Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 09:17:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when ETH is the #1 coin?  (Read 3504 times)
styca (OP)

Activity: 1078
Merit: 354

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 04:51:46 PM

Just to clarify again for those who thought I meant something else... I wasn't talking about ETH being more important than BTC, or more expensive per coin, or about the extent to which marketcap is an indicator of inherent worth.

I just meant will there be a media reaction when ETH becomes #1 in marketcap, and if so will this be good for crypto as a whole?
kriptotr

Activity: 249
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 08:24:45 PM

If we're talking about market capitalization of ethereum to pass bitcoin's market capitalization, this is totally possible, but don't forget that the increase in the total number of coins is bigger in ethereum.
Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 01:24:49 AM

ETH will overtake BTC. Surely this is now inevitable. The way it's going it could be a few days away. At the most a few months, and certainly by the end of the year.

Taking this as a given, what will happen to crypto in general? I expect a fair amount of mainstream articles mentioning how Bitcoin has been surpassed, and how if you'd spent $x on ETH at a certain point, you'd now have millions. I'd expect this in turn to lead to greater mainstream interest in crypto in general, and permanent price jumps across a range of coins.

I'd say ICOs would get more feverish too, but these are already pretty insane.
While I never had any doubts that ETH was not going to surpass bitcoin anytime soon it is incredible how fast things change in the world of cryptocurrencies, one month ago people actually thought that ETH had a chance to surpass bitcoin and now look at the difference in the market cap, it is huge and it is going to get even bigger, this show us that is OK to be optimistic but we must set limits to it or we may fool ourselves with our predictions.
shirazteam110

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 02:02:18 AM

Mark My word ETH will be Next King IF if if .... Bitcoin Split then for sure ETH will take over position of Bitcoin
No one ever knew when but i can say one thing this could be happened soon !!! Just Chilled  Grin
maxNIMFA

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 03:25:31 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2017, 03:42:43 AM by maxNIMFA

ETH isn't a coin but a technology. Look at Enterprise Ethereum Alliance. They're moving Ethereum forward, not specutalions.
Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 03:10:28 AM

Mark My word ETH will be Next King IF if if .... Bitcoin Split then for sure ETH will take over position of Bitcoin
No one ever knew when but i can say one thing this could be happened soon !!! Just Chilled  Grin
I disagree, if bitcoin split and supposing that made a lot of damage to the image of bitcoin and it never recovered, the next in line is not Ethereum, the next in line is Litecoin, which is basically bitcoin with segwit activated already so we will continue as usual except that the name of the coin most people support will change slightly, Ethereum is a good technology but it is not a currency.
CoinCollector006

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 04:39:07 AM

This post makes the supposition that Ethereum is preordained to dethrone BTC, which I believe is not necessarily the case for multiple reasons. Just like any other market, when one market participant gains too much market share or appreciates too much competition materializes out of woodwork and brings the profitability down as you would expect.  

1. There are several other cryptos that are targeting the crowdfunding markets including Waves (see https://wavesplatform.com) and  Ardor/Nxt (see https://www.ardorplatform.org) that are thought of highly by many crypto investors and have much lower market caps.  

2. Rootstock is coming which will give Bitcoin smart contract capability, please see http://www.rsk.co. This could put a dent in Ethereum's market share.

I have invested in ETH, and XCP, WAVES, ANS as potential competitors and am considering UBIQ as a new investment.

░▓██████████████░
    ░▒██            ▒██▒░         ▓█████▓                               ░█████▒               ███                   
█████▓░     ██████░   ▒▓████      ██░░░▓█▓                             ▒███▒▓███              ███                     
██        █▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒    ██     ▒█▓    ██                             ███   ▒██▒                                 
▓█      ░█▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓█░  █▓     ▓█▒   ▒█▓  ░████▓    █████   ░█████▓  ██▓    ██▓  ███████▓   ▓██   ▒█████▓   ███████▓
░█░    ░█▓▒▒░░░░░▒ ░▒██  ░█░     ██    ██░  ██  ▓█▒  ██░ ▒█▓  ▓█▓  ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███▒ ▓███  ███  ▒██▓ ▒██▒  ███▒ ▓███
 ██    ██▒░░░▒▒ ░░▒▒▓█▒  ██     ▒█▓    ██  ██   ▒█▒ ▓█░   █▓  ██   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███   ███
 ▒█░ ░▒█▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ░█▒     ▓█░   ▒█▓  ███████  ███████░ ░█▓   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
  ██ ░██▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒░░░█░ ██      ██    ██░ ▒█▓░▒░░  ░█▓░▒░░░  ▓█░  ▒█▒  ██▓    ██▓  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
   ██  █▓██▓▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓█▒ ██      ▒█▓   ░██  ██       ▓█░       ██   ██   ███   ▒██▒  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███  ░███
    ██    ▒▓███████▓  ██       ██▒  ▒██   ██  ░██  ▓█░  ██░ ░██  ▓█▓   ▓██▓▒▒███   ███  ░███  ███  ░██▓░▓██▒  ███  ░███
     ██░       ░    ░██        ██████▓    ▒█████   ░█████░  ▓█████▓     ▒█████▓    ███  ░███  ███   ▒█████▒   ███  ░███
      ▒██          ██▒                                      ██                                                   
        ▒██░     ▓██                                       ▒█▓                                                         
          ▓██░ ▓██░                                        ██░                                                         
            ▒██▓
Tor Integrated & Secured
styca (OP)

Activity: 1078
Merit: 354

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 05:34:23 AM

ETH will overtake BTC. Surely this is now inevitable. The way it's going it could be a few days away. At the most a few months, and certainly by the end of the year.

Taking this as a given, what will happen to crypto in general? I expect a fair amount of mainstream articles mentioning how Bitcoin has been surpassed, and how if you'd spent $x on ETH at a certain point, you'd now have millions. I'd expect this in turn to lead to greater mainstream interest in crypto in general, and permanent price jumps across a range of coins.

I'd say ICOs would get more feverish too, but these are already pretty insane.
While I never had any doubts that ETH was not going to surpass bitcoin anytime soon it is incredible how fast things change in the world of cryptocurrencies, one month ago people actually thought that ETH had a chance to surpass bitcoin and now look at the difference in the market cap, it is huge and it is going to get even bigger, this show us that is OK to be optimistic but we must set limits to it or we may fool ourselves with our predictions.

I still stand by the first part; I'm still convinced ETH will overtake bitcoin in marketcap. And I still think there's a reasonable chance it will happen by the end of the year. I was wrong to say 'certainly', though!
Once bitcoin calms down (and fingers crossed it's soon, Segwit support is still at 100% https://xbt.eu/ ) , and once any remaining 'sell the news' is over, I think we'll be back to another bull market for ETH. But yes, I got carried away with 'certainly by the end of the year'. How about 'possibly this year, probably (but not definitely) next year'?  Grin
chip1994

Activity: 868
Merit: 251

HEX: Longer pays better

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 06:01:24 AM

I disagree, if bitcoin split and supposing that made a lot of damage to the image of bitcoin and it never recovered, the next in line is not Ethereum, the next in line is Litecoin, which is basically bitcoin with segwit activated already so we will continue as usual except that the name of the coin most people support will change slightly, Ethereum is a good technology but it is not a currency.
Why next subjects is Litecoin? I know Litecoin is version 2.0 of Bitcoin and it just have mission PR, support or testing SegWit helps Bitcoin. Ethereum really best choice after Bitcoin SegWit2x and get some error

████████████████████
       ██████████████████████
      ████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████
    ████████████████████████████
   ████               ▀██████████
  ████  ██████████████  ██████████
████  ████████████████  ██████████▄
████  ██████████████████  █████████▀
██  ████████████████████  ███████
    ███          █████████  █████
   ███  ███████   ███████  █████