Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:16:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My bitcoins have been stolen  (Read 4736 times)
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 12:19:12 AM

If it was me and I accidently infected OP's PC with malware that I didn't know was on my USB stick I would feel guilty for OP's loss and return the card.

Well, if I was sure that my USB stick caused a problem, may be I would do the same. But honestly, this story about accidental malware sounds like BS to me Smiley

I lived in not very safe area for a while. My car was cracked 3 times there, and things were stolen. I knew teenagers who did that, but I could not prove that they did. Reporting to police was useless, they could not do anything too. So, this is a situation when you can blame only yourself if hoodlums steal from you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
krudkeeper

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hodl regularly and often!

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:35:54 AM

Good luck.  Undecided

🆙
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 12:49:15 AM

Why would you let someone do that? Really? Unless they are someone you know well never let them plug something into your computer and if you are planning on doing that, have a separate computer (maybe a separate wallet.dat) that has no BTC on it for people to plug in stuff when trading and then clear it afterwards.
sunshin3

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:56:55 AM

A question,please.

reformatting hard drive and reinstalling Windows will remove keystroke logger,viruses AND rootkits?

thank-you

you want to delete all the partitions first,

then install windows (which will create a partition that takes up 100% of your drive, and format it)

Full format does not write anymore more then quick format, it just tests if it can read sectors and marks bad ones bad. So there is no need to do a full format, quick is fine
Cameltoemcgee

Activity: 54

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:03:28 AM

Sorry if its already been mentioned, but https://bitcoinarmory.com/ is what i use to store my wallets. make a paper backup of an offline wallet and you're good Smiley
Cameltoemcgee

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:03:53 AM

hopefully it'll stop it from ever happening again
pencileraser

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:07:30 AM

so he's returning the card out of the goodness of his heart and despite the fact he lost not only what he paid for the card but also money from his own wallet.

If I believed the other person needs it more than I do and was not responsible, I would.

Besides, if he was the thief and he returns the card, what has he gained? Just the BTC, right? They would both be back to where they started - Kennji would have his card back and the thief would have just stolen his own bitcoins back.

He's only returning the card because he was caught.

I can't believe how people on here seem to want to go for the most elaborate scenario possible when it's obvious what happened. Anyway good luck to the op.

THIS. The whole "oh some malware got on his USB stick and it autoran on your computer" is sooooo unlikely, that is not how most malware is spread whatsoever, and most people have USB autorun off, I think it's off by default in most modern Windows installs.

The argument of "he didn't do this scam in the same way that many thieves do scams!" is just silly, there are tons of novice criminals, dumb criminals, etc., and it's even possible that he had only vaguely thought of it before, but once he was there and you left the room, he went "ah why not".

Anyhow, if the guy claims he ALSO had coins stolen at the same time, I'd like to see him prove that, show a transaction at the same time from an address he can prove is his. THEN maybe I'd start to believe him.

gl OP
sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:30:46 AM

He probably just copied your wallet.dat file to the usb drive.  Then he spent your coins when he got to another computer.
Cameltoemcgee

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:57:33 AM

yeah, probably. a simple batch file would have done the trick.
anyroll

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:34:37 AM

You know what I would do if someone ripped me off like that? Id get my revolver put it to his head and make him empty his wallet.

But thats just me.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 10:40:37 AM

THIS. The whole "oh some malware got on his USB stick and it autoran on your computer" is sooooo unlikely, that is not how most malware is spread whatsoever, and most people have USB autorun off, I think it's off by default in most modern Windows installs.

Wrong, malware is spread on USB sticks and very often the autorun is turned on on default, this is one of the ways Stuxnet, Flame, Conficker and others spread onto so many computers.

Signature space available for rent.
Shinodan

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 10:44:10 AM

This makes me facepalm, dont give a s**t who you are, you aint pluggin NOTHING into my pc.

Feel bad for you man but that was a really silly thing to let someone do.

Lisk
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 10:50:59 AM

Guess I will be reinstalling Windows right now ...

Don't do that, First try to find what is on your pc, usually bitcoin stealers send wallet to FTP etc
check running files, do virus scan if you find some random .exe file running find location of that file and zip it then you can contact me for analysis.

otherwise you will never knew who stole it.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:04:46 AM

Was the OP's wallet encrypted?

escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:38:16 AM

Was the OP's wallet encrypted?

Probably not and OP let him use his PC.

@OP how did he sent you bitcoins from your pc

Your Bitcoin client?
sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:42:52 AM

Does Windows have any kind of logging in which you can see what devices were mounted and if the file was copied to it?  This could be used as evidence against the thief.
Kennji (OP)

Activity: 84

Mine Litecoins.

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:51:20 AM

I finally got done reformatting and reinstalling Windows on my machine.

He gave me back the card.

What a horrible experience this is\was.

I lost .5 BTC in the whole thing because the thief (whoever it is... I am so confused) got everything in my wallet and I had .5 before this entire transaction with the USB stick and the 7970 sale happened.

LTC - LKcrBEAbuW85obSbHnmw7y8XWWufWqjsxx
BTC - 1JseeJ4h2XsShmaj1ci2J3kWA6qhCfj52U
Kennji (OP)

Activity: 84

Mine Litecoins.

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:58:43 AM

I have no idea the many different ways to transfer BTC from wallet to wallet.

I kept asking him how we were going to do this.  I thought he would just bring over his Laptop or something and transfer me the coins.

But he never answered.  Just came over and got this USB stick.  Said he can use that to transfer me coins.

I was like "oh cool"  --  I didn't suspect any foul play.

Then 103 minutes later my coins are gone.

LTC - LKcrBEAbuW85obSbHnmw7y8XWWufWqjsxx
BTC - 1JseeJ4h2XsShmaj1ci2J3kWA6qhCfj52U
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:05:38 PM

You know what I would do if someone ripped me off like that? Id get my revolver put it to his head and make him empty his wallet.

But thats just me.

finally someone talking some sense. =P

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:09:48 PM

I have no idea the many different ways to transfer BTC from wallet to wallet.

I kept asking him how we were going to do this.  I thought he would just bring over his Laptop or something and transfer me the coins.

But he never answered.  Just came over and got this USB stick.  Said he can use that to transfer me coins.

I was like "oh cool"  --  I didn't suspect any foul play.

Then 103 minutes later my coins are gone.

Well probably he did that with bad intentions and thought to return card after getting caught otherwise if was in his place and didn't done this and also got my own bitcoins stolen i will contact you first because i plugged my usb in your pc.

But he didn't contacted you.

You are lucky that you didn't had your own bitcoins in wallet.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: