Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 04:06:46 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's with value of Alts today?  (Read 1883 times)
Barnacle_Ed

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:20:11 PM

You guys should create another alt coin to throw all your miners at, this will make you feel better.  Trust me.

I totally agree... I need a fix... I'm shaking here.

CocaineCoin, MethCoin, and TobaccoCoin. You can quit mining them anytime you want...promise...
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:22:22 PM

They never had any value with me in the first place. None of these Alt coins are as good as bitcoin, IMO.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
HowGudAmI

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

BTC --> ??? --> PROFIT

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:23:11 PM

They never had any value with me in the first place. None of these Alt coins are as good as bitcoin, IMO.

Hi, you are obviously a long time member who must have seen many worthless ALTcoins come and go, I would be interested to know if you do hold any amounts of alt coins as a way to 'spread your bets'?

I personally have mostly BTC/LTC (the majority switches between the two as i switch them as prices fluctuate for a profit), with very small holdings of other alts just incase they explode in value (I dont have much faith in this actually happening). I feel that this diverse holding reduces risk.

I am also keeping a good percentage of my holdings in LTC aswell as BTC because, although BTC may be the 'king' now - it may not always be - regardless of which is actually better. think VHS vs Betamax, or Myspace/bebo/facebook etc.

Smiley
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:04:56 PM

I guess I shouldn't knock all alt coins. I do not know much about some of them. But it seems many of them are trying to fix something that is not broken or trying to cater to a special interest. Like coins that have a constant block reward for miners. So I do not have any alt coins. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 05:19:33 PM

People used to regularly post complaints that bitcoin was broken economically because a proper currency should not stop making new coins, so if only to shut them up by being able to point to a coin that was designed to do what they said needed to be done, such a coin was made available for them to use instead of bitcoin so they would not have to feel they were somehow being forced or coerced into using a broken economic model.

So the continuous rewards are in at least some cases not there for the miners but, rather, for the people who rabidly insisted that was the proper way a currency should be. The rewards do go to the miners though, it is just not always the case that it is for them that it is set up to do that.

Interestingly, the very people who screamed and shouted that that was the one true way never did actually use the coins that were created "for them". Hmmm.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: