Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:26:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FREEWallet.org SCAM ( Don't use any of their iOS or Android APP)  (Read 23878 times)
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 12:21:41 AM

Found this on Reddit. No idea if this is the correct category but apparently FreeWallet.org is redirecting everyone's payments to their own personal wallet.

https://etherscan.io/address/0x11b85b4e2fadaebe04a251377aa35b9be3c785f0

So far $8 million stolen.

They also have a Bitcoin, Dash and Monero wallet. Their website seems to be professionally done so it seems many people are affected. If you use this wallet, immediately withdraw any funds.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 08:59:24 AM

Found this on Reddit. No idea if this is the correct category but apparently FreeWallet.org is redirecting everyone's payments to their own personal wallet.

They also have a Bitcoin, Dash and Monero wallet. Their website seems to be professionally done so it seems many people are affected. If you use this wallet, immediately withdraw any funds.

Damn. This is brutal, especially when the Ethereum price is skyrocketing. People must be so happy and over the top when they see in the coinmarketcap website that Ethereum is skyrocketing and glad that they bought some - only to be hammered when they see that their coins are gone due to them storing them on a service that seemed to be all legitimate and well in the first place.

Linking to the reddit thread you're referring to so that everyone else can have a better look into the situation: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/6gtrmd/freewalletorg_scam_millions_stolen/

Is there any proof that free wallet is affiliated with Changelly? If yes people should avoid using them too.

magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 09:58:26 AM

$8 million? That's no sum to joke about... That will buy the scammer some nice mansions with others money...

They have an ethereum wallet address, and as you said they have other altcoins as well. Is there any sort of stats on the coins which balances can be publicly inspected regarding how much coin have been stolen(I know that coins like XMR cannot be inspected)?

Honestly though, i don't get all the people using this wallet. Not trying to rub salt into the wounds, but when there are much more secure options such as downloading the actual ethereum wallet from the official site, or using myetherwallet which is a client side wallet generator, why would you entrust your coins to a third party?

And ps, i wouldn't be surprised if they claimed to be hacked at all.
rkp13

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 06:54:16 AM

This is great example how cryptocurrency is making scamming people and getting away without any legal consequences. Many many new peoples are getting scammed one way or other. ICOs are also great way for scammers to collect large sum. People are throwing money in ICOs madly.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2017, 06:57:39 AM

This is great example how cryptocurrency is making scamming people and getting away without any legal consequences. Many many new peoples are getting scammed one way or other. ICOs are also great way for scammers to collect large sum. People are throwing money in ICOs madly.
I can only say one thing: Caveat Emptor. You should be familiar with the saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted". I have absolutely no idea why anyone would use this ridiculously named wallet to begin with. Choosing a wallet is very simple. Need a desktop wallet? 1) Full wallet - Bitcoin Core. 2). SPV - Electrum. Need a mobile wallet? Mycelium.

In other words, people should blame themselves. Was this even open source at any point in time?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cafucafucafu

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 11:25:02 AM

If you don't own the private keys and make sure that the code has been audited and is open source, as well as doing your own research beforehand on the company that is producing it, whether any public figures are involved/or just an anonymous team, then you don't own any coins that are stored on the wallet. You won't trust anyone on this forum with $1k, why should you trust someone just made a site and a program, and nothing else with the same thing?

This said, nobody deserves to get scammed. So i wish all the best to these people who got scammed, and hopefully they have learned a lesson.

This isn't an ICO for starters. Crypto if used correctly can actually help mitigate scams(chargebacks, hacked CCs etc.) but yes, its irreversibility is something that scammers love.

Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 12:54:33 PM

Is everything back to normal now? I read the Reddit discussion and here are some of the rep responses:

With this technology all incoming transactions are received via addresses unique for each user. They are gathered in pool and then go either to payout aggregator or multi-signature cold storage.

Freewallet stores funds in a multi-signature cold storage with a bank level security grade. From time to time there are rebalancing procedures between different cold storages and hot wallets. There’s no need to worry, this is an ordinary planned procedure for cryptocurrency systems. All user assets are completely safe.

Ethereum blockchain was overloaded today with Bancor ICO transactions. A significant bunch of today's transactions are still being processed now; they will arrive soon. New Ethereum transactions are coming in and out normally.

Seems like a big misunderstanding.
ssnova

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 11:19:39 PM

Any updates on this? Anyone who used them?  I never signed up with them but they seemed to be one of the only XMR/Monero GUI wallets out there, but then I decided to do some research and came up with threads like these.
bitscheerful

Activity: 4

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 12:44:15 AM

i have had freewallet for a while now and i have recieved all my pay with no problems, the attempt to save us all alot of trouble and lost funds is very highly appreciated however i think you shoould maybe try it out first and make your own opinion on this one Smiley
Kilverline

Activity: 142
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 11:47:53 AM

I payout bcn in 3 days ago. And it is sending.... Fukkkk
itzhaunt

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 08:57:30 PM

I have used FreeWallet for a little while now. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I have deposited and withdrew a couple of times. Although I only use it for ltc. Maybe they store everything in a central wallet to prevent losses? Not sure, it just doesn't seem like they would steal from everyone as they appear to be professional.
Freewallet

Activity: 554
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2017, 04:08:32 PM

People love catchy headlines! $8 million stolen... oh wait, it was $7 million... oh wait, but from whom? If you read the original thread on Reddit, you'll see that there's not a single person who actually lost money with Freewallet! The reason our users got worried is because they checked their wallet balances on the blockchain explorer and found out the funds aren't there. However, the address displayed in the app is a so-called "hot wallet" used for receiving transactions. We consider keeping the funds there as well as storing private keys locally a risk because if the access to your device is compromised, it would give a hacker an opportunity to steal your assets.

That is why after our user receives a transaction, the funds are moved to the cold storage. Whenever he/she needs to make a transaction, the funds are transferred from the cold storage as well. Their actual balance is displayed in the app; what people see on a blockchain explorer is most likely an intermediary transfer of funds in/out of the cold storage (and our users aren't charged with any fees for such transactions). That's exactly what it was: rebalancing between different cold storages. Not piping their funds to an outside source.

Freewallet, The Mobile-First Cryptowallet Developer
Learn more about Freewallet and our apps: freewallet.org
Freewallet 24/7 assistance: https://bit.ly/2rgGdRw or reach out to us directly on Facebook or by PM.
DavidsCrypto

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 05:58:27 PM

If someone got scammed from FreeWallet actions in any way please don't be silent and send mail to davidscrypto@gmail.com,
we are organizing a very large group of people to fight them back and get our funds back and I promise you that we will succeed
monkeydominicorobin

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:10:29 PM

Of course they are redirecting. For instance their steem wallet how do you suppose they keep that. You need an account with steemit to have a wallet for steem. Just think. You can easily relate if you have an account with steemit or bitshares for that matter.

gnomas

Activity: 44

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 01:33:36 PM

I never used them, but Bitcoin gold website lists them as official wallet to get their coins after the fork. Doesn't look like a Scam for me.
catman99

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:56:07 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2017, 04:08:37 PM by catman99

I note these articles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freewallet
https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/freewallet/

If it's a scam, it's a REAL good one.

BTW some may note the team is in Estonia.  I confess to being ignorant and thinking Estonia was an eastern European country.  It isn't.  It's northern European.  They seem well ahead of the world in tech in a general sense in that they were the first nation in history to hold an election over the Internet.  I quote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia

'Estonia is a developed country with an advanced, high-income economy that as of 2011 is among the fastest growing in the EU.[19] Its Human Development Index ranks very highly,[7] and it performs favourably in measurements of economic freedom, civil liberties and press freedom (3rd in the world in 2012 and 2007).[20] The 2015 PISA test places Estonian high school students 3rd in the world, behind Singapore and Japan.[21] Citizens of Estonia are provided with universal health care,[22] free education[23] and the longest paid maternity leave in the OECD.[24] Since independence the country has rapidly developed its IT sector, becoming one of the world's most digitally advanced societies.[25] In 2005 Estonia became the first nation to hold elections over the Internet, and in 2014 the first nation to provide E-residency.'
DavidsCrypto

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 01:59:29 PM

They are not from Estonia, They are a gang from Saint Petersburg Russia.
"Alvin Hagg" is not the person behind this project...
Now tell me, if its a legit business, why the co founders are hiding behind fake identities??

https://www.facebook.com/whoisalvinhugg/
bitscheerful

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 10:59:04 AM

I never used them, but Bitcoin gold website lists them as official wallet to get their coins after the fork. Doesn't look like a Scam for me.
i also have no problem what so ever, somone got pissy pants with them made a pic with java script and posted it noe the whole world is all bad freewallet, judge on your own experience not some fake ass crap some hot-tempered person put out of anger, freewallet is all good
D2R2

Activity: 54
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:19:41 AM

thank you i downloaded this app 2 days ago . i will report in support
sabbir2world

Activity: 370
Merit: 101

Freedom is priceless

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:58:59 AM

$8 million.. wow! much amount. I would stay away from freeWallet.org. Thanks for your heads up.

R A D I X   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   The Decentralized Finance Protocol
█████████ GET TOKENS █████████    Facebook      Telegram      Twitter
The Radix DeFi Protocol is    SCALABLE SECURE COMMUNITY DRIVEN
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: