Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:01:52 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble importing private keys to Electrum 2.8.3:  (Read 595 times)
Vic UC (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 11:16:52 PM

When I select

wallet>private keys>sweep

Window opens & I paste private key from paper wallet - but the "sweep" button does not highlight, stays inactive. Assumed private key was incorrect, but I tried four different ones, several times, and still nothing. Has this function been removed from this version?

If so, how to?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2017, 11:39:07 PM

Are you sure you have entered the private key correctly? Make sure that you are not missing any characters and you don't have any extra characters (e.g. non-breaking spaces) in the private key that you entered. You can also try a different wallet and see if that wallet recognizes the private key.

HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 12:00:32 AM

Is your paper wallet encrypted (does it have a password)? If it has a password it's encrypted and needs decrypting before electrum will let you import/sweep it.

The software a paper wallet is created with is usually able to decrypt it.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 01:12:34 AM

When I select

wallet>private keys>sweep

Window opens & I paste private key from paper wallet - but the "sweep" button does not highlight, stays inactive. Assumed private key was incorrect, but I tried four different ones, several times, and still nothing. Has this function been removed from this version?

If so, how to?

Where are you trying to sweep a key from? If its from blockchain.info, you should take a look at the following post:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1970345.msg19609200#msg19609200

You may need to convert your private key before importing it in the manner described in that post.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 04:03:09 AM

The private key needs to be in wallet import format:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key#Base58_Wallet_Import_format
Vic UC (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 12:32:59 AM

You are so right, thank you for the link. The Private Key needed to be uncompressed, and in fact Electrum recognized it; however the problem is the HD wallet does not support Sweeping so I'll have to create a non-HD Standard wallet to complete the procedure.

Thanks for the tip! Keep up the good path!
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 02:57:36 AM

You are so right, thank you for the link. The Private Key needed to be uncompressed, and in fact Electrum recognized it; however the problem is the HD wallet does not support Sweeping so I'll have to create a non-HD Standard wallet to complete the procedure.

Thanks for the tip! Keep up the good path!

HD wallets should be able to sweep as that should just be moving the coins to your current wallet. You can't directly import the address unless you have a non-HD wallet, but you should be able to sweep regardless.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: