Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:22:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It's been a strange day today, and thought I'd share it.  (Read 413 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 05:27:42 AM

Started the day while waiting for the coffee to brew glaring out the kitchen window watching the birds and squirrels eat the bread I just tossed out for them.

A squirrel and rabbit, not yet discovering the treats, were playing with each other. The squirrel first went after the rabbit, but the rabbit jumped straight up in the air to miss contact. Then the rabbit chanced the squirrel up a tree. Less than a minute late, the squirrel came down the tree on the opposite side, tagging the rabbit that was waiting at the base of tree. Soon, they were out of my view.

Next, I witnessed a woodpecker eating some bread. I've never seen that before. Then a sparrow came from its nest inside one of those obsolete steel clothesline post thingies, landing near the woodpecker. After a few bites, the sparrow walked/hopped (whatever you call such action) over to the woodpecker with a piece of bread in its beak and offered it to the woodpecker of which it took it from the sparrow. About a month ago I witnessed the same thing between a starling and a robin, and once before between a starling and a sparrow. (I relayed the story before, but think I referred to the starling as barn swallow)

Next, a friend of mine stopped over and dropped off a CD of a friend of ours that passed fours ago to the day. I've never viewed the CD, but was aware that it existed. I've yet to view it as it sets here in front of me.

I had to leave and travel 150 miles to pick up a load of wood, stopping at a gas station in the first town west of Sandwich, IL. In the parking lot was Les' old 1960's hurst, still used every Halloween at his Widow's home, for she was born on Halloween and goes all out with the yard decorations. Last year, she had an effigy of my dad in the tree, since he too was a dear friend of Les.

On the road on Interstate 39, stopping at a truckstop at the HWY 72 exit. Parked, and walked to the shop. As I approached, I saw an animal on a motorcycle resembling a dog. As I neared, I then thought it to be a rabbit due to its ears. It was neither. I'm now happy to report that for the first time in my life I petted a kangaroo on a motorcycle.

Back on the road, I saw a woman on my left side fishing in a pond and the directly across the road three children with a man entertaining a field of goats of different colors. This event is rather mundane, but interesting nonetheless.

At the wood pile, I begun to load the truck. A chipmunk hopped onto the pile, coming toward me, then stopped. I went to the truck and grabbed a few chips--hoping. With a chip in hand, the chipmunk approached me unafraid and took the chip from my hand and scurried away. (It was during the penning of this paragraph that I realized I fed a chip to a chipmunk. This was not contrived.)

About halfway through with loading the truck, a doe (deer) wandered by about 50 yards away, paying me little mind.

On the way home, only a couple miles into the drive, I saw a gang of black turkeys, mostly males with beautiful plumage. The smaller hens didn't look that bad either.

Nothing else much happened on the way home for it was already getting dark, but I was surprised to see about a half dozen chickenhawks(?) roosting in trees scouting out their next meal.

One more thing I just remembered, and it goes into the same timeline as seeing Les' hurst at Casey's.

I got in line to pay for the gas, coffee, chips, junk food, etc., behind this guy. The line moved but he stood still, then apologized to me for not acting quickly. It honestly didn't faze me, but his demeanor suggested that this guy wasn't operating on full thrusters. I opted to strike up a conversation with him nonetheless.

Me: Nice day today.
Him: Better than yesterday, though it was warmer. 72 degrees but windy. Today there's no wind. <looking outside, I saw the flags moving due to the nice breeze> It felt cold yesterday.
Me: <don't know what got into me, but...> Yep! Windchill. <surely, he wouldn't take the bait>
Him: <I was wrong, for he pulled out his Android> Let me check. <and with the speed of a master Android user, he had some weather app a running> Right now it's 70 degrees, X humidity, Y dewpoint and the windchill is...is...there it is--46 degrees (all temps in fahrenheit) <he shows me the Droid>
Me: Wow!
Him: And that's not bad compared to yesterday.
Me: Yep! <the 46 degrees he shown me was for tonight's low, clearly stating such>
Him: <at the checkout counter> How much is this Gatorade?
Cashier: They are on sale. Three for $3 or $1 each.
Him: That's a good price. I'm going to get 2 more and save some money. <left to get the other two, returning quickly> <Upon given him his total owed, he pulled from his pocket this massive wad of...wait for it...one dollar bills. Seriously, they were all singles.>
Me: <I had to ask!> Why do you have so many singles?
Him: <he smiles> Because I like money. I pretend I have more than I really do.
<I almost took out my wad of much larger denomination bills, but thought wiser of it, but it sure was tempting to do such, accompanied with some snide remark.>
Me: Are you on the internet?
Him: Yes. <I realized it was a stupid question since he proved how apt he was with the Droid>
Me: Google Bitcoin when you get home.
Him: I can do it down. <again, forgetting he had a Droid> <he goes outside>
<less than a minute later I was out the door and saw him reading what I safely assume was something Bitcoin related, so don't blame me--okay, blame me--if a new Atlas emerges onto the scene here at BT>

And that was my day.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 06:03:54 AM

And that was my day.

Kangaroo on a motorcycle, huh?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 07:24:49 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 07:39:03 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

And that was my day.

Kangaroo on a motorcycle, huh?

Did I say Kangaroo? I meant wallaby, for I believe that's what the woman told me, but it looked more like a wallaroo, about the size of a fox terrier.

I also just double checked to see what a chipmunk looks like, making sure I described the right creature, which I did.

I referred to the turkeys as black turkeys because of the color of their plumage. This is exactly what they looked like. I did snapped pics of the turkeys, but have not downloaded them off the camera yet. I wish I took pics of the wallaby/wallaroo, but I really stopped at the truckstop to shit out some junk food, hence in a hurry, stopping only long enough to pet the roo.

While on the road, I heard a great segment on NPR I need to revisit--RadioLabs(?). Something to do with stopping light in it tracks, able to release it later back to its normal speed. Awesome segment!

EDIT: RadioLab (no s): http://www.radiolab.org/2013/feb/05/master-universe/ Prepare to be amazed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: