Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:48:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this scam?  (Read 629 times)
patrickgt3 (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 11:34:52 AM

I just received an email with the following content:

At 16:39 on 13.06.2017, the Tokyo District Court granted the order for the commencement of the bankruptcy proceedings vis-à-vis MtGox Co., Ltd. (“MtGox”).
For the purpose of providing information to the related parties, we hereby inform you of the basic matters regarding the bankruptcy proceedings as attached.
You are entitled to compensation in the amount of 5.8295 BTC. Detailed information is available in the document on the official site.

Detailed payment information (<-Link here)

Bankrupt MtGox Co., Ltd. Bankruptcy trustee Attorney-at-law Nobuaki Kobayashi

The Mail address of the sender is merostome@abusebitcoin.com

I havent clicked the link because I think it could be a scam/virus.
Siren

Activity: 826
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 11:41:58 AM

Sounds like its phishing. If I were you I wouldn't click that link. I don't think the email is legit so its better to be safe that sorry dude. And LOL, the email doesn't looks professional at all. And thanks for sharing it to our community, so that others are warned as well.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 8263

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 11:55:01 AM

There's a discussion here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgoxinsolvency/comments/6h2jlu/warning_scam_email_mtgox_claim/
Sounds like a scam.
ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 11:56:01 AM

At 16:39 on 13.06.2017, the Tokyo District Court granted the order for the commencement of the bankruptcy proceedings vis-à-vis MtGox Co., Ltd. (“MtGox”).
For the purpose of providing information to the related parties, we hereby inform you of the basic matters regarding the bankruptcy proceedings as attached.
You are entitled to compensation in the amount of 5.8295 BTC. Detailed information is available in the document on the official site.

Did they ask for a small amount to be sent to them first in order to send you the 5.8295? if not then you could open the link using various methods such as sandboxing, opening it through VPS, or an online VPS which also runs in your browser, you could run the link through virustotal to check for the safety. if at the end you find my methods useful don't forget to tip me, since I'm greedy and a beggar in general Cheesy
ktabb

Activity: 266
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2017, 12:03:59 PM

I wouldn't click the link, it is likely malicious. I think they would reach out to you by physical mail if you were actually being compensated for mt gox losses.

pacifista

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:04:13 PM

Do not believe in any email that you are recieving these days,they are generated and send to different people emails to the steal the information once they click the link. Think before you click.
Omegasun

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:04:54 PM

Totally scam, Don't expect that it is a legit unless you know that you participate or being involved on that matter.

Tagz
█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█
patrickgt3 (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:07:26 PM

Thanks for the asnwers. I did not click. So i am fine.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 8263

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:11:30 PM

Thanks for the asnwers. I did not click. So i am fine.

why don't you munge the link so it's not clickable and post it so we can make a real assessment?
Put a space between each character or change the "." to (dot) ie  w w w . m t g o x . c n
or www(dot)mtgox(dot)cn

crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:13:53 PM

If it was an email better to ignore them many scammers out there are doing email marketing than making spam of their scam website..
MT.gox is an old trading site that was down past few years ago.. its a big scam before..  
So that email that you receive is one of their new trick to scam someone.
BaumT

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:16:42 PM

Surely it's a scam, be safe
mostkey

Activity: 742
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 12:26:31 PM

Late this weekend many kinds of these scams that this, therefore I advise to be careful in connecting posts like this, so many people get stuck, do not try to click on suspicious links,
irwanjabryg

Activity: 980
Merit: 512

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 03:48:17 AM

Very disappointing this scam, be careful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: