Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:12:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Im starting a new bitcoin-related project. ANONYMOUS OR NOT?  (Read 2994 times)
nicolazza (OP)

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 09:46:03 AM

Not sure where to post this thread, however, if this is the wrong place, move it!

Well im developing and launching a new bitcoin related project, and i dont know which is the best solution about the anonymity.
Few words: this project should be anonymous or not?

Considering that i have no intention to steal money from my users and i want to create a stable and trusted service...

ANONYMOUS (hyde my identity)
PROS:
- avoid tax audits
- avoid becoming the target for some hackers, thieves and so on
- cold storage in a safe place and nobody know that i have some hidden money

CONS:
- little confidence of users
- lack of transparency for the nework

NOT ANONYMOUS (show my identity, domain registrant, public press and so on)
PROS:
- trusted by users
- trusted by the bitcoin network

CONS:
- became a target for hackers, thieves and so on
- became a target for governments and taxes
- no cold storage, for the previous CONS points

What would you do in my situation?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Chi11ed

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:50:28 AM

I would have to go with NOT.

Firstly, try register the project (ie domain or whatever is needed) in a different country if you do need to register something. This will help avoid the tax man to a degree.
Please elaborate on your "Cold Storage". If you mean a bank account offshore, you can still do that. If its a safe at your house, well again, you can still do that.

As for Hackers, well just try and be as safe as you can against them, build your solution around Anti-Hacker and you should be ok  Tongue Encryption is your friend :p

Also never have a decrypter in the same place (ie website).
nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 09:53:46 AM

You are right but forget that if my government discover that i own a site that produce a gain, well it doesnt matter if i have cold storage or an offshore bank account. They will ask me some questions  Cheesy
Alex Zee

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:17:37 AM

It all depends on your country. I live in an "unhappy" one, so I understand your concerns.

On the other hand, being public gives you a lot of advantages in terms of trust and that's a big part that is rare in Bitcoin world.

So I'm afraid you are the one who will have to weigh the benefits vs risks of going open, based on how much screwed up your country is. After all, you live in it Smiley you should know better than any of us the risks associated with being public.

BTC Monitor - systray price ticker
RipTalk.org - new Ripple forum
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:21:35 AM

As a Bitcoin enthousiast I'd like not anonymous
As a Bitcoin developper I'd advise anonymous

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:30:59 AM

Thanks for replies  Wink

However, i live in a REAL UNHAPPY country, so the dilemma is: i want to show my identity, because i love bitcoin, i love this forum and also i really love my project, but my country for some strange reason does everything in his power to harm youth entrepreneurship.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:36:24 AM

Websites that are anonymous do not have a good track record when Bitcoin is involved.

I would never keep much BTC on any anonymously run website and if I did I would certainly not do so for very long.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:39:33 AM

So this is my fate: publish the site, show my identity, and fight against my government, as the bitcoin project itself teaches  Cool
Alex Zee

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:39:55 AM

However, i live in a REAL UNHAPPY country, so the dilemma is: i want to show my identity, because i love bitcoin, i love this forum and also i really love my project, but my country for some strange reason does everything in his power to harm youth entrepreneurship.

Another thing to consider is how much trust exactly your project requires. If it's rather small sums, then you can probably get away with being anonymous. If it's something large - then probably not. Maybe you can tweak your operations somehow to decrease the amount of trust people need to grant you?

Also, consider opening a company in some offshore, but regulated, zone. It can be sort of a middle-ground solution for you.

JimmyFL

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:44:13 AM

You can always start anonymous, and if everything is working great and/or the situation in your country change, you can change it to more public.

But you can't do the opposite.

ps: no trust in an anonymus project? Just two words: Satoshi Nakamoto
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:46:30 AM

Satoshi *gave* us Bitcoin and charged us nothing for it - it doesn't sound as though this project is going to do the same.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

JimmyFL

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:50:46 AM

Satoshi *gave* us Bitcoin and charged us nothing for it - it doesn't sound as though this project is going to do the same.

Yeah, i know, its not the same Smiley
arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:55:38 AM

I am not sure which way is better. MPOE-PR says you shouldn't be anonymous to be successful. But there is number of successful examples of anonymous businesses as well, e. g. Silk Road and possibly btc-e (is it anonymous?).

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 11:08:46 AM

I would have to agree that Silk Road has done rather amazingly well and anonymous *can* work with exchanges as well - in both cases most people are basically just doing transactions (and presumably only to the level that they feel comfortable to risk).

nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 11:31:46 AM

Im developing a gambling project.
I believe that users must trust a site where they bet their money, but a gambling site draws attenction  Grin

I'm investing a lot of money and most of my free time, so i really care about my project and i want users to trust me.

Well, considering that is a gambling site, what would you do?
arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:42:54 AM

IMO just do a provably fair game, no need to show your identity probably. You can find info about provably fair methods on this forum.

Alex Zee

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 11:44:17 AM

Im developing a gambling project.

How original  Roll Eyes

That's what Bitcoin needs, another gambling site... But Ok, it's a free world Smiley

I believe that users must trust a site where they bet their money, but a gambling site draws attenction  Grin

People who gamble is not a very good example of people who know how to manage risks Smiley

So you might get away with it. They will bet small amounts and lose them in hope of one big win, so there's not much trust involved.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 11:58:30 AM

IMO just do a provably fair game, no need to show your identity probably. You can find info about provably fair methods on this forum.

I agree with this and indeed for gambling a site I think anonymous is not a big deal (people will only make small bets anyway).

Please don't spam the blockchain though. Smiley

nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:02:22 PM

It's not a "standard" gambling site, obviously i cant explain my full project and all i can say is that its physically hard to show that is "provably fair", its not a dice or a roulette.

How original  Roll Eyes

That's what Bitcoin needs, another gambling site... But Ok, it's a free world Smiley

People who gamble is not a very good example of people who know how to manage risks Smiley

So you might get away with it. They will bet small amounts and lose them in hope of one big win, so there's not much trust involved.

As above, its not standard, its quite strange and also site users will be different from other bitcoin gambling sites.
How to explain?  Cheesy

However, considering that is a site that could be put under "gambling sites" but its difficult to show that is "probably fair", i think i will show my identity.
nicolazza (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:04:26 PM

I agree with this and indeed for gambling a site I think anonymous is not a big deal (people will only make small bets anyway).

Please don't spam the blockchain though. Smiley

Indeed i HATE blockchain spam, dont worry i wont do that   Smiley
Its only hard in my case to explain that is provably fair, but ill try, and if i cant i will show my identity!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: