Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:46:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to get the "from address" from the bitcoin server client.  (Read 1632 times)
jaminunit (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 14

Co-Founder of TheStandard.io & Vaultoro.com

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:21:58 PM

Hi yall,

So I'm creating a little game for fun and want to automatically send winnings back to the address that funded the game.
I see that http://bitbet.us/ did this. You can send them a bitcoin and they will send you any winnings back to the address it came from.

I have looked all through https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_Calls_list but can't seem to find the function that does that.

I've been a Bitcoiner since 2010, and currently working on TheStandard.io, a next-generation stablecoin, and lending protocol.
The Standard Protocol Announcement thread

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:22:42 PM

Hi yall,

So I'm creating a little game for fun and want to automatically send winnings back to the address that funded the game.
I see that http://bitbet.us/ did this. You can send them a bitcoin and they will send you any winnings back to the address it came from.

I have looked all through https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_Calls_list but can't seem to find the function that does that.

Try get txid and then analyze this transaction.
jaminunit (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:35:14 PM

Thanks Come-from-Beyond
Hmmm this only seems to get me the receiving address

I've been a Bitcoiner since 2010, and currently working on TheStandard.io, a next-generation stablecoin, and lending protocol.
jaminunit (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:43:21 PM

Oh ok the address is hashed.

Any tips on how to  unhash it

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:55:45 PM

Oh ok the address is hashed.

Any tips on how to  unhash it

Can't help here. I used to use blockchain.info API - http://blockchain.info/address/660d4ef3a743e3e696ad990364e555c271ad504b?format=json
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:57:24 PM

The bitcoin system has no such concept of a "from address", as has been explained in hundreds of threads.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
jaminunit (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 03:03:41 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 04:28:26 PM by jaminunit

Oh ok,
So does satoshi dice use the blockchain.ino api?

jaminunit (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 06:07:21 PM

Ok after a heap of dry reading I think I'm going to have to change the way I track incoming and outgoing addresses and funding.

bukaj

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:51:26 PM

Ok after a heap of dry reading I think I'm going to have to change the way I track incoming and outgoing addresses and funding.

What was your idea and why you think it is wrong? I'm asking, because I'm working on accepting coins myself.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:38:37 PM

The short version is that coins don't "come from" anywhere.  If you look at your coins, you can do a little detective work and try to figure out the last place they went to before they went to your wallet.  But when they came to your wallet, they didn't come from that place.

And that is for simple transactions, it can get worse.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
bukaj

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:44:39 PM

I get it. Thank you.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:47:36 AM

The short version is that coins don't "come from" anywhere.  If you look at your coins, you can do a little detective work and try to figure out the last place they went to before they went to your wallet.  But when they came to your wallet, they didn't come from that place.

Coins come from tx inputs, and go into tx outputs. If coins "don't come from anywhere," there is no way for any node to validate a transaction, and Bitcoin doesn't work.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:18:01 AM

Coins come from tx inputs, and go into tx outputs. If coins "don't come from anywhere," there is no way for any node to validate a transaction, and Bitcoin doesn't work.

I think you are taking some metaphors too literally.

niko

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:34:06 AM

I think there such thing as "from" address(es), and we can see them for any given transaction.

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:36:13 AM

I think there such thing as "from" address(es), and we can see them for any given transaction.

Well, as long as you don't mind being wrong, you are free to keep thinking that.  Smiley

niko

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:28:33 PM

The short version is that coins don't "come from" anywhere.  If you look at your coins, you can do a little detective work and try to figure out the last place they went to before they went to your wallet.  But when they came to your wallet, they didn't come from that place.

Well, as long as you don't mind being wrong, you are free to keep thinking that.  Smiley
Explain how this is wrong: every transaction (other than generation-only) includes the public key of the payer (and the ECDSA signature using the corresponding private key of the payer). Payer's public key is thus revealed, and "from" address is simply the RIPEMD-160(SHA-256(PubKey)).

Explicit example:

Of course, if there are multiple inputs, there will be multiple "from" addresses.

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:56:54 PM

Explain how this is wrong: every transaction (other than generation-only) includes the public key of the payer (and the ECDSA signature using the corresponding private key of the payer). Payer's public key is thus revealed, and "from" address is simply the RIPEMD-160(SHA-256(PubKey)).

Explicit example:

Of course, if there are multiple inputs, there will be multiple "from" addresses.

Outputs have scripts, not addresses.  And the recognition that transactions have lists of inputs and outputs should give you pause before thinking that you can connect an output to an input, in general.

Look at these two transactions, and tell me what the "from" address for each one was.

997e5182...
0f463847...

P.S.  blockexplorer.com having a column titled "From Address" doesn't make it so.  And the tooltip note is wrong.

niko

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:57:56 PM

Outputs have scripts, not addresses. 
Not sure how this relates to the question of (non)existence of "from" addresses.

And the recognition that transactions have lists of inputs and outputs should give you pause before thinking that you can connect an output to an input, in general.
Again, nothing to do with the issue discussed here. I never mentioned connecting an output to an input in the same transaction (the sum total needs to match, including miner's fees, that is all - no point connecting particular inputs to particular outputs). We agree there, but it is irrelevant.

Look at these two transactions, and tell me what the "from" address for each one was.

997e5182...
0f463847...

The first one seems to be a multisig attempt from  35nGJpcQr4pYVyFVR3BPbdaWUSk6NBryUD, discussed here.
The second one clearly lists all addresses associated with (many) inputs. These are the "from" addresses.

It's quite simple, can't we agree on this?

OP was asking about "from" addresses, but was told there was no such thing in Bitcoin. I claim this is false, as transaction inputs specify public keys which translate into corresponding addresses. The coins are thus sent from these addresses, in the sense that control (ownership) of coins is reassigned from these "from" addresses (and the corresponding key pairs) to the receiveing addresses (and the corresponding key pairs).

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:32:55 PM

Outputs have scripts, not addresses.

Outputs have predicates, not scripts.  Grin
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:55:43 PM

The second one clearly lists all addresses associated with (many) inputs. These are the "from" addresses.

It's quite simple, can't we agree on this?

OP was asking about "from" addresses, but was told there was no such thing in Bitcoin. I claim this is false, as transaction inputs specify public keys which translate into corresponding addresses. The coins are thus sent from these addresses, in the sense that control (ownership) of coins is reassigned from these "from" addresses (and the corresponding key pairs) to the receiveing addresses (and the corresponding key pairs).

In doing so, you have redefined "from" to mean "the last address that it was sent to".  If muddling the two concepts works for you, then enjoy, I guess.

However, when people come here asking this question, they are trying to do something.  The something that they are doing is dangerous, and never the correct way to solve the (real) problem they have.  Typically, what they really want is a return address.  Bitcoin has no such concepts.  There is no return address, just like there is no sending address.  People working with bitcoin need to accept the system as it really is, not the way they want it to be.  They can choose not to, as you have, but they do so at their own peril, and I won't encourage them down that road.

Bitcoin transactions connect other transactions to scripts.  They do not connect addresses to addresses.  Just because you can sometimes (or even usually) find an address that controlled a now-redeemed transaction does not mean that the new transaction came from that address.  There is no general solution, because the concepts simply do not exist in the system.

Do you understand that?  You are finding things that exist in some transactions that have properties similar to the thing you are looking for, and you claim that they are the thing you are looking for.

What address did this little guy come from?

aaaxn

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:52:06 PM

One transaction input is another transaction output. You claim input is not 'from address'. Isn't it equivalent to saying that previous transaction output is not 'to address'?

█
                              █████████                  ██████ 
                      ███████████████████████████   
              ███████████████████████████████   
            ████████████████████████████████   
        █████████████████████████████████     
    ████████████████████████████████████   
    ████████          █████████          █████████   
  ████████                ██████              ████████   
█████████                █████                ████████   
███████████                █                ███████████ 
██████████████                      ██████████████ 
█████████████████            ████████████████ 
███████████████                  ███████████████ 
█████████████                          █████████████ 
███████████              ███                ██████████ 
  ████████              ███████              ███████     
    █████████        █████████          ████████     
        ██████████████████████████████           
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:32:53 PM

One transaction input is another transaction output. You claim input is not 'from address'. Isn't it equivalent to saying that previous transaction output is not 'to address'?

As I understand it, there is no "address" requirement in bitcoin on the "from" side or the "to" side.

A transaction output sets up a requirement for redeeming.  A transaction input satisfies the redeeming requirement of the previous transaction. Traditionally that requirement is usually a signature and public key from a private key that is associated with a hash value that we call an "address", but it doesn't always have to be.  As long as you can create a script that can be satisfied, and can provide the satisfying requirements in the input of a future transaction, you can transfer the value associated with the previous output into a new transaction to be associated with one or more new outputs.

In otherwords, although you can find many (most?) transactions satisfying a set of attributes that would seem to demonstrate something that you might try to call a "from address", bitcoin itself has no such concept, and to rely on such a concept is to set yourself up for future problems as additional transaction types (such as multi-sig) become more popular.

Many people think that their "coins" are a special unique string of numbers that they transfer around from wallet to wallet.  They believe that "their coins" actually exist inside their wallet file, and that when they back up that wallet, they are storing copies of "coins".  Everything they see in their daily use of bitcoin appears to fit this analogy for them.  It doesn't make it true, and if they relay on such a belief long enough, they'll eventually run into a situation that will cause them a problem.
bukaj

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:39:11 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Script
aaaxn

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:48:29 PM

In otherwords, although you can find many (most?) transactions satisfying a set of attributes that would seem to demonstrate something that you might try to call a "from address", bitcoin itself has no such concept, and to rely on such a concept is to set yourself up for future problems as additional transaction types (such as multi-sig) become more popular.
So we should also stop calling that you send coins to some address? Be consistent and stop relying on such misguided concepts. You will save yourself from problems in future ... you get the point ;]

Anyway, isn't it always possible to create return transaction in such a way that it's spending script will require exactly same information as first one? For example when you receive coins form multi sig transaction cannot you send it back in such way that they are able to spend with same multi sig requirements?

█
█████████████████            ████████████████ 
███████████████                  ███████████████ 
█████████████                          █████████████ 
███████████              ███                ██████████ 
  ████████              ███████              ███████     
    █████████        █████████          ████████     
        ██████████████████████████████           
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:17:38 PM

Anyway, isn't it always possible to create return transaction in such a way that it's spending script will require exactly same information as first one? For example when you receive coins form multi sig transaction cannot you send it back in such way that they are able to spend with same multi sig requirements?

And if there is more than one input with more than one requirement, along with multiple outputs of which you are only one?  Then how do you choose which input to use?
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:25:30 PM

So we should also stop calling that you send coins to some address? Be consistent and stop relying on such misguided concepts. You will save yourself from problems in future ... you get the point ;]

I'm glad you brought this up.  The bitcoin system itself has no addresses.  There is no "address" field in a transaction.  The address is a metaphor that we use to make it easier for humans to interact with the network clients.  If I give you an address, and you then "send coins to that address", what really happened is that your node is using a standard template to create a script based on the hash value encoded in the address.

Well, sorta.  Depending on the script you are looking at, there are three ways it could go.  Case #1, no one is capable of redeeming the new transaction that you make.  Case #2, anyone is capable of redeeming it.  Case #3, one person (or group or whatever) is capable of redeeming it.  The system does not provide enough information in-band to distinguish the three cases.

The only concept that is universally meaningful when receiving a transaction is whether or not you received it.  If you need to make refunds or returns, you need to collect that information outside of the bitcoin system.

aaaxn

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 08:06:26 PM

I'm glad you brought this up.  The bitcoin system itself has no addresses.  There is no "address" field in a transaction.  The address is a metaphor that we use to make it easier for humans to interact with the network clients.  If I give you an address, and you then "send coins to that address", what really happened is that your node is using a standard template to create a script based on the hash value encoded in the address.
Don't see a problem with making it easier for humans. Its not all humans fault that satoshi came up with this strange scripts design.

Well, sorta.  Depending on the script you are looking at, there are three ways it could go.  Case #1, no one is capable of redeeming the new transaction that you make.  Case #2, anyone is capable of redeeming it.  Case #3, one person (or group or whatever) is capable of redeeming it.  The system does not provide enough information in-band to distinguish the three cases.
Could you elaborate on that? On what information does it depend which case it is? I think that for standard send to address transaction I can just send fund to sender address and I am sure that only owner of this address private key can redeem it.

The only concept that is universally meaningful when receiving a transaction is whether or not you received it.  If you need to make refunds or returns, you need to collect that information outside of the bitcoin system.
Scripts was supposedly be powerful tool but in reality any non-standard scripts are forbidden and developers whitelist some kind scripts from time to time so in reality valid transactions types could just be enumerated in source and things would be much simpler.

█