Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:04:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Node signaling and auto upgrade; Possible incentivization?  (Read 404 times)
thisisbitduck (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2017, 09:34:51 PM

I don't know if this has been addressed, I'd like to find a node focused channel / forum ideally. . Anyway...

What I want to achieve is auto update of nodes to current software.

A master node you trust uses an encrypted hash/string (signed, verified - not sure of the proper term) UA comment and other nodes that trust this node run the update command bringing them up to date if the UA comment is valid.

I'm really interested in distributed networks and torrent like communication.

Perhaps this could be a way of incentivizing full nodes? The verification and distribution of the node software itself.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 04:51:25 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Doing this would place trust in those who are writing code of node software. It would also centralize control of Bitcoin.

The reason why a new version of node software would be released is because features were added and/or rules were changed (validation rules). If someone doesn't agree with these changes then they would likely not upgrade (although they may upgrade for other reasons). I held off upgrading my node for many months because I did not agree with RBF features added to then-most recent version of core, and even went as far as to use alternate implementations of Bitcoin software.

Some people argue that the current development team should be releaved of their duties of writing Bitcoin software. Your proposal would make this impossible, or nearly impossible.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: