Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:02:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powering risers with server PSU  (Read 634 times)
WalterWhack (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 04:15:01 AM

Hello! First time poster/lurker here.  I am building my first rig and there is only one issue I can't get to the bottom of.  The powered risers mostly take molex or sata connectors, but I will be using a server PSU to power the entire rig (including the main board using  a PICO ATX adapter).  How can I supply the risers with the proper voltage using the correct connectors powered with my server PSU?  Thanks in advance!  You have all already been so helpful.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fusion0389

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 12:11:29 PM

Hello! First time poster/lurker here.  I am building my first rig and there is only one issue I can't get to the bottom of.  The powered risers mostly take molex or sata connectors, but I will be using a server PSU to power the entire rig (including the main board using  a PICO ATX adapter).  How can I supply the risers with the proper voltage using the correct connectors powered with my server PSU?  Thanks in advance!  You have all already been so helpful.

You need to buy risers that have a PCIE connector. There are two types of risers that are very common, the most common is the molex one w\sata adapter. However, there is another kind that has a PCIE instead of a molex connector.
WalterWhack (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 09:35:00 PM

Thank you!  These are exactly what I was looking for.
topgeek

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 11:08:24 PM

how many volts are risers using?

What about the "issue" I've read on here that the motherboard and risers should have the same power source?
kjs

Activity: 188
Merit: 105

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 11:14:34 PM

What about the "issue" I've read on here that the motherboard and risers should have the same power source?

PCIe powered risers with a 6-pin PCIe power connector are 12V.

PCIe powered risers with a Molex power connector are 12V.

PCIe powered risers with a SATA power connector are 5V.

iamnoobplzhelp

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 11:35:49 PM

This is not an issue. Many of my rigs have different power supplies powering the risers vs the motherboard.

Where you WILL run into issues if you try to plug in 2 different power sources into the same GPU. Some GPUs require 8 pin + 6 pin. Don't use 6 pin from one GPU and 8 pin from another.
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 12:46:16 AM

PCIe powered risers with a 6-pin PCIe power connector are 12V.

PCIe powered risers with a Molex power connector are 12V.

PCIe powered risers with a SATA power connector are 5V.

Wrong.  The risers require 12V  (USB risers actually require 12V & 3.3V, and have a 3.3V regulator on board).  SATA power connectors have 12V, 5V, & 3.3V (some don't follow the spec and drop the 3.3V).
topgeek

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:42:55 AM

Thanks for the clarification - so no matter which type of connector a riser uses, it is pulling 12volts from that connector.  Got it. 

re: Motherboard

I've read on here many times in various threads (and it was recently stated in a Bits Be Trippin youtube video) that the motherboard and risers need to be on the same PSU.

Is this not true?

cheers!

p.s.  thanks for the reminder that if a single video card has two PCI connectors (6+6, 6+8 or 8+8) they MUST be from the same PSU for that single card.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: