Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 03:35:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-E Confirmed Email Security Feature  (Read 1445 times)
curlymoses (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:48:51 AM

Yesterday I noticed when I clicked on Startpage search links for BTC-E from Mozilla Firefox browser, an Explorer browser window would open to the site. The second time I clicked on the link, I could go to the BTC-E site in the Firefox browser. That was probably a clue as to how my login/password information was accessed, my positions traded for BTC, and BTC withdrawl ordered to address of would-be burglar(s).

The email confirmation step allowed me to cancel the withdrawl order (The unauthorized withdrawl was ordered 4 hours earlier and cancelled immediately from my email account, BTC balance intact.). I didn't log into my email account yesterday (I use different passwords for all accounts).

Today a scan with Eset detected and cleaned threats (Java exploit trojan) on the computer. I changed all my passwords today after all this. And so with BTC balance (less fees) I entered new coin positions on BTC-E. I continue to monitor the situation and I am doing all I can to analyze what happened and adjust accordingly. 
curlymoses (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:10:46 AM

Update: Before I discovered my hacked account, I went for a walk. Before I left the house, I shut the computer down and noticed an Explorer browser window open to my email account login. I use that particular email account rarely and I was not on the computer yet that day. My wife said it popped up (when she checked her email I'm guessing) and she ignored it. Of course when I came home I realized what it all meant.

My conclusion:  BTC-E email confirmation or cancellation of withdrawls works - as long as email account is secure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: