Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:36:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Im starting a new bitcoin-related project. ANONYMOUS OR NOT?  (Read 2994 times)
Alex Zee

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:10:41 PM

Its only hard in my case to explain that is provably fair, but ill try, and if i cant i will show my identity!

If it's "fair" then it's not exactly gambling. Either you provide a valuable service or you tax ignorant and overly-optimistic people. Which one is it? Smiley

BTC Monitor - systray price ticker
RipTalk.org - new Ripple forum
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nicolazza (OP)

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:18:49 PM

Well in my site users will bet against other users. Its not a "game against a machine" site in which i have to demonstrate that my code is provably fair.
My only job will be to monitor the progress of betting and block users who try to cheat other users with fake bet and so on.

So i cannot demonstrate that my site is provably fair, because i will fight against "cheater".
All i can do (and its just done) is to automatically refund money to fair users if i find a cheater. It quite difficult (you will see) but i NEED to protect my fair users.
nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:21:30 PM

Think about a poker site. How site owner can demonstrate that is provably fair? He can only watch to poker challenges and block cheater.
Any other idea? All suggestions are welcome  Wink
Alex Zee

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:22:42 PM

How are you gonna make money?

nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:26:34 PM

There is an house edge on each bet.

EDIT: for example an house edge of 98%  Grin  Grin  Grin (kidding)
Alex Zee

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:27:24 PM

Congratulations, you are doing classical gambling Smiley

nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:31:00 PM

I dont think so, you will see..however the problem is that till now i cannot demonstrate that is provably fair because i only create the "space" in which users bet. I dont care if a user win/lost thousand $ or cents...i only have to watch at the bets and eventually refund fair users.

So, i think ill show my identity
nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:34:12 PM

When the site is ready, will you test it with me? I will pm you  Wink
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 12:40:46 PM

Find a Trusted partner from some other country, Run project on his details.
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 12:44:14 PM

There is a third option which erases most of the cons of anonymity you listed.  Go anonymous in that your IRL is never divulged, but create a strong identity and presence with your forum handle.  Be active and have great customer service and do everything you can to reach out to your userbase and the community.  Be as transparent as you can possibly be with revealing yourself, use cryptographically "provable" techniques for your service whenever possible.  Help users verify things.

It may take longer, but you will gain trust and reputation and eventually have a flourishing service.

(At which point you can pull a Pirate and disappear with our monies, having pulled a very successful long con.)

Alex Zee

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:50:39 PM

(At which point you can pull a Pirate and disappear with our monies, having pulled a very successful long con.)

Exactly Smiley

I wish more people would self-defeat their own arguments  Grin

nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:54:02 PM

Find a Trusted partner from some other country, Run project on his details.

This was one of my favourite solutions, but i realized that it not the same if i show my REAL identity.

There is a third option which erases most of the cons of anonymity you listed.  Go anonymous in that your IRL is never divulged, but create a strong identity and presence with your forum handle.  Be active and have great customer service and do everything you can to reach out to your userbase and the community.  Be as transparent as you can possibly be with revealing yourself, use cryptographically "provable" techniques for your service whenever possible.  Help users verify things.

It may take longer, but you will gain trust and reputation and eventually have a flourishing service.

+1
now on this forum i have a little more then 70 messages, so i will surely keep posting and "living" on this forum but till now i dont have a "strong forum" identity, and obviously i dont want to spam in order to obtain it  Cheesy

regarding site support, it will be one of the most important focuses of my staff.

i know that when the site will be online and working, i will build my strong (real) identity by answering to all critics and support messages and by explaining my project here on this forum, but the only thing that will make user trust my site since opening is to show my identity
nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:57:26 PM

Using my real identity this will be hard to do, i think

Alex Zee

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 01:09:54 PM

You know what you can start doing to help improve your online identity? Capitalizing the 'i'.

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:10:26 PM

Using my real identity this will be hard to do, i think

It can be hard to maintain anonymity if you scam as well, Pirateat40 being Trendon Shavers is one example. The scam accusations board has many more...

nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 01:14:22 PM

You know what you can start doing to help improve your online identity? Capitalizing the 'i'.

oh, your advice is so generous  Kiss

It can be hard to maintain anonymity if you scam as well, Pirateat40 being Trendon Shavers is one example. The scam accusations board has many more...

this confirm my point, real identity is the solution

axus

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:57:40 PM

Start anonymous, see how that goes.  Once you have something going, you can always reveal yourself.
Herbert

Activity: 488

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 08:58:16 PM

Find a way to make the gambling provably fair for your users. Without this it will get difficult, no matter if you as the operator are anonymous or not. IF the site operates provably fair there is no need for you to be public. Math is always better than a pseudo-public identity which could still be a carefully laid out fake.

www.bitcoinmonitor.net - Free payment notification via email, newsfeed, xpmm/jabber, url callback and full API access!
Send SMS with www.txt4coins.net! No registration, pay-per-use, full API access, bulk messages - All inclusive!
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:43:49 AM

this confirm my point, real identity is the solution

Well, there's been people who have sullied their real names to scam as well,  but many of the scammers operating under their real names simply overpromised and failed in the face of reality.

What you really need to do as you build your site infrastructure is build a reputation for competence and honesty. Trade frequently whether you do it under a real or assumed name. Do join the WOT. Maybe test the registration and login process with a couple other names first so you don't register a key only to find you can't log in.

You can bit coin with a real name or pseudonymously (like anonymous, but some people retain your powerword), but don't assume any screen name can be completely separated from meatspace.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 10:00:05 AM

You are already not anonymous.

You are Nicolò Maria Lazzarin of Montemarciano, Italy. I'll refrain from calling you to demonstrate my point.

Anonymity on the Internet is a myth. Trying to hide your details will only flag you as a proto scammer. It will protect you from nothing.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: