Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:52:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First brain wallet  (Read 622 times)
bigmattana (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 05:56:19 AM

Does anyone know what the first cryptocurrency was to introduce the concept of the brain wallet?  I remember creating a brain wallet back in 2013 or 2014, and I remember the passphrase, but I don't remember what the specific cryptocurrency was.  Any ideas?

I was thinking there was a web interface, but it may have just been a web-like wallet.
BitWhale

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 06:03:44 AM

Brainwallets are obsolete because people figured out how to comb through them with brute force attacks. There was a really interesting video on it on youtube.

The Brainwallets site shut down after that. Some of the more techy folk might be able to help you though, hopefully someone will come by shortly
bigmattana (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 02:23:32 AM

Yeah, I get that brain wallets are obsolete.  I am just trying to figure out what coin is associated with the pass phrase.
I Am Hero

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 02:59:05 AM

it was bitcoin! the project can still be found on github, then others forked it and added other coins.

Brainwallets are obsolete because people figured out how to comb through them with brute force attacks.

no!
it was actually because people were dumb enough to (despite the warning) use a weak pass phrase for their brain wallet.
it is like using 123 as your password to log in here! and they actually did use dumb things such as that.

Buying Bitcoin like a Boss
bigmattana (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 03:04:52 AM

I am Hero - thanks.  I am pretty sure this was not bitcoin in my case, though.  I remember hearing about a new cryptocurrency that you access anywhere through a passphrase, and I got a little of it.  It is possible that Bitcoin was the first but I didn't realize it already had this feature.  I was thinking Bitcoin added this feature later, though.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2017, 06:54:48 AM

I kept a copy of that site, here is a pic showing all the coin options: http://imgur.com/a/806wE

I also have my own brainwallet site here: http://www.motelmaya.com/_BrainWallet.html

My brainwallet site is getting about a dozen hits a day now, up from a couple per month back in 2013.
bigmattana (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 02:30:20 PM

I think I figured it out!   I found in one of my notes it was NXT, and the address number.  (At least that was one of the ones I used that passphrase with.)  Now I just have figure out how to get at the balance using the brain wallet phrase.
mayo2u

Activity: 325
Merit: 26

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:19:10 PM

Brainwallets are obsolete because people figured out how to comb through them with brute force attacks. There was a really interesting video on it on youtube.

The Brainwallets site shut down after that. Some of the more techy folk might be able to help you though, hopefully someone will come by shortly

What? How can brain wallets be obsolete?

"MetsBlueOrangeWasSheaNowCiti" is fairly close to impossible to break.

make a few changes to remove any semblance of a dictionary attack and it is perfect.

Easy to remember and effectively impossible to brute force.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: