Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 05:20:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interest charged for a 2 minute trade vs 2 day margin trade  (Read 438 times)
arbee (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 01:17:21 PM

In exchanges like Poloniex and Bitfinex when you trade on margin, is the total loan interest fees incurred the same if you close out your margin position within 2 minutes vs 2 days? I ask this because the "loans" are typically on a 2 days contract. Ideally it should be prorated but I am not sure if it's done that way.
ktabb

Activity: 266
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2017, 01:33:03 PM

In exchanges like Poloniex and Bitfinex when you trade on margin, is the total loan interest fees incurred the same if you close out your margin position within 2 minutes vs 2 days? I ask this because the "loans" are typically on a 2 days contract. Ideally it should be prorated but I am not sure if it's done that way.

Not sure how it works withi Poloniex or Bitfinex but when I do margin trading on Fidelity, margin interest is accrued every day. I am pretty sure that if I buy and sell within one day, it still charges one day's worth of interest... Two days would be more either way though.

Might be different with Poloniex or Bitfinex.

arbee (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 04:38:55 AM

Three weeks after my original post I still have not found the answer.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 04:48:03 AM

I rarely use bitfinex but if I'm not mistaken it should be different when you close your deal in 2 minutes than 2 days, have you tried to send a support ticket?

🖤😏
SONG GEET

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 05:07:44 AM

I have done few margin trading in polo before and I am quite sure that they will deduct interest based on time you will keep your order open. If you close it as soon as you create it, they will deduct small interest.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
arbee (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:37:19 AM

I rarely use bitfinex but if I'm not mistaken it should be different when you close your deal in 2 minutes than 2 days, have you tried to send a support ticket?
No I haven't. Based on my experience with my polo ticket submission regarding Level 2 verification (which took two months), they have not responded even once. I assume it would be the same for these sort of questions.
arbee (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 09:50:28 AM

I have done few margin trading in polo before and I am quite sure that they will deduct interest based on time you will keep your order open. If you close it as soon as you create it, they will deduct small interest.

Thanks that's what I like to hear. Although if anyone knows "for sure" instead of "quite sure" please respond too. Smiley
tigershark

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 12:45:51 PM

Three weeks after my original post I still have not found the answer.

I use Poloniex and loan bitcoins on that exchange. When you loan coins, you only get the interest for the time that it is loaned out. For example, if I set my Loan offer for 10 days and my loan is accepted, the borrower may only use it for 1 hour so I get my coins back with 1 hour of interest, I don't get interest for 10 days.
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 04:24:54 PM

I don't know how it works on margin trade, because I normally don't do it, but for loans, it does not matter for how long you loan your coins. They charge 15% of your profit with the loan when it ends and you get your coins back.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 2347

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 05:14:00 PM

The minimum interest charge on Bitfinex is 1 hour's worth of interest, if you repay your margin loan in less time than that then you will pay the minimum (unless you take out a margin loan but do not use it in a position, in which case the minimum charge is one day's worth of interest). If you repay your margin loan in over an hour, then you will be charged interest in 1/10,000 of a day increments (I believe their UI only updates once per hour when displaying the interest you owe).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: