Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:18:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin and FPGA/ASIC resistance  (Read 1364 times)
Bullbear (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 08:39:22 PM

I've seen a few posts around here and at least one listing on cryptostocks or LTCGlobal that are building FPGA's for mining Litecoins, is this really possible? I thought the whole idea behind Litecoin was that it was resistant to this stuff? Does this mean that Litecoin ASICs will roll out sometime too?
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mahn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 08:44:36 PM

Of course. Litecoin is resistant to what's currently out there in the market, but that doesn't mean someone can't eventually figure out how to build a FPGA or ASIC for Litecoin. It's theorized, though, that if these things ever get built, they won't be able to provide the equivalent computing boost to that of the current Bitcoin FPGAs and ASICs.

thep33t

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 08:47:02 PM

Of course. Litecoin is resistant to what's currently out there in the market, but that doesn't mean someone can't eventually figure out how to build a FPGA or ASIC for Litecoin. It's theorized, though, that if these things ever get built, they won't be able to provide the equivalent computing boost to that of the current Bitcoin FPGAs and ASICs.

Especially at the cost/Hash.

Feathercoin Pool - http://feathercoin.is-a-geek.com - [PPLNS][0% Fees]
FTC: 6sf5CgurY5axcd2cwDHmiwdVMdAF9fw6pU       BTC: 1J74TaaKuNMoy25TP5vXKG2Jw8yg1sqyyQ       BTE: 8QZ2XiantPF8eWmzayo5WaXyYC8unBq5ZC     LTC: LatpwWc4GQyF2teKegZHiDGEGdNEKqEPTT
furuknap

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

http://coin.furuknap.net/

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 08:49:03 PM

I've seen a few posts around here and at least one listing on cryptostocks or LTCGlobal [...]

What did I miss? Links?

.b

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:08:19 PM

I've seen a few posts around here and at least one listing on cryptostocks or LTCGlobal that are building FPGA's for mining Litecoins, is this really possible? I thought the whole idea behind Litecoin was that it was resistant to this stuff? Does this mean that Litecoin ASICs will roll out sometime too?

Yes, kind of, probably

http://www.openwall.com/lists/crypt-dev/2013/03/21/1

The issue is that C. Percival's algorithm has a "feature" called time-memory tradeoff (TMTO) also known as space-time tradeoff.  Basically, you can trade more ALU cycles for less memory usage.

Very smart people have tried to eliminate this problem and failed; I won't pretend I've solved it with MC2, I myself am only using an alternative algorithm to further delay FPGA introduction.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Novus

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:03:22 AM

Well JasinLee has stated that this isn't their group's IPO, so either this is a scam or by a group that used the same name (which is actually a pretty straightforward name)
iPaulito

Activity: 150

1EDwkxCjCMGGNQqZdxa8FwheMHXSoQe4TU

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:23:41 AM

It is just a matter of time... there will allways be someone smarter
- just my humble opinion
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 04:29:35 AM

- just my humble opinion

As litecoin has already changed the algo once, they can change it again.  It is doubtful that much can be done beyond GPU's with scrypt due to the memory requirements.  You could create an ASIC but with the RAM requirements it would be large and one quick change to the formula would increase the ram requirements in an instant killing the usefulness of the ASIC. 

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:20:36 AM

- just my humble opinion

As litecoin has already changed the algo once, they can change it again.  It is doubtful that much can be done beyond GPU's with scrypt due to the memory requirements.  You could create an ASIC but with the RAM requirements it would be large and one quick change to the formula would increase the ram requirements in an instant killing the usefulness of the ASIC.  

No, you just increase the number of scratchpad recalculations using the same amount of memory.  You can calculate a scrypt hash of any memory size on less memory, it just takes longer (memory usage is not fixed; it's just the amount of memory that yields the least number of ALU cycles possible).

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Bullbear (OP)

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 08:26:23 PM

Thanks for the explanations, I think I have a lot of reading to do before I can understand them though Smiley
NickCoin

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:38:39 AM

- just my humble opinion

As litecoin has already changed the algo once, they can change it again.  It is doubtful that much can be done beyond GPU's with scrypt due to the memory requirements.  You could create an ASIC but with the RAM requirements it would be large and one quick change to the formula would increase the ram requirements in an instant killing the usefulness of the ASIC. 

Hopefully that's the case when new scrypt Asics come out. Otherwise, I predict new encryption algorithm will come out to replace Litecoin.
fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 06:28:51 AM

If someone makes an ASIC for Litecoin, a new litecoin ASIC resistant with the re-adjusted paramesters should appear.

But an ASIC with the amount of memory required to mine LTCs will cost a lot of money.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: