people aren't buying it to pump it's price?
ETH is 99% speculation, not value.

does ETC have the same functionality of ETH?
It does, unless ETH made some kind of upgrades that ETC did not.

Is ETC an identical copy of ETH?
ETC is essentially the ETH up until the DAO bailout. That's where the current ETH (Ethereum is a trademark IIRC) diverges from ETC. Everything was the same up until that point in time. Moving forward, they differ when it comes to balances. Feature wise they should be near identical.

by the way why ETH doesn't have a total supply? you seem to know a lot about it, that's why I'm asking.
Because Vitalik (almost) dictates the rules. He has not made his mind up yet apparently.

Anyone saying Bitcoin will split and price will crash bla bla bla is just doing this to cause a panic in market, this is the Chinese style

Of manipulating us, I wouldn't believe for a second all the doomsday scenarios whatsoever.
Of course. Chain split or not, just HODL.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: