Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:15:50 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING: *Bitcoin-qt* will soon block tiny transactions. Not bitcoin.  (Read 1694 times)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:41:33 AM

The network protocol has not changed, you can always send someone whatever transaction you want, but it's up to miners if they want to include the transaction in a block. Miners running 0.8.2 can use command line options to change their dust limit.
bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:43:04 AM

The network protocol has not changed, you can always send someone whatever transaction you want, but it's up to miners if they want to include the transaction in a block. Miners running 0.8.2 can use command line options to change their dust limit.

Um that's a change.. if the miners wont do it then nothing will happen.  There is no way around it... this will change bitcoin forever and not in a good way.
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:44:00 AM

Don't spread misinformation.

You have to connect directly to miners to get those transactions in a block because 0.8.2 nodes will not relay transactions with dust outputs at all.

Essentially speaking the network protocol has been changed.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:45:56 AM

Don't spread misinformation.

You have to connect directly to miners to get those transactions in a block because 0.8.2 nodes will not relay transactions with dust outputs at all.

Network protocol is not bitcoin-qt/bitcoind.

Not every node will run 0.8.2.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:46:54 AM

And.... round and round we go again.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
btcminer

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:50:53 AM

Um that's a change.. if the miners wont do it then nothing will happen.  There is no way around it... this will change bitcoin forever and not in a good way.

One version update != forever.

He can easily revert this as:
1. Bitcoin's value changes.
2. Someone writes a better solution to the DDoS problem.
3. Other reasons.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8441

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 03:52:14 AM

Thats absolutely untrue, and I'm irritated at you for promoting it. People in this thread we saying that miners couldn't have different policies and that we were stuck with this value in the futurebecause the protocol changed. People like me came in and said— no, it's not a protocol change, it's a configurable setting— and here you are saying it's a protocol change again.  It's not— not in the language we normally use to discuss Bitcoin. Miners are free to change settings here, policy is free to change in the future.

It's mining and relay node _policy_, not a protocol rule.   Please don't confuse matters by using vague language when you can instead describe exactly what it does.  This works exactly the same as the other "standard transaction" rules— zero value outputs, multisig with a dozen keys, outputs less than <0.01 without a fee (initially of 0.01 later reduced to 0.0005, and to be reduced to 0.0001 in 0.8.2), etc.  Transactions 'breaking' the IsStandard rule do get mined.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:54:51 AM

I think most of the criticism would disappear if the patch would be held off until there was a GUI for "choose your relay / mining policy".
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:57:49 AM

I think this is a good step. The 7gig blockchain file is getting too large.

Bad news for satoshidice. People shouldn't be playing that idiot tax anyways. Bitcoin lottery is much better odds anyways, like http://www.satoshisploder.com .

-.-

It's not really bad news for S.DICE, they just gotta increase their lose notification by 430 satoshis.
bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:10:23 AM

I think this is a good step. The 7gig blockchain file is getting too large.

Bad news for satoshidice. People shouldn't be playing that idiot tax anyways. Bitcoin lottery is much better odds anyways, like http://www.satoshisploder.com .

-.-

It's not really bad news for S.DICE, they just gotta increase their lose notification by 430 satoshis.

lol s.dice helps build interest in bitcoin. s.dice and s.dice users are punished for doing so. Oh, the irony it burns.
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:19:54 AM

Thats absolutely untrue, and I'm irritated at you for promoting it. People in this thread we saying that miners couldn't have different policies and that we were stuck with this value in the futurebecause the protocol changed. People like me came in and said— no, it's not a protocol change, it's a configurable setting— and here you are saying it's a protocol change again.  It's not— not in the language we normally use to discuss Bitcoin. Miners are free to change settings here, policy is free to change in the future.

It's mining and relay node _policy_, not a protocol rule.   Please don't confuse matters by using vague language when you can instead describe exactly what it does.  This works exactly the same as the other "standard transaction" rules— zero value outputs, multisig with a dozen keys, outputs less than <0.01 without a fee (initially of 0.01 later reduced to 0.0005, and to be reduced to 0.0001 in 0.8.2), etc.  Transactions 'breaking' the IsStandard rule do get mined.

Consider the user experience if a pure miner change is implemented:

You send a transaction. It reliably gets to the 10% of miners still implementing the rules you depend on, and it takes quite awhile to get mined. Annoying, but your transaction gets mined, and the person you sent it too sees it immediately.

On the other hand, with a relay-related rule, unless there happens to be a path from you to that miner of relay nodes willing to relay your transaction, absolutely nothing happens and you are left scratching your head wondering why.

Like it or not, changing relay rules is a much bigger change than chaning block inclusion rules, and it's much more effective at blocking transactions until a high number of nodes change their settings.

Sorry, but calling it a "network protocol rule" sounds pretty accurate to me. It's not a blockchain rule, it's not a block inclusion rule, it's something that decides if a transaction can propagate on the P2P network.

Having read jdillon's stuff, I'm pretty sympathetic to the idea that we should be accurate in what this is, blocking. Yeah, it leads to massive forum threads, but again, I agree with him that the fact we're seeing that just shows how little people understand where Bitcoin is going.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: