Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:55:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compiled Armory 0.96.0.2-testing for macOS refuses to launch  (Read 511 times)
pf (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 105

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 12:22:45 AM

I cloned the repo and checked out the tag:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory.git
cd BitcoinArmory
git checkout 0.96.0.2-testing

Then I followed the instructions at https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/osxbuild/OSX_build_notes.md exactly on a completely clean macOS 10.11 El Capitan virtual machine. I used Xcode 7.3.1 as recommended.

The resulting Armory.app refuses to launch.

Launching Armory directly gives me this error:

Code:
$ open /Applications/Armory.app
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810
for the file /Applications/Armory.app.

When trying to launching the actual binary in the .app bundle, I get this error:

Code:
$ /Applications/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Armory
/Applications/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file
'/Applications/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/py/usr/local/lib/armory/ArmoryQt.py':
[Errno 2] No such file or directory

How do I fix this?

How did you guys actually manage to build the latest Armory 0.96.0.2-testing for macOS?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 12:40:48 AM

Code:
git submodules init
git submodules update
make clean
make distclean
sh autogen.sh
./configure
make -j8

pf (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 10:00:18 AM

Code:
git submodules init
git submodules update
make clean
make distclean
sh autogen.sh
./configure
make -j8

The first two lines did the trick.

Code:
git submodule init
git submodule update

The other lines don't seem applicable, at least not on macOS.

Can you add the above two lines to the macOS build steps? By the way, I also needed brew install libpng. The build didn't work without that.

One problem I'd like to report: When quitting Armory.app, the ArmoryDB process does not quit immediately. It takes 2-3 minutes for it to quit, during which it takes up 100% CPU. If I try to open Armory.app again during this time, it refuses to launch giving me this error:

Code:
$ /Applications/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Armory
/Users/pf
(ERROR) ArmoryUtils.py:3744 - Unsupported language  specified. Defaulting to English (en)
(ERROR) ArmoryQt.py:5892 - Socket already in use.  Sent CLI args to existing proc.
(ERROR) ArmoryQt.py:5893 - Exiting...

Do you have plans to make ArmoryDB quit right away after Armory.app?
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 10:29:09 AM

This is an OSX specific bug, I'd have to look at it directly on that platform. Maybe you can try to narrow down the issue.

pf (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 11:35:03 AM

This is an OSX specific bug, I'd have to look at it directly on that platform. Maybe you can try to narrow down the issue.

I don't have enough knowledge to narrow down the issue (the issue of ArmoryDB not quitting right away). Maybe Roark can look into it?

BTW, one more question. I have these two files in my data folder:

Code:
armory_<redactedID>_encrypt.watchonly_backup.wallet
armory_<redactedID>_encrypt.watchonly.wallet

After running 0.96.0.2-testing, these two new files were created:

Code:
armory_<redactedID2>_wallet.lmdb
armory_<redactedID2>_wallet.lmdb-lock

What is the purpose of these files? Why do they have a new ID in the file name? I still see the old ID watch-only wallet in the Armory UI.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 11:49:39 AM

https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/changelog.txt#L17

pf (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 12:04:16 PM

I see, thank you. Is there any reason why the filename doesn't contain "watchonly" in it? Can I now safely delete the old wallet files from my online machine? (I'm still running an older Armory with the old wallet format on my offline machine.)
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 12:07:19 PM

Can I now safely delete the old wallet files from my online machine? (I'm still running an older Armory with the old wallet format on my offline machine.)

No you can't, these are still the main wallets. The new ones are only proxies for the new scripts types and SegWit. They are only WO so there's no point in characterizing them. You can delete the lmdb wallets all you want however, but they'll be recreated on each start if missing.

droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2017, 12:43:41 AM

Can you add the above two lines to the macOS build steps? By the way, I also needed brew install libpng. The build didn't work without that.

I'll add a note to the build instructions. That said, libpng shouldn't be necessary. The Armory script uses its own binary, as I recall. Something must've failed during the build process. (Then again, I wouldn't mind moving some of this over to brew. Will think about it.)

One problem I'd like to report: When quitting Armory.app, the ArmoryDB process does not quit immediately. It takes 2-3 minutes for it to quit, during which it takes up 100% CPU. If I try to open Armory.app again during this time, it refuses to launch giving me this error:

I had some issues myself for awhile. IIRC, goatpig & I determined that there was some sort of fcgi issue. I believe we meant to look into it again once 0.96 was ready. I haven't had any problems, and honestly, I've been dealing with some family issues, which has been eating up a lot of my time. I'll take another look as soon as I can, though. (Will be gone this weekend, so it may be a little while.)
pf (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 09:49:30 PM

I'll add a note to the build instructions. That said, libpng shouldn't be necessary. The Armory script uses its own binary, as I recall. Something must've failed during the build process. (Then again, I wouldn't mind moving some of this over to brew. Will think about it.)

I had some issues myself for awhile. IIRC, goatpig & I determined that there was some sort of fcgi issue. I believe we meant to look into it again once 0.96 was ready. I haven't had any problems, and honestly, I've been dealing with some family issues, which has been eating up a lot of my time. I'll take another look as soon as I can, though. (Will be gone this weekend, so it may be a little while.)
Hope all is well. Best of wishes for you and your family.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: