Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:35:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: non-profit bitcoin exchange  (Read 1768 times)
lemonginger (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 11:19:27 PM

-community funded
-open-source
-all profits get reinvested in both exchange and large bitcoin development efforts

--

could be a good way to bootstrap bitcoin development in terms of being able to offer bounties, pay coders, etc and also have an open-source exchange.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 974

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 11:23:44 PM

Running an exchange takes more time than anybody can give out for free.

Intersango is the open source exchange platform developed and used by Britcoin.

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
lemonginger (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:11:37 AM

I have a job at a non-profit.

I get paid.

phantomcircuit

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:14:50 AM

-community funded
-open-source
-all profits get reinvested in both exchange and large bitcoin development efforts

--

could be a good way to bootstrap bitcoin development in terms of being able to offer bounties, pay coders, etc and also have an open-source exchange.

Fyi you've basically just described the bitcoinconsultancy.com
lemonginger (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:17:39 AM

cool thanks for heads-up!
nakowa

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:31:45 AM

Should not be against to profit.
terroh8er

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:04:22 AM

Supporting a non-profit isn't the same as being anti-profit. I think it would be a great opportunity to expand the community and would increase competition. Let's face it, MtGox could use some.
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:07:36 AM

Non-profit does not equal "anti-profit." Without charities laissez-faire advocates would have no means of furthering their arguments.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:16:50 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2011, 07:33:08 AM by repentance

Supporting a non-profit isn't the same as being anti-profit. I think it would be a great opportunity to expand the community and would increase competition. Let's face it, MtGox could use some.

Based on the volume over the last couple of days, TH is giving MtGox a serious run for their money now.

Non-profits typically need to be incorporated in some way and are subject to government scrutiny.  Someone needs to be responsible for all of the back-end stuff and that someone will have legal responsibilities.  We've seen what happens when an exchange gets significant volume and only has a couple of staff.  You'd need to employ paid staff as well as attract initial funding to get it up and running.  It's not a bad idea but it needs a significant lead time to be executed well and some serious upfront funding.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:20:53 AM

Yeah; unless you find a way to make the exchange truly distributed, so that anyone can run a node and take part of the burden in bandwidth/responsibility, I don't think it is feasible to have an institution like this non-profit.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
bracek

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:41:34 AM

would it be possible to make something (p2p application) that would be distributed on miners computers ?
they would host it , and through that network to run the exchange
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 08:46:32 AM

would it be possible to make something (p2p application) that would be distributed on miners computers ?
https://github.com/macourtney/Dark-Exchange

frozen

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:59:18 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2011, 09:46:00 AM by frozen

Without charities laissez-faire advocates would have no means of furthering their arguments.

False. The (theoretical) absence of charities would still fail to justify violence against peaceful individuals.

The only "laissez-faire advocates" that are unable to further their arguments in the absence of charities are those that haven't based their conclusions from first principles. When you work from first principles, the conclusions don't matter.

phantomcircuit

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:02:47 PM

https://github.com/macourtney/Dark-Exchange

Dark exchange is basically just a very complicated #bitcoin-otc
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:14:55 PM

How would you transfer the dollars?
lemonginger (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:33:51 PM

it doesn't need to be technically incorporated as a non-profit. The essence of what I was proposing is that there is still a need for a well-run and transparent exchange and exchanges have the potential to make a lot of bank. An exchange that was run on a transparent open-source platform and essentially funneled its profits into the bitcoin community in terms of funding other projects would, I think, enjoy huge popularity among bitcoin users.

In any case, it appears bitcoin consultancy is pretty much using part of that model with Intersango.

A bitcoin credit union could essentially work the same way.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: