Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:57:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My bitcoins have been stolen  (Read 4736 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:09:19 PM

Well if there is no override for locked address on your pool account then I guess you don't have much choice.  Maybe the attacker will be slow.  As soon as you get 1 confirm spend the coins to an exchange or ewallet.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:09:30 PM

My wallet is 3 inches away from the window that the forum is on.  I am staring at the confirms.  It has not even confirmed once yet.

Oh, I didn't know you couldn't spend unconfirmed tx's on the main client.

Kennji (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Mine Litecoins.

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:10:06 PM

Well if there is no override for locked address on your pool account then I guess you don't have much choice.  Maybe the attacker will be slow.  As soon as you get 1 confirm spend the coins to an exchange or ewallet.

Got the "Send Coins" tab ready to go ... sending to my CampBX account.

Just waiting for the BTC to become available.

LTC - LKcrBEAbuW85obSbHnmw7y8XWWufWqjsxx
BTC - 1JseeJ4h2XsShmaj1ci2J3kWA6qhCfj52U
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:10:31 PM

Why are you sending funds to a compromised address?  Very likely the attacker will see the new funds and instantly create a tx to spend them before you.  Now you simply put yourself in a race with the attacker for your funds.  Maybe you win but the attacker has nothing to lose.  He will gladly play 'race for kenji coins" all day everyday.

Well I didn't know that.

It is one transaction for .08 ... I will take my chances.

You suggesting I just reformat my computer and not even try to get the coins I mined?

All anyone is suggesting is not using that wallet anymore.

I'd at least try to get ABC Pool to change my receiving address before giving a thief an opportunity to steal more money from me.

Still around.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:10:50 PM

My wallet is 3 inches away from the window that the forum is on.  I am staring at the confirms.  It has not even confirmed once yet.

Oh, I didn't know you couldn't spend unconfirmed tx's on the main client.

Yeah QT client requires at least 1 confirm before spending (no override without recompiling).  A smart attacker would be creating a tx with the unconfirmed input my guess is the attacker isn't that smart so OP may have a shot.
Kennji (OP)

Mine Litecoins.

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:11:18 PM

Why are you sending funds to a compromised address?  Very likely the attacker will see the new funds and instantly create a tx to spend them before you.  Now you simply put yourself in a race with the attacker for your funds.  Maybe you win but the attacker has nothing to lose.  He will gladly play 'race for kenji coins" all day everyday.

Well I didn't know that.

It is one transaction for .08 ... I will take my chances.

You suggesting I just reformat my computer and not even try to get the coins I mined?

All anyone is suggesting is not using that wallet anymore.

I'd at least try to get ABC Pool to change my receiving address before giving a thief an opportunity to steal more money from me.

ABC Pool makes you lock your BTC address and cannot be changed Sad

yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:12:04 PM

What evidence do you have that the guy who bought your card stole your btc? Your computer could be hacked any time you were sleeping.

Would be an amazing coincidence.

My wallet is ALWAYS open.  Since the day I got it ... it is always open.

All the sudden ... this guy comes over with his USB drive.  Starts doing a bunch of stuff.  Remoting in to his computer etc.

While I am in the kids room making sure they are not getting hurt while they are playing.

His daughter was jumping off my sons desk on to his bed.  So I went in there to make sure they did not get hurt and stop the jumping.

6 hours later ... my BTC are missing.

So to think my computer was hacked from the time that guy left to 6 hours later ... is a long, long, long shot.  Like, LONG shot.

Come on man lol it's pretty clear what happened here.

This guy could do anything to your computer while you were away. He could copy your private key and then use it to take your btc out of your wallet, and you can not say for sure if he did this or not. Technically, you can blame only yourself in this situation.

The fact that he agreed to return your card is suspicious though. If the guy is not guilty, why would he want to pay for your fault?

Kennji (OP)

Mine Litecoins.

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:14:08 PM

What evidence do you have that the guy who bought your card stole your btc? Your computer could be hacked any time you were sleeping.

All the sudden ... this guy comes over with his USB drive.  Starts doing a bunch of stuff.  Remoting in to his computer etc.

While I am in the kids room making sure they are not getting hurt while they are playing.

His daughter was jumping off my sons desk on to his bed.  So I went in there to make sure they did not get hurt and stop the jumping.

So to think my computer was hacked from the time that guy left to 6 hours later ... is a long, long, long shot.  Like, LONG shot.

This guy could do anything to your computer while you were away. He could copy your private key and then use it to take your btc out of your wallet, and you can not say for sure if he did this or not. Technically, you can blame only yourself in this situation.

The fact that he agreed to return your card is suspicious though. If the guy is not guilty, why would he want to pay for your fault?

lol give me a break man.

Only one to blame is myself?

MY FAULT?!!?!

lol Good Lord!

Kennji (OP)

Mine Litecoins.

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:16:40 PM

So if someone steals money from a donation trey at Church.  Is it the Pastors fault for passing it around?!

lol I got robbed here man.  I am almost offended you say it is my fault.

Blazr

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:17:07 PM

It is partly your fault, you shouldn't have your wallet unencrypted and open on your PC.

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:18:12 PM

The BTC were actually transferred about one hour and forty-three minutes after they were first sent to this wallet.

What I really don't get is why he had to do anything to your computer at all. There are so many ways to get your BTC address that don't require him even seeing your computer.

Still around.
yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:22:36 PM

lol I got robbed here man.  I am almost offended you say it is my fault.

You got robbed, but you don't have any strong arguments against the guy whom you blame. In fact, if he was not stupid, he would deny everything and refuse to take any responsibility for your fault.

yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:25:20 PM

What I really don't get is why he had to do anything to your computer at all. There are so many ways to get your BTC address that don't require him even seeing your computer.

But to get to computer and copy wallet.dat to usb stick is the easiest thing to do, isn't it? I mean, even computer dummy can do this.

Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:27:31 PM

It seems you made it... right?
http://blockchain.info/address/19QXrx5FGgepoqdyMMvk5cDxGCQCN5bLut
freethink2013

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:30:56 PM

I think you should demand your coins and card back. You know where he lives etc. He wasn't much of a crook giving you his details but crooks are often stupid and/or forgetful. Maybe it was just a crime of opportunity done on the spur of the moment so he didn't think it through. Nonetheless, get everything back.
Blazr

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:33:21 PM

I think you should demand your coins and card back. You know where he lives etc. He wasn't much of a crook giving you his details but crooks are often stupid and/or forgetful. Maybe it was just a crime of opportunity done on the spur of the moment so he didn't think it through. Nonetheless, get everything back.

There is no guarantee that the guy actually stole his BTC. Many wallet stealers won't take the funds right away but will wait until a sizeable amount is transferred into the wallet before it cleans it out.

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:35:44 PM

But to get to computer and copy wallet.dat to usb stick is the easiest thing to do, isn't it? I mean, even computer dummy can do this.

Easier than emailing it to him? Easier than getting a QR code from blockchain.info and letting him scan it? Easier than texting it to him?

That's like saying, "I owed him some money and the easiest thing to do was give him unrestricted access to my bank account and let him do the rest."

I plan on sending and receiving bitcoins from individuals at the San Jose conference and I guarantee that I will not voluntary give anyone access to my phone or laptop. Heck, I'll be able to receive bitcoins several different ways even if I don't take my phone or laptop!

Still around.
yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:39:27 PM

Easier than emailing it to him? Easier than getting a QR code from blockchain.info and letting him scan it? Easier than texting it to him?

What are you talking about? To get btc out of the wallet you need access to private key. You can not get somebody's private key from blockchain.info

yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:42:29 PM

There is no guarantee that the guy actually stole his BTC. Many wallet stealers won't take the funds right away but will wait until a sizeable amount is transferred into the wallet before it cleans it out.

This is what I am talking about. There is 90% chance that he did stole btc from OP, but still 10% chance that he did not. There is no strong evidence.

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:44:12 PM

What are you talking about? To get btc out of the wallet you need access to private key. You can not get somebody's private key from blockchain.info

There seems to be some misunderstanding.

I meant, Kennji had no reason to let him touch his computer. I thought you were saying that it was the easiest way to give him the receiving address to send the funds to. I now see you probably meant it was the easiest way for a thief to gain access to his wallet and you're right, it is.

Still around.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: