Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:49:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which will be the dominating scalable coin? (NEM vs. IOTA vs. Radix vs. EOS...)  (Read 13590 times)
xenon01 (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:01:50 AM

An important aspect for a cryptocurrency to be become big is scalability.
Ethereum recently pumped due to Bitcoins lack of scalability, but the bancor ICO showed that Ethereum also scales poorly.

So the next big thing will probably be a currency that scales well. But which one will be the leading one?

NEM (with catapult), IOTA, Radix and EOS probably will be able to handle thousands of transactions per second.
In my opinion this is worth nothing if there is no pruning to remove old data. However, it is difficult to find information about which of these coins are able to efficiently prune old data.

So an important question this thread could answer is which of them actually scale well enough for mass adoption (by for instance having efficient pruning).

Furthermore, all these coins have different capabilities. EOS is a full Ethereum competitor, NEM can run simple smart contracts and Radix has several applications running on top of it (I did not get into it). Not sure about IOTA. Which of them has in your opinion the best capabilities and how important will this be to become the dominating currency (in market cap)?

... and of course there is still bitcoin. Do you think the lightning network will solve bitcoins scalability problem?
I see the problem that the technology is complicated (you need to keep a payment channel open all the time) might be too late (we need a solution now and not in a year) and in the end all lightning transactions must still be settled on the blockchain which still requires huge blocks for mass adoption. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sevvero

Activity: 350
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:14:08 AM

Absolutely all of them have scaling issues, don't they?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:22:12 AM

My bet is on Monero because of the adaptive blocksize and permanent minimum 0.6 XMR block reward per block or tail emission. I am talking here about a crypto currency whose primary purpose is to be used as money, as opposed to a platform for smart contracts such as Ethereum. Nothing wrong with the latter it is just a different application of blockchain technology.  

I do not believe that technology such as the Lightning Network will solve Bitcoin's scaling problems because the Lightning Network requires the underlying chain to scale. Such technologies may in the future end up being deployed on top on the Monero blockchain. The Bitcoin network cannot scale primarily because fees are supposed to eventually replace the block reward as the way to provide an incentive to miners to secure the POW. This means they cannot be also used to regulate an adaptive blocksize as is the case in Monero. The best way to understand this is that in Monero, as a result of the adaptive blocksize, the total amount of fees per block is proportional to the block reward. So if the block reward were to fall to zero so would the fees. This by the way is also the reason why proposals such as the Bitcoin Unlimited will eventually lead to an insecure Bitcoin as the block reward falls to zero over time.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
AmarO

Activity: 84
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 01:11:24 AM

Please don't put EOS in the same conversation as Radix/IOTA. End of the day Radix will be King imo.
overnightmillionaire

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2017, 01:26:27 AM

Please don't put EOS in the same conversation as Radix/IOTA. End of the day Radix will be King imo.

Whats radix?

benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2017, 01:37:39 AM

An important aspect for a cryptocurrency to be become big is scalability.
Ethereum recently pumped due to Bitcoins lack of scalability, but the bancor ICO showed that Ethereum also scales poorly.

So the next big thing will probably be a currency that scales well. But which one will be the leading one?

NEM (with catapult), IOTA, Radix and EOS probably will be able to handle thousands of transactions per second.
In my opinion this is worth nothing if there is no pruning to remove old data. However, it is difficult to find information about which of these coins are able to efficiently prune old data.

So an important question this thread could answer is which of them actually scale well enough for mass adoption (by for instance having efficient pruning).

Furthermore, all these coins have different capabilities. EOS is a full Ethereum competitor, NEM can run simple smart contracts and Radix has several applications running on top of it (I did not get into it). Not sure about IOTA. Which of them has in your opinion the best capabilities and how important will this be to become the dominating currency (in market cap)?

... and of course there is still bitcoin. Do you think the lightning network will solve bitcoins scalability problem?
I see the problem that the technology is complicated (you need to keep a payment channel open all the time) might be too late (we need a solution now and not in a year) and in the end all lightning transactions must still be settled on the blockchain which still requires huge blocks for mass adoption.  

never heard of these things before, but to answer your question is none. because none of these is put to the real test yet, or have the real capacity the other two have and both prove to be failed
all going to brag about their project all they want but when it come to real world it would failed just like etherium.

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
bamboylee

Activity: 1148
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 01:51:41 AM

Everything is good in theory until tested by reality. And none of the solutions of these coins are put in the hard test yet. What matters is when the coin is put to the test, how fast will the devs refine their solutions  to become the perfect scaling solution.
xenon01 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 02:18:39 AM

Everything is good in theory until tested by reality. And none of the solutions of these coins are put in the hard test yet. What matters is when the coin is put to the test, how fast will the devs refine their solutions  to become the perfect scaling solution.

I agree. But which of them has the best technology, at least in theory?
The scaling issues of Bitcoin and Ethereum were already known years ago, but no one cared about that back then.
So the hard test just proved what was already known in theory.

Theory is not perfect but it is the best tool we have right now to predict the future success of these coins.
I am still hoping there is someone here who can tell the benefits and drawbacks of the scaling solutions of the mentioned coins.

btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 03:19:07 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2017, 03:45:10 AM by btbrae

Ethereum choked real bad the other day. For a 3 year mature currency that was poor.

I will probably go with BTC/LTC + LN and IOTA for the scaling debate.

Radix was eMunie. If I remember correctly it was only 1 guy called Dan and he was weird and paranoid wouldn't let anybody else work on development, which is just the antithesis of community and the project pretty much died. There's lots of information on eMunie here.
Fatoshi

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 04:29:11 AM

XtraBytes is also infinitely scalable.
Peachy

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2017, 06:39:11 AM

Radix was eMunie. If I remember correctly it was only 1 guy called Dan and he was weird and paranoid wouldn't let anybody else work on development, which is just the antithesis of community and the project pretty much died. There's lots of information on eMunie here.

That is HARDLY the reason why he primarily self-funded the development for the past 4 years on his own.

Have you ever heard of the Mythical Man Month? 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
TL/DR: Too many cooks spoil the meal

Basically, we are now at that point where Dan IS hiring additional devs now that the "core" code is completed and tested (we're only waiting on the patent completion).

Stay tuned for some exciting news on the token sale very soon. 

You'll truly be blown away by the whitepaper as it truly defines the next-next-generation of how crypto should be done.

RADiX (formerly eMunie): The future of money
22justin

Activity: 307
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2017, 11:11:41 AM

XtraBytes is also infinitely scalable.

they need to get on bittrex

Looking for the next 10x Small Cap for Q2 2018? $XBY (dApp Platform, New PoSign Algorithm), $SHIFT (dPoS Decentralized Web 3.0 on IFPS) & $BLOCK (Blockchain Agnostic DeX, atomic swaps)
Twitter: @Vancitycrypto
dissident

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 05:24:05 PM

Explain how xtrabytes is infinitely scalable. I'm interested. Pascalcoin is the one with the blockchain pruning tech.   I have both of these. Xtrabytes is a great name.

PascalCoin V2 will be released next week along with a revised white-paper. The absolute latest release time will be Jun 23 Friday, but could be anytime from Tuesday the 20th. Features now include:
- In-protocol account exchange: allows users to buy/sell accounts directly from the wallet
- Account Names & Types: accounts can now register unique names much like domain-name system
- Infinite-scaling upgrade: allows true deletable blockchain without impacting new nodes
- Checkpointing: nodes only need to keep 100 latest blocks
- Improved difficulty adjustment algorithm: provides more stable block times
- Many bug-fixes and enhancements: Linux memory-leak, orphaned transaction fix, and much more.

Hard-Fork activation block number will be announced on release, and be around 14 days to allow infrastructure providers time to upgrade.

White paper:  https://github.com/PascalCoin/PascalCoin/blob/master/PascalCoinWhitePaperV2.pdf

These two coins have the best two tech of any of the low market cap coins I own.
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2017, 09:06:34 PM

Pruning != Scalability

Sure, you can chop a hole in the bottom of the bucket to dump some water, but it can still only fill up as fast as your tap.

Pruning allows you to manage the size of the block chain over time, not how many transactions it can process per second.

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
brekyrself

Activity: 547
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 10:29:35 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2017, 12:28:45 AM by brekyrself

Can anyone post any actual data for each chain or just their opinion?

If Dan & team can improve upon BitShares & Steem, based on Graphene, EOS will be a monster.  Proven here:

http://docs.bitshares.eu/_downloads/bitshares-stresstest.pdf
and
http://cryptofresh.com/charts  (this page takes forever to load, but shows real statistics.  IE transactions/day, transfers, etc...)
brekyrself

Activity: 547
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 12:50:46 AM

The update we have been waiting for, very very prelim numbers on EOS: https://steemit.com/eos/@dantheman/web-assembly-on-eos-50-000-transfers-per-second
xenon01 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 01:14:19 AM

Pruning != Scalability

Sure, you can chop a hole in the bottom of the bucket to dump some water, but it can still only fill up as fast as your tap.

Pruning allows you to manage the size of the block chain over time, not how many transactions it can process per second.

Although this is correct I still think that a scalable coin should also have pruning.

If the blockchain gets to large more and more nodes cannot afford anymore to save the whole blockchain.
This not only leads to centralization but the network would finally also get very slow or even crash as millions of clients cold try to request or send data to very few remaining full nodes at the same time that cannot handle that load anymore.

deadsilent

Activity: 1148
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 01:39:28 AM

Iota i think. Its hasn't hit an exchange but the price is moving. Just wait until next year because IOTA will hit an exchange. It will be a hit. It's good to hold because the devs are active and responsive. I bought some of it when the price was 50 sats. Just watch their slack channel.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 02:46:16 AM

Pruning != Scalability

Although this is correct I still think that a scalable coin should also have pruning.

If the blockchain gets to large more and more nodes cannot afford anymore to save the whole blockchain.
This not only leads to centralization but the network would finally also get very slow or even crash as millions of clients cold try to request or send data to very few remaining full nodes at the same time that cannot handle that load anymore.

Good point that although pruning is not all that needs to be considered when scaling a cryptocurrency, it is still a good feature to have as far as optimum scalability goes. Smiley
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 09:43:39 AM

PascalCoin V2 will be released next week along with a revised white-paper.

After PascalCoin main dev posted on IOTA slack that he doesn't believe in Quantum Theory he should ask for several peer reviews of his whitepaper before releasing. Without that everyone will question validity of his claims if any are made in the whitepaper.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: