Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:28:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange tech - which databases do they use and how do they manage wallets?  (Read 177 times)
chalsengi (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 02:05:23 AM

Hi,

I'm curious about the technology behind exchanges.

Does anyone know which type of database they use for user info and balances? What do you personally think would be the best type of database to use?

How would they integrate the various crypto currency wallets into the database?

How do they instantly generate/allocate new receiving addresses?

As far as I know, in a nutshell, they have the regular user accounts database, but they must also have a database that keeps track of balances. Users don't have an actual wallet (they don't run another wallet management program instance for each user), but they are allocated a balance from the exchange's 'global' wallet(s). That is about the extent of my understanding currently (which may or may not be accurate), so I'm hoping someone here can give much more detail. Thanks!
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 09:30:55 AM

I'm curious about the technology behind exchanges.
How do they instantly generate/allocate new receiving addresses?

There is nothing special about it, its similiar database like everywhere else (banks, gambling sites etc).
Handling bitcoin addresses, here is more to say, every exchange or bitcoin related website need to address this issue by itself.
Most use cold wallet address to amass client funds and hot wallet for current operations. All clients funds going to hot wallet up to certain point for example 500 BTC then rest is located in more secure cold wallet address.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: