Bitcoin Forum
August 19, 2024, 08:26:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I spend funds without syncing the blockchain?  (Read 291 times)
JGoRed (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:57:19 PM

I’m thinking about buying into a coin that doesn’t have a light wallet and I don’t have the ability to run a full node. Will I be able to create a transaction from a full wallet that does not have a copy of the blockchain (assuming that I have a balance and know the balance via a block explorer). Also, will this change from coin to coin or would the answer apply to most if not all coins?
BTCwriter
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 02:06:25 PM

I’m thinking about buying into a coin that doesn’t have a light wallet and I don’t have the ability to run a full node. Will I be able to create a transaction from a full wallet that does not have a copy of the blockchain (assuming that I have a balance and know the balance via a block explorer). Also, will this change from coin to coin or would the answer apply to most if not all coins?

It depend on the coin, some dev have the ability to code this kind of wallet but some can't as most altcoins are copy/paste from others.
Yes, with Ark you can do that.
JGoRed (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 02:15:45 PM

It depend on the coin, some dev have the ability to code this kind of wallet but some can't as most altcoins are copy/paste from others.
Thanks for the answer. I actually already hold a little bit of ark but it's still in the exchange (perhaps I should move it out, but it's not an overly high amount). I guess I'll just have to experiment with wallet software for each coin before I buy and transfer it to the wallet.
BTCwriter
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 02:18:57 PM

Cool! Yes, I would say the same, try out the water before put all the fish|egg in it  Grin
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 03:16:52 PM

very interesting, can you explain a little more about how this works.
as far as i know to create a transaction usually you need to know which outputs belong to you so that you can spend them!
so you need the blockchain to find those outputs.

now without the blockchain, how do you know which outputs to spend and how to make the transaction?
or does ark work differently?

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
mastadonballs

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 03:22:32 PM

It depends on what coin you are using bt mostly, you can't send funds when your wallet is not syncing the blockchain
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: