Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:04:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Segwit opens the door for mining cartels  (Read 1217 times)
Blind Legs Parker

Activity: 2002
Merit: 721

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 09:08:03 AM

The author is Craig Wright.  Wait a minute?!  Isn't that the guy who invented bitcoin?  Isn't that Satoshi?
lol
Maybe.  Afaik Satoshi was always in favor of scaling up the block size as the numbers of transactions increase.  Getting rid of the signature block via Segwit is just "proof by Authority" and doesn't really solve anything since you'll eventually need to scale up the block size anyway as Bitcoin becomes more and more popular.
The network as Satoshi knew it is very different from what it has become. I don't even think he took into account that nodes could be specialized and not do any mining? Otherwise he would have looked for a financial incentive for nodes, which is notably absent now. If nodes were paid for their job their would be no problem with increasing the block size, but because they aren't the security of the network would be greatly put at risk.

Vous pouvez maintenant refermer ce topic et reprendre une activité normale. À ciao bonsoir.
The One
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:05:25 AM

Yes i am aware of that. However it doesn't mean the article is wrong. People are entitled to reform themselves and do good.
Actually, in this case it does. Why do we have to waste everyone's time on a known scammer who has zero credibility?

The point of the article is to be debate and Craig isn't the first person to mention the "anyone can spend" attack.
There is nothing to debate. It has been debunked months prior to the existence of this article. Read my previous posts.

Just because a person in the past had been a scammer.... it does not mean this time round a person could be right. Ignoring a person 100% because of one's past is plainly stupid.

Let's suppose Craig told you your house is on fire... you ignore him... arrive home and whoops, house burnt down.

Anyway, you claim to have debunked it ages ago, but i was more concerned about the "This is one of several hundred attack scenarios which SegWit could open."

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

minime

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 03:06:19 PM

Yes i am aware of that. However it doesn't mean the article is wrong. People are entitled to reform themselves and do good.
Actually, in this case it does. Why do we have to waste everyone's time on a known scammer who has zero credibility?

The point of the article is to be debate and Craig isn't the first person to mention the "anyone can spend" attack.
There is nothing to debate. It has been debunked months prior to the existence of this article. Read my previous posts.

Just because a person in the past had been a scammer.... it does not mean this time round a person could be right. Ignoring a person 100% because of one's past is plainly stupid.

Let's suppose Craig told you your house is on fire... you ignore him... arrive home and whoops, house burnt down.

Anyway, you claim to have debunked it ages ago, but i was more concerned about the "This is one of several hundred attack scenarios which SegWit could open."
ya well he just proved his total incompetence on the topic bitcoin
he discribes a problem which exsits since bitcoin was introduced and than offers a solution to a non exsitent problem....i mean WTF?Huh?

edit: and doesnt he work for a companie which focuses on the blockchain??? he should have known better... just another fagott whos whats to profit
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2017, 10:29:38 AM

Whilst doing this would be somewhat fallacious, not doing it with certain individuals such as C.W. is unreasonable.

I'm absolutely sure that my house would not be in flames if C.W. told me that. Smiley

Would you "be concerned" about a high school kid telling you that there are "several hundred attack scenarios" in something that has been peer reviewed by dozens of engineers? This is pretty much it. C.W. is not competent enough to find a single attack scenario that someone else may have missed. https://twitter.com/i/moments/877046701474721793

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
classicsucks

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 09:02:15 PM

Debunked scam attempt.

Someone even put out a Litecoin $1MM bounty at the time to prove this wrong: https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/6azeu1/1mm_segwit_bounty/

irony, from the thread:

Code:
–]BowlofFrostedFlakes [score hidden] 25 days ago 

There are 3 transactions associated with this address. 2 small transactions and 1 large one for 40,000 LTC.

The large one does NOT appear to be an actual segwit transaction. Only the small one does (https://chainz.cryptoid.info/ltc/tx.dws?e85fab6667028a8902904f4cbd3b0e129d526ceafbf150193109661adc898645.htm)

If you look at the raw transaction data for the 40,000 LTC transaction, there is no parameter named "txinwitness". So the bounty is only 0.99 LTC, not 40,000 LTC.

So the wager is only $20 LOL. Furthermore, Litecoin didn't have much trouble adopting Segwit (even though Segwit was useless for LTC!), Bitcoin has many opponents to Segwit and a much higher incentive for people to hack around with it.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:28:04 PM

After the risk of 51% attack, I've been reading for months that China was taking over BTC with its huge mining farms. Mining cartels, now. I think Craig Wright lacked imagination when he wrote this.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: