Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 11:02:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum 2.8.3 crashes immediately after entering pwd on Windows 10  (Read 567 times)
hjaeresen (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 05:36:25 AM

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: Electrum 2.8.3 (non-portable)
Operating System: Windows 10 pro, 64 bit
System Hardware Specs: Lenovo Thinkpad P50, 32 Gb, Intel i7-6820HQ 2.7GHz
Description of Problem: After a clean install of Electrum 2.8.3 and going through the process of creating a new default_wallet, Electrum crashes. When I restart Electrum, it asks for the password of the default_wallet, and after typing it in, Electrum crashes. The crash is silent (the "Electrum - Install Wizard" where the password is entered just disappears, and the Electrum icon in the windows bar disappears too).
Any Related Addresses: N/A
Any Related Transaction IDs: N/A
Screenshot of the problem: N/A
Log Files from the Bitcoin Client: I can't seem to find any log generated from Electrum, but I might be looking the wrong place - please advise.

zend7

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 07:27:00 AM

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: Electrum 2.8.3 (non-portable)
Operating System: Windows 10 pro, 64 bit
System Hardware Specs: Lenovo Thinkpad P50, 32 Gb, Intel i7-6820HQ 2.7GHz
Description of Problem: After a clean install of Electrum 2.8.3 and going through the process of creating a new default_wallet, Electrum crashes. When I restart Electrum, it asks for the password of the default_wallet, and after typing it in, Electrum crashes. The crash is silent (the "Electrum - Install Wizard" where the password is entered just disappears, and the Electrum icon in the windows bar disappears too).
Any Related Addresses: N/A
Any Related Transaction IDs: N/A
Screenshot of the problem: N/A
Log Files from the Bitcoin Client: I can't seem to find any log generated from Electrum, but I might be looking the wrong place - please advise.

Try reinstalling from the beginning after doing a thorough uninstall. Uninstall Electrum from program files and then go to This PC and type %appdata% in the location bar. Find the Electrum folder and completely delete it. After this try reinstalling Electrum. If the same thing happens you can open an issue on official electrum github.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 08:57:18 AM

There is no need to reinstall. Just delete everything in the electrum data directory save for your wallets (which are in the wallets sub-dir):

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#where-is-my-wallet-file-located

The electrum data directory is one level up from the wallets sub directory.
hjaeresen (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:35:42 AM

I tried a clean uninstall (including removal of Electrum folder) and a reinstall. Same issue.

I then looked through all open issues in Electrum GitHub, and found this:
"Silent crash on Windows7 if path to AppData\Roaming\Electrum contains national characters" (https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/2376)

It appears the cause may be that my user name contains a national character, i.e. the Danish letter "æ" (a+e ligature).

Apparently this causes Electrum to crash silently. I made a comment on the issue - hopefully the bug will be fixed.

Meanwhile, I can run the portable version of Electrum, since this will allow me to start in any folder, not just my home folder.

Thanks for your help.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 03:00:12 AM

I tried a clean uninstall (including removal of Electrum folder) and a reinstall. Same issue.

I then looked through all open issues in Electrum GitHub, and found this:
"Silent crash on Windows7 if path to AppData\Roaming\Electrum contains national characters" (https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/2376)

It appears the cause may be that my user name contains a national character, i.e. the Danish letter "æ" (a+e ligature).

Apparently this causes Electrum to crash silently. I made a comment on the issue - hopefully the bug will be fixed.

Meanwhile, I can run the portable version of Electrum, since this will allow me to start in any folder, not just my home folder.

Thanks for your help.

Interesting bug, but that definitely seems like it is the issue. It would be nice if it was possible to start Electrum in a debug mode or similar that allows outputting errors/crashes to a log file which could be useful for diagnosing issues like this when they appear.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: