Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:35:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: (LTC Reward) Gigabyte 7950 - Settings Nightmare  (Read 15548 times)
Chiz (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:05:53 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 01:28:30 AM by Chiz

Alright I am trying so many different combinations of settings for the 7950 in CGMiner from this site here
https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/wiki/Mining-hardware-comparison#wiki-ATI_AMD_GPUs

I already did the MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100 thing in just a normal CMD (btw I am on Windows)
but first off, I cant have a thread concurrency of over 11,000, I get the disabling gpu/thread kernel error, even though it says 22400 when I do the auto tune type test for it. So Idk the problem there.

Tells me Memory click of 1600 is outta the safe zone, I got it to over 600 at one point but the thing got to 95 damn degrees, even on Intensity 16, I got it up to like 78-80 degrees. Can you guys help me figure out why it's getting so damn hot, btw when it does or I change some of these settings, the card just locks up and I have to reboot. So really would like answers/settings, it's the Gigabyte 3 fan 7950, using latest CGminer, my .bat I just keep switching around. Getting annoyed

25 LTC reward to whoever gives me the best solutions (if its a tie I'll split it up accordingly)

EDIT: Also, when I change the memory inside of CGMiner when it's running, the display I have hooked up to it goes black and my mouse freezes on the display thats hooked up to my Nvidia card
EDIT: Like right now, I have it working. If I just leave the stock clock and mem at 1000/1250 and 10600 threads at an intensity of 18, I get almost 600K/hash but the temp is 84C, like this is ridiculous.
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:21:08 AM

try the AMD GPU on its own, with NO nVidia in the mix.
Chiz (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:24:16 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 01:37:03 AM by Chiz

Like what do you mean? Like take the card out? Cause the Nvidia card isn't being used by CGMiner, the plan is to later use CUDAMiner on that one (which I've confirmed is working well) but the 7950, first of all I couldnt even get it to show up in CGMiner until I plugged a display into it, now every time I change the Memclock in CGMiner it crashes I guess you'd say, and Idk why it gets hot so quick and easily. Plus the thread issue, I should be doing over 20k and I can only allow 10k. Ugh.

Also in my pool stats it says my card is only getting 46 k'hash
Chiz (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:40:57 AM

Ummmmm weird problem I just tested now too. When I launched CUDAMiner to work on the GTX 570, it like turned off CGMiner or something, the hash rate is like 62/khash now on the card and I can hear the fans stopped spinning as fast and the temp is 60 now. What's the problem? I thought you could run these separately at the same time.
darksoft

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:06:52 AM

Here's what I have for my cgminer config:

-I 20 -w 256 -g 1 --lookup-gap 2 --thread-concurrency 21712

core at 1025/ mem at 1500 but I have an airconditioner blowing on it and stays in the 60's - close to 600k
at mem 1400 between 550-580k and the 60's

you can drop downto -I 18 or -I 16

is it in a case with it closed?

endriuska

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:39:44 AM

I just got 3x7950 (i had 2x7970), and i was having a hard time tunning them up, however now im getting 570-580 no problems.

I couldn't boost thread-concurrency so i had to stick wtih 8192... if i got more than -i 13 the temp spikes a lot. The rig is in my garage where it's 80F inside, so i had to buy a fan from walmart 9" so it blows all the heat out. here are my settings:

hope that helps

note, i could probably get to 600 but the temp would be 78-80 something like that
Chiz (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:42:56 AM

I just got 3x7950 (i had 2x7970), and i was having a hard time tunning them up, however now im getting 570-580 no problems.

I couldn't boost thread-concurrency so i had to stick wtih 8192... if i got more than -i 13 the temp spikes a lot. The rig is in my garage where it's 80F inside, so i had to buy a fan from walmart 9" so it blows all the heat out. here are my settings:

http://gyazo.com/e5506703d9277605a78737c33e3e2344.png

hope that helps

note, i could probably get to 600 but the temp would be 78-80 something like that

Did you do the overclocking/memory clocking just in CGminer or did you use an actual program, cause anytime I raise my memory clock in CGminer and hit okay and run it, my screen dies and it all locks up.
sdczen

Activity: 52

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 07:12:44 AM

Alright I am trying so many different combinations of settings for the 7950 in CGMiner from this site here
https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/wiki/Mining-hardware-comparison#wiki-ATI_AMD_GPUs

I already did the MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100 thing in just a normal CMD (btw I am on Windows)
but first off, I cant have a thread concurrency of over 11,000, I get the disabling gpu/thread kernel error, even though it says 22400 when I do the auto tune type test for it. So Idk the problem there.

Tells me Memory click of 1600 is outta the safe zone, I got it to over 600 at one point but the thing got to 95 damn degrees, even on Intensity 16, I got it up to like 78-80 degrees. Can you guys help me figure out why it's getting so damn hot, btw when it does or I change some of these settings, the card just locks up and I have to reboot. So really would like answers/settings, it's the Gigabyte 3 fan 7950, using latest CGminer, my .bat I just keep switching around. Getting annoyed

25 LTC reward to whoever gives me the best solutions (if its a tie I'll split it up accordingly)

EDIT: Also, when I change the memory inside of CGMiner when it's running, the display I have hooked up to it goes black and my mouse freezes on the display thats hooked up to my Nvidia card
EDIT: Like right now, I have it working. If I just leave the stock clock and mem at 1000/1250 and 10600 threads at an intensity of 18, I get almost 600K/hash but the temp is 84C, like this is ridiculous.

These are the things I would try:
1. Verify that the MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100 is in your user environmental variables window.  >Control panel>Search "Var">"edit the system environmental variables">Evironmental Variables>User variables for USERNAME.  If the variable isn't listed here, then click new and input the variable name and value.
2. Use Cgminer 3.1.0
3. Go to cgminer folder and delete all scrypt.bin files listed. (Before you run cgminer!)
4. Edit your .bat file with no overclock settings.  --scrypt --thread-concurrency 8192 -g2 --auto-fan --auto-gpu --intensity 13 --worksize 256
5. Run cgminer with the new settings.
6. Run Afterburner (download & install if you haven't already).
6a. Edit Afterburner.cfg add these settings:
UnofficialOverclockingEULA   = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode   = 1
UnofficialOverclockingDrvReset   = 1
7. In afterburner, goto settings and check the following: "Unlock voltage control", "Unlock voltage monitoring", "Force constant voltage", hit OK, restart Afterburner.
8. Open afterburner.  Check to see if you have a voltage number listed.  If you do not, then your voltage is most likely locked.
9. Adjust Memory clock to 1550 - 1600 (no more (yet)), adjust Core clock to 1050-1100.
10.  After each adjustment, monitor cgminer hash rate for a minute or two.  This should net you 550 - 600 Kh/s.
11.  If your voltage is unlocked, then slowly lower your core voltage downwards by increments of 10.  Let it run for a minute to check for stability.  Then lower again, until you lose stability.  You'll probably have to reboot a time or two.  Find where it locks up, and increase the voltage back up by 5-10 until system is stable.  Lowering voltage should reduce your temps by 5-10C

Always make sure, that every time you make a change to cgminer's settings, to delete the scrypt.bin file it created.  Always!  Hope this helps.

M

--Edit/add  Once you find a stable overclock and voltage using Afterburner.  Place those settings into your cgminer .bat file and remove the "auto gpu".  Also, if your gpu is throttling (fast/slow), then try adjusting your power limit to 5%, higher if needed.
inspireweb.ro

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:29:51 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 08:12:01 AM by inspireweb.ro

Try this in cgminer --intensity 13 --gpu-threads 2 --worksize 256 --vectors 2 (or 1 just test it) --shaders 1792 --thread-concurrency 8100 or 8092 or 12192 and overclock at 1135Mhz core and 1495Mhz mem. I get ~600Kh/s .
Try drivers 13.5 Beta and APP SDK 2.7 .

edit: i have sapphire 7950 vapor-x
Cryptocables

Activity: 270
Merit: 220

CQ - I make High Voltage glowy things.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 08:06:11 AM

Are you using a Gigabyte 7950? If you are, I recommend that you make sure you flash the card down to the F43 bios. Additionally, try this config in a .bat file -- it seems to work with a lot of folks having the same issue as you. Hopefully it'll get you at the very least, stable. Let me know how it works out, good luck!

Code:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1

cgminer --scrypt --shaders 1792 --gpu-engine 925 --gpu-memclock 1250 --temp-target 75 -I 18 -w 256 --lookup-gap 2 --thread-concurrency 21712 -g 1 --auto-gpu --auto-fan -o stratum+tcp://yourpoolinfo:yourport# -u usrname -p password

⚡ VOLTAGE GOAT ⚡
🐐 https://www.voltagegoat.com
🐐 http://www.twitter.com/VoltageGoat

High Voltage Crypto Illuminations. Neons, Nixies, Numitrons, ++ more Smiley
Official Launchpad of the Numitron Bitcoin Ticker Rocket
Chiz (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:25:23 AM

Are you using a Gigabyte 7950? If you are, I recommend that you make sure you flash the card down to the F43 bios. Additionally, try this config in a .bat file -- it seems to work with a lot of folks having the same issue as you. Hopefully it'll get you at the very least, stable. Let me know how it works out, good luck!

Code:

cgminer --scrypt --shaders 1792 --gpu-engine 925 --gpu-memclock 1250 --temp-target 75 -I 18 -w 256 --lookup-gap 2 --thread-concurrency 21712 -g 1 --auto-gpu --auto-fan -o stratum+tcp://yourpoolinfo:yourport# -u usrname -p password
I heard of having to do the flash F43, doesn't that unlock the voltage ability or undervolt it? What exactly does it do. I will try this later, is there anyway to flash the Bios with that without having to put it on a USB thumb drive, anyway to do it on like a 500gb external HDD?
logicus

Activity: 57

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:11:48 PM

I flash my 2 x Gigabyte 7950 card from FX1 bios to f43 bios.
Temps are 10 degrees and 50W per card lower..
Bios undervolt core from 1.25v. to 1.150v.
Now i can mining 1200-1240kh/s (from 1100-1150) with same temperature.

cimpex

Activity: 588
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:30:55 PM

I flash my 2 x Gigabyte 7950 card from FX1 bios to f43 bios.
Temps are 10 degrees and 50W per card lower..
Bios undervolt core from 1.25v. to 1.150v.
Now i can mining 1200-1240kh/s (from 1100-1150) with same temperature.

do you have 2x6pin or 1x8pin+1x6pin pcie card? thanks!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         █████████████████████████▄   
       ███████                 ██████
     ██████                      ██████
    █████      ███████████▄        ████
   ████      █████████████▀         ████
  ████      █████            ██      ████
 █████     ████     ▄▄▄      ███     ████
 █████     ████   ███████   ████
 ████      ████   ███████   ████
 ████      ████   ██████    ████      ███
  ████     █████   ▀▀▀▀     ████     ████
   ████      █████████████▄         ████
    █████      ███████████▀        ████
     ██████                       ████
       ██████
         ██████████████████████▄
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
SKYFchain
█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Wepp

Activity: 48

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:16:05 PM

Regarding the MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT environment variable:

This setting is CASE SENSITIVE! I got stuck on this for a while. Go to your Environment Variables Settings panel:
Click the Start Button
In the search box type "var" without quotes.
Choose the "Edit the system environmental variables" option.
Click on [Environment Variables...]

Verify that MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT is present in ALL CAPS with a value of 100.

This will allow you to increase the thread-concurrency.

logicus

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:56:12 PM

I have 2x6pin cards.
This is post for Gigabyte WF3 7950  help me https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,2641.0.html
cimpex

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:08:26 PM

I have 2x6pin cards.
This is post for Gigabyte WF3 7950  help me https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,2641.0.html
nice! thats definitly working. I tought the new ones (1x8pin+1x6pin) are hardlocked.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ████      █████████████▄         ████
    █████      ███████████▀        ████
     ██████                       ████
       ██████
         ██████████████████████▄
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
SKYFchain
█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█
computerparts

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:04:33 PM

Code:

I heard of having to do the flash F43, doesn't that unlock the voltage ability or undervolt it? What exactly does it do. I will try this later, is there anyway to flash the Bios with that without having to put it on a USB thumb drive, anyway to do it on like a 500gb external HDD?

DO NOT attempt to flash if you're unfamiliar with the process. You can easily brick your card. The new revision Gigabyte cards are trash, absolute garbage, the voltage is set far too high. So you should either flash (again not recommended if you're new to the process) or you should send it back/sell it and get a different brand. That would be the easiest solution.
logicus

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:05:28 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2013, 04:58:25 AM by logicus

My was locked at 1.25v.
I flash from FX1 bios to f43 bios.
Now locked at 1.1v. Smiley
Cryptocables

Activity: 270
Merit: 220

CQ - I make High Voltage glowy things.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 09:54:39 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 11:12:36 PM by Cryptocables

You can use ATI Winflash. It's basically idiot proof - just make sure to backup the old BIOs incase anything happens. Additionally, the Gigabytes have 2 switches on the card to revert back if anything happens, worst case scenario. If you want a tutorial PM me I'll send you one or hit me up on #freenode Smiley

⚡ VOLTAGE GOAT ⚡
🐐 https://www.voltagegoat.com
🐐 http://www.twitter.com/VoltageGoat

High Voltage Crypto Illuminations. Neons, Nixies, Numitrons, ++ more Smiley
Official Launchpad of the Numitron Bitcoin Ticker Rocket
cimpex

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:09:43 PM

I heard of having to do the flash F43, doesn't that unlock the voltage ability or undervolt it? What exactly does it do.
F43 does not unlock, it just locks the load voltage to 1.09V instead of 1.25V.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄