Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:36:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with 0 confirmations and a big enough fee or so I thought  (Read 401 times)
bbluecrunk (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 09:51:48 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2017, 10:04:19 PM by bbluecrunk

Hello everyone,
I did a transaction yesterday (18-19 hours ago) and so far 0 confirmations. I had done one previously that day that went through but did take about 4-5 hours. I'm just a little worried and paranoid. I understand a little bit on how everything works, but I'm really slow. A lot of this stuff just goes over my head. I'm using bitcoin qt wallet and I've never upgraded it for I don't know how many years. Don't know if that's the problem, but like I said I previously did a transaction the same day and it went through. If anyone can help me figure out if I have to wait longer or what I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Also sorry if this wasn't the place to post this question. I know it gets asked a bunch of times Cry

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 10:46:21 PM

Are you sure the fee you paid was high enough? Scroll to the middle of this webpage and look at the fee in bold under the heading entitled "Which fee should I use".

https://bitcoinfees.21.co/

Was the fee you paid the same as that website's recommended fee?

What version of bitcoin qt wallet are you running? Very old versions can sometimes create transactions that the network will no longer accept. The rules of the network changed since those old wallet versions were released.
bbluecrunk (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 12:35:59 AM

Thank you for replying. Honestly I don't know if my fee was enough and I really can't figure it out. Like I said most of this stuff goes way over my head. I am using bitcoin qt back from 2013/2014. Very old like I said but I just did a transaction on it that same day and it went through. I'm working on getting them out of there.  I don't know how to figure out how many kilobytes my transaction is. Is it safe to post my transaction number here so someone can check on it?
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8004

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 12:43:35 AM

Thank you for replying. Honestly I don't know if my fee was enough and I really can't figure it out. Like I said most of this stuff goes way over my head. I am using bitcoin qt back from 2013/2014. Very old like I said but I just did a transaction on it that same day and it went through. I'm working on getting them out of there.  I don't know how to figure out how many kilobytes my transaction is. Is it safe to post my transaction number here so someone can check on it?

It's safe. What's your issue with not upgrading?  Why do you repeat what you said in your first post about a very old Bitcoin qt and being too stupid to understand anything?  Do you have a self-deprecation fetish?

bbluecrunk (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 01:09:30 AM

Yes I do unfortunately have a problem with putting myself down a lot. It's a bad habit Sad Is it alright to upgrade my wallet without it being fully synced. I think it would take a very long time to fully sync. When I paste my transaction ID onto a blockchain website it says that it can't be found. Is that a big problem?
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 01:18:12 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2017, 01:41:40 AM by HI-TEC99

Yes I do unfortunately have a problem with putting myself down a lot. It's a bad habit Sad Is it alright to upgrade my wallet without it being fully synced. I think it would take a very long time to fully sync. When I paste my transaction ID onto a blockchain website it says that it can't be found. Is that a big problem?

That probably means your wallet created a type of transaction the network will no longer accept.

Have you backed up your wallet.dat yet because that's the most important thing you need to do to secure your coins.

If you are using windows try using these instructions to back it up.

Click the windows start button, then copy and paste the line of text below into the search box that appears, then press the enter key to open the hidden folder containing your Bitcoin wallet.dat file.

%appdata%\Bitcoin

This is what your search box should look like after you have copied and pasted the line above into it.

Inside the folder that opens there should be a file called wallet that ends with the extension ".dat".

Make a back up of that file.

Afterwards you could use these instructions to use the electrum wallet if you don't want to upgrade your bitcoin qt or wait for it to sync.

If you don't want to wait you can use these instructions for switching to using an electrum wallet. Electrum syncs almost immediately and lets you spend your coins almost immediately. Bitcoin core can take days to sync.

Click file, then receiving addresses. Find the address you sent coins to in the window that opens, right click it, and select copy address. Close the addresses window.

Click help, then debug window.

In the debug window that opens click console.

In the text box at the bottom of the window type

dumpprivkey yourAddress

where yourAddress is the address you sent coins to and copied earlier.

Press your enter key.

The private key for that address should appear in the console window. Copy it.

This is an example private key.

L48toSntMVhC2az4KAQCWscrQGfPbT55yCgzM5cmx9Ao69pTdwrq

Download and install electrum.

https://electrum.org/#download

Import your private key into it using these instructions.

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#can-i-import-private-keys-from-other-bitcoin-clients

Afterwards your coins should be spendable.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: