Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:13:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: I posted a poll by mistake, and you think :
I am an idiot noob - 1 (25%)
its okay, we know the website was displaying wrongly for you , and we forgive you. - 3 (75%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new here, . question about my wallet, bitcoin -qt  (Read 591 times)
kevinnem (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:59:16 PM

hmm, .the page is displaying oddly, I think I might have made a poll, nontheless.

I have downloaded bitcoin -qt, and even visited a few places was able to get a VERY small amount of coin in it. I am wondering however about the "address" or "keys" That are used.

can someone please explain in some detail the "public/private " keys situation, and what I need to back up in order to get my coins back if I lose my computer, and also, what key I share with others to get paid, and what key I use to pay others..

Sorry if it is kinda noobish, but I find that the information I was expecting to see in bitcoin -qt, is note really what I see.

THANKS!
soniq

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:07:29 PM

Hi

Under the various tabs

To backup the wallet click the File tab, you will see backup wallet, save this file on a thumb/zip drive. Or in an encypted file. This is the file you will use to backup up your wallet in case of computer failure or theft

Addresses are created in the Receive coins and Send coins tabs. When you open these tabs up, at the bottom of the page there is a tab to create new addresses. Click these tabs, create a name for each  and then copy and share addresses as need. Of course you will only be sharing the Receive coin addresses

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:19:01 PM

what key I share with others to get paid,

You give a Bitcoin Address from the "Receive Coins" tab to get paid.

and what key I use to pay others..

Others will send/tell you one of their bitcoin addresses for you to pay them.  You will enter that address in the "Pay To:" field under the "Send Coins" tab.

can someone please explain in some detail the "public/private " keys situation, and what I need to back up in order to get my coins back if I lose my computer

The "private keys" are stored in the wallet.dat file that you can backup from the "File" menu.

Generally, you will not know what these private keys are, and you will not use them directly.  The Wallet software takes care of using them as needed when creating a transaction.
kevinnem (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:24:33 PM

Thanks for the help, I am getting it sorted out a bit I guess...

I see that there is the "receive coins" tab, and this is the number/account (what do you call this?Huh)  I share if I want to GET coins.

Mine is : 1QCvEe6xU6Dsh83bxEaEsh8ftGnoqUvgoH

now, if I want to send coins , there is a place for me to enter a number there too (who ever I am sending too)....

However, I get confused as soon as I start to think about my "account"

Do I have a account number, . or just send and receive address?

There is a back up option, it makes a "DAT" file, is that the file I need to keep track of.

I am sorry, for noob questions, but just fighting with terms and some of the concepts.

THANKS YOU for all the help, it is really appreciated
Marko Ot Balkana

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:33:06 PM

Thanks for the help, I am getting it sorted out a bit I guess...

I see that there is the "receive coins" tab, and this is the number/account (what do you call this?Huh)  I share if I want to GET coins.

now, if I want to send coins , there is a place for me to enter a number there too (who ever I am sending too)....

There is a back up option, it makes a "DAT" file, is that the file I need to keep track of.

I am sorry, for noob questions, but just fighting with terms and some of the concepts.

THANKS YOU for all the help, it is really appreciated

You might want to checkout this link:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Accounts_explained

It has more information than you need to work with bitcoin-qt, but it should give you pretty good information how things work under the hood.
kevinnem (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:08:06 PM

okay, so I am 10 steps farther down the path now..

If I hve a backed up version of the dat file, are there risks I should know about.. is it one time back up , .. or after each trasaction? ... how do I "USE" the dat file, I don't see a option to "import dat file" or "restore from back up" in bitcoin -qt

Oh, and 1 more question, . how do I find out the address that they "came" from .. or is that even possible ... seems to me that bit coin is "1 sided" in so far as you can see receiving addresses, be not "sending" address is this right?
tjamz

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:16:49 PM

okay, so I am 10 steps farther down the path now..

If I hve a backed up version of the dat file, are there risks I should know about.. is it one time back up , .. or after each trasaction? ... how do I "USE" the dat file, I don't see a option to "import dat file" or "restore from back up" in bitcoin -qt

Oh, and 1 more question, . how do I find out the address that they "came" from .. or is that even possible ... seems to me that bit coin is "1 sided" in so far as you can see receiving addresses, be not "sending" address is this right?

every time you send coins it makes a new address... it starts with 100... once those 100 are used up you need to make a backup or you'll loose your coins if you've only got an old backup

so good idea would be, if you send a lot of coins, back up every month (or 100 sends)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:22:11 PM

It is very important to make multiple backups of your wallet.dat file. Put it on media storage and hide it like cash. If your house burns down and all is lost, you only need that file to start using bitcoin again.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:11:57 PM

Most people call it a "bitcoin address", or if it's obvious from context that you are talking about bitcoin, simply an address.

You can have more than one address in a wallet.  You can have as many as you like.  You might want to create a different address to give to each person/company/entity that might send you bitcoins.  That way when you receive the bitcoins you'll be able to tell where they came from since you'll be able to see what address they were sent to.  For that matter, it is generally a good practice to use a new bitcoin address for every transaction when possible.  This helps to increase your privacy and anonymity.  To get an additional address in your wallet, you can click the "New Address" button in the "Receive Coins" tab.

Just send and receive addresses.  There is no account number.

Yes.

If I hve a backed up version of the dat file, are there risks I should know about.. is it one time back up , .. or after each trasaction?

The backup stores all your current bitcoin addresses (and their respective hidden "private keys") as well as the next 100 addresses that you will use.  Every time you click the "New Address" button, it draws from this pool of 100 addresses.  Also, every time you create a transaction to send bitcoins somewhere, it draws from this pool of 100 addresses and moves some of your bitcoins to the new "hidden" address that it doesn't bother telling you about, but keeps track of for you in the ".dat" file.  You don't see the new address in the "Receive Coins" tab since you didn't request it, but since the wallet knows about it in the ".dat" file, it includes the coins that are associated with the address when it displays your balance.

As such, it is a good idea to get in the habit of backing up on a regular basis.  How often really depends on how often you create addresses in the "Receive Coins" tab and how often you create transactions to send bitcoins.  Sum up the approximate number of addresses you've "created" using the "New Address" button plus the number of transactions you've sent all since your last backup, and if that sum is larger than 25 consider creating a new backup.  Then keep the 4 most recent backups somewhere safe.  This way you've got at least three copies of backups that should contain access to all your bitcoins.  If one backup becomes damaged or otherwise unrecoverable, you'll have a slightly older backup you can revert to.

Note, if you add a password to your wallet (or change your password on your wallet), you should IMMEDIATELY backup.  The process of adding or modifying a password on the wallet discards the entire pre-generated pool of 100 address and generates 100 new addresses using the new password.  This means if you don't immediately backup, then you won't have any of the new addresses in any of your current backups.

... how do I "USE" the dat file, I don't see a option to "import dat file" or "restore from back up" in bitcoin -qt

You shut down Bitcoin-Qt.  Then you find the directory on your hard drive where the wallet stores its wallet.dat file (it is different in each operating system).  You place a copy of your backup file in that directory, and then start Bitcoin-Qt up again.

In general bitcoins don't really have a "came from" address.  With technical knowledge it is possible to parse the blockchain and find the transaction output that was spent.  By looking at the details of that transaction, you can see what address (or addresses) the bitcoin value was previously associated with. Others with soe technical knowledge have already done the parsing for you and created websites to allow you to look up data from the blockchain (blockexplorer.com and blockchain.info).  If you search for the transactionID at blockchain.info, you can see the previous addresses.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: