Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 06:17:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Alt Club  (Read 13872 times)
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 03:18:22 AM

I guess it's no use talking about right and wrong with greedy people.

Morality is never irrelevant.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
Vycid

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:24:40 AM

If this is serious, this is pretty disgusting.

An organised pump and dump gang will really harm the image of alt coins. It's taking advantage of people who think that a coin is really increasing in value. The money the gang makes when they sell all their coin at the peak of the spike in value comes from the people who are to late in the selling.

It's a scam. People who do this, in my book, are on the same level as people who pretend to send coins in a transaction and don't.

This thread should be locked and the OP labled a scammer.

Aww. Is someone butthurt because he bought right before a dump?

I'm not butthurt, i have a moral compass. Is it cute to think stealing is wrong ?

Buying coin right before they drop in value is painful, but hey, it happens. It's a risk you should be willing to take if you trade in altcoins.

But if a group of scammers coordinates to rape a coin, that's a whole different story.

Moral compass? Lol. Finance is not for you.

But if you choose to stay anyway, welcome to the world of trading!  Cheesy

You two seem very immature and trolling, but I'll reply annyway.

You can be into finance, trading and crypto and still try to do the right thing. Just because there are people who don't care about the losses of others doesn't mean you shouldn't care either. What goes around comes around.

Just because it's possible and easy to do, and you don't see the faces of the people you hurt, doesn't make it right.

I have the skill and knowledge to buy stolen creditcard numbers and info, go on TOR and buy shitloads of cryptocurrency with those stolen funds. But I don't. I like to sleep well at night knowing that I'm contributing to this world instead of merely TAKING.

Wow look at me rant. I guess you start to look at right and wrong a little bit closer when you're about to have a kid and are thining about how to raise them.

In case you haven't realized yet, this is a zero sum game. Anything you make, someone else loses. No matter if I'm part of a group that's pumping and dumping, or just a lucky loner, anything I gain is a loss for others. Morality is irrelevant.

What? In the real world we call stuff like this "insider trading" and people get sent to jail over it.

The laws don't apply here, but the principles do.

First, you just said it, the laws don't apply here. Second, it's only insider trading if you are a part of a company behind a stock. Since no one owns cryptocurrencies, and they don't generate revenue, insider trading is impossible.

It's not strictly accurate to say that it's a zero-sum game. If everyone agrees cryptocurrencies are worth something, then value has actually been created. It's the day-to-day fluctuations that are the zero-sum game.

As for the laws: no, cryptocoins aren't stocks - the laws don't apply. But they trade like securities, and the moral basis for the insider trading laws is to prohibit unfair trading based on information asymmetry - exactly what is happening here.

Joerii
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 03:31:41 AM

<snip>
 But they trade like securities, and the moral basis for the insider trading laws is to prohibit unfair trading based on information asymmetry - exactly what is happening here.

Yep, it's simply not fair because the "altcoin club" gang knows something the rest doesn't. They KNOW it's going to drop, they are not taking a risk. Ofcourse a good number of the gangs members are going to get screwed too.

ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 03:32:44 AM

There's always a risk with trading. Everyone who trades accepts that risk. In the end, everyone can win and lose as well, and most people do win some and lose some. So who even cares? This just encourages more people to trade, getting more people enthused in cryptocurrency, and, if anything, raising awareness of cryptocurrency. Which can be considered a good thing. IMO.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
willhash4food

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:40:43 AM

<snip>
 But they trade like securities, and the moral basis for the insider trading laws is to prohibit unfair trading based on information asymmetry - exactly what is happening here.

Yep, it's simply not fair because the "altcoin club" gang knows something the rest doesn't. They KNOW it's going to drop, they are not taking a risk. Ofcourse a good number of the gangs members are going to get screwed too.

Not fair?

You're going to have a hard time in the market if you don't collect as much info as you can and do the math. The market doesn't care about being fair. The market doesn't care about you. And if you choose to care about it, you wont be doing the hammer dance for long, my friend.

They see me minin'... they hatin'...
Joerii
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 03:45:31 AM

This isn't a private thing. Are you suggesting that because I, say, read Fontas' Twitter and someone else didn't, that I am guilty of insider trading?

I agree the line gets blurry when the "insiders" are communicating in the trollbox or on twitter, but whenever there's a group of people with enough buying power to influence price, and they have they don't share with 100% of the people who are trading what they're doing, it's unfair.

And to the other poster : "  Everyone's doing it so I'm doing it too !" Is not a valid argument. "They deserve it because it because there is no law against it" is also not a valid argument.

Joerii
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 03:46:41 AM

<snip>

Not fair?

You're going to have a hard time in the market if you don't collect as much info as you can and do the math. The market doesn't care about being fair. The market doesn't care about you. And if you choose to care about it, you wont be doing the hammer dance for long, my friend.

I'm not you friend, pall.

A knife also doesn't care about being fair, yet stabbing someone with it isn't very nice, now is it Smiley

EDIT : I never said the market should be fair. I'm saying traders should be fair.

Joerii
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 03:55:54 AM

This isn't a private thing. Are you suggesting that because I, say, read Fontas' Twitter and someone else didn't, that I am guilty of insider trading?

I agree the line gets blurry when the "insiders" are communicating in the trollbox or on twitter, but whenever there's a group of people with enough buying power to influence price, and they have they don't share with 100% of the people who are trading what they're doing, it's unfair.

And to the other poster : "  Everyone's doing it so I'm doing it too !" Is not a valid argument. "They deserve it because it because there is no law against it" is also not a valid argument.

Except they do share it publicly. Some people miss it, others ignore it, and they lose money.

No they don't share, they form a "club" that you have to sign up for, pay money to sign up for even. Did you even click the link in the OP ?

Trading alt coins is not just about joining a pump and then getting out before the dump. But I have the feeling I'm talking to people who just learned the whole concept of trading securities last week so maybe I should just leave you guys alone and alow you to get burned. Thats how you learn lessons anyway : the hard way.

willhash4food

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:17:17 AM

And to the other poster : "  Everyone's doing it so I'm doing it too !" Is not a valid argument. "They deserve it because it because there is no law against it" is also not a valid argument.

Except they do share it publicly. Some people miss it, others ignore it, and they lose money.

No they don't share, they form a "club" that you have to sign up for, pay money to sign up for even. Did you even click the link in the OP ?

Trading alt coins is not just about joining a pump and then getting out before the dump. But I have the feeling I'm talking to people who just learned the whole concept of trading securities last week so maybe I should just leave you guys alone and alow you to get burned. Thats how you learn lessons anyway : the hard way.

What do you think the market is made of? Hint: traders

If you think pump & dump doesn't exist on the NYSE or Nasdaq, maybe you don't understand how the market works. The big boy market IS ALL PUMP AND DUMP.

Besides, joining such an "alt club" will only result in pawns moving money for the person running the club. And if his plan works, well, then he's a genius for implementing it first.

Joerii
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 04:25:29 AM

I think it is you who learned of trading last week. I think I see the disconnect here. You are telling us what traders should do, what they would do in a world governed by morality. We are telling you what traders will do, in this world, that is governed by profit. If any good trader can get a step up above the competition, they will do it. If you won't, then you will lose. That's just how it works.

I'm gonna let you have the last word here cause I need sleep Smiley Have fun inside trading while you can get away with it.

willhash4food

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:33:44 AM

And to the other poster : "  Everyone's doing it so I'm doing it too !" Is not a valid argument. "They deserve it because it because there is no law against it" is also not a valid argument.

I think it is you who learned of trading last week. I think I see the disconnect here. You are telling us what traders should do, what they would do in a world governed by morality. We are telling you what traders will do, in this world, that is governed by profit. If any good trader can get a step up above the competition, they will do it. If you won't, then you will lose. That's just how it works.

EDIT: Willhash4food, I like your avatar, it's cute.  Cheesy

Ha. Well put on both accounts. "Should" only ends up in frustration. Someone who speaks in moralities like 'get away with it' 'right and wrong' and 'fair' is better off not trading at all. Setting your emotions aside to trade numbers can be a very difficult lesson for feelies.

OurSUBMARINEGo

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:12:21 AM

I'm not sure why the 'ethics' of this are being argued about. I mean, if ANYONE is trading, they are making an attempt at making gains off of other people's losses. How can they be upset if someone does the same thing to them?
maunderingcabal

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Don't dwell in the past, don't dream of the future

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 07:17:12 AM

Is this some kind of Nihilist/Anarchist insider trading club for altcoins? I'm in.

You like my post? Buy me a beer for ฿0.01
13KKQYQLmDFaTtcoPDtnt3My1PPUdcc8AL
My website/blog/bitcoin store
Impaler

Activity: 826

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:55:26 AM

Joerii, I salute your moral compass, and mourn for the lack of such in the rest of the threads posters.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:26:38 AM

Code:
Error establishing a database connection
Roll Eyes
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:14:25 AM

Im in

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
comal

Activity: 58

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 07:36:43 AM

http://www.empowernetwork.com/msycks/files/2013/01/benStillerDoIt1.jpg
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:06:48 AM

I dislike this idea, but best of luck...  Roll Eyes
Astrophysical

Activity: 41

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:19:08 AM

Guess who influences the big Bitcoin swings. This happens on a much much larger scale there just you don't see the groups of original miners dare to post a thread declaring it here.
Uchmanpj

Activity: 36

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:28:04 AM

I'm interested in this because it's creating buzz, and where there's buzz there's vol and profit opps. I just hope the creators aren't getting the biggest paydays...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: