Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 11:22:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zcoin v ZenCash  (Read 2799 times)
playingpoodles (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:54:46 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2017, 12:04:54 PM by playingpoodles

Zcoin v ZenCash

Disclosure: I have bought and intend in the future to buy both Zcoin and ZenCash.

For people who are interested in a fungible and private blockchain, like yours truly, Zcoin and ZenCash are two cryptocurrencies on the market that both promise privacy. Zcoin is based on the Zerocoin protocol, originally conceived as a method of introducing privacy into Bitcoin, and follows Bitcoin in many ways such as inflation and number of coins. ZenCash on the other hand follows zkSNARKs, a cutting edge cryptographic protocol.

Zcoin and ZenCash have similarities. For example, both are designed to sever any trail between sender and receiver, so as to create truly private transactions. They both also have the establishment of incentivised nodes backed by holders' staked coins in their roadmaps. They also both have a maximum total supply of 21 million, same as Bitcoin.

The fundamental difference between Zcoin and ZenCash is that whereas Zcoin only hides the trail between sender and recipient, but not the amount sent, ZenCash hides both the sender address, receiver address and amount sent. Hiding the amount of transactions is one of the fundamental innovations of zkSNARKs.

In terms of funding models, both coins have models that incentivise developers to act in ways that maximise the coin's value. For Zcoin 20% of the reward for all blocks mined goes to the developers in the first four years, and thereafter 10% of the reward. ZenCash allocates 88% of the block reward to miners. The remaining 12% is shared 8.5% for the DAO and core team to fund development, outreach, and partnerships, and 3.5% is reserved for secure nodes.

I suppose it remains to be seen which funding model will be more successful in driving community growth and coin value appreciation. The 20% dedicated to developers in Zcoin does not technically have to be spent by them on development - theoretically there would be nothing to stop them just keeping it. In practice of course it's presently in the Zcoin developers' interests to spend on development.

ZenCash reserves 8.5% for DAO and development, including a smaller developers' reward, so clearly there are dedicated funds earmarked to develop and promote ZenCash and the ZenCash community. When I compare the funding models, to me ZenCash is probably more predictable over time. Zcoin developers with their 20% coffer - potentially twice that, if you look at the hack that occurred on Zcoin which will be discussed below - have a huge incentive to pump up the price of Zcoin certainly during the first four years from foundation. Almost certainly they'll use portions of their block reward to fund this.

ZenCash is reserving 8.5% for DAO and development, including smaller developers' share, but this amount is remaining constant over time. This gives ZenCash predictable development funding beyond the four years from foundation time period, after which for Zcoin developers' their share will be cut in half. In practice, I believe that the developers' 20% reward in Zcoin will likely promote price pumps over the early stages of Zcoin's rollout and up to four years, and is more unclear beyond four years. This could be great for short term traders, if they can ride the wave up.

ZenCash with a set-aside consistent total of 8.5% - a portion of which will go to reward developers - may offer better incentives for longer term development. This could lead to greater price stability.

Now I want to discuss a major drawback in each of Zcoin and ZenCash.

To begin with, a few months ago Zcoin was hacked and coins created "out of thin air" to the amount of approximately 20% of the then marketcap of the coin. The evidence I have is only inferential, circumstantial and based on what I think is most likely, not what I think is clearly established. But my conclusion was the Zcoin hack was an inside job. I have posted to Reddit about this here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/6379u9/zcoin_bug_a_deliberate_inside_job

If others do not think the possibility one or more members of the development team of a coin hacking their own coin for profit is a drawback, they are quite entitled to their view - I am not known for my charitableness, and view it as the major drawback with Zcoin.

Now ZenCash's major drawback arises from its design and its major strength, its zkSNARKs protocol. This protocol shields not only sender and recipient addresses, but also amount transferred. This creates challenges in auditing the private coin supply if a major bug were to be discovered. If it were this could lead to a hacking effort creating coins. This theoretical weakness in ZenCash's source code - which derives from Zcash - is unsurprisingly played up by Zcoin developers, who emphasise it in their YouTube videos and elsewhere. An advantage with ZenCash is its source code has undergone expensive and in-depth auditing, particularly on aspects of its code that innovate from Bitcoin's now nine year proven codebase and therefore need auditing http://www.coindesk.com/auditing-zcash-anonymous-blockchain-spent-250k-trial-fire .

Also, there is suggestion from developers of the source code that the claims of a problem with auditability are exaggerated. https://forum.z.cash/t/how-can-the-chain-be-audited-if-it-is-all-encrytped/1626/11

Nonetheless, this is a drawback to ZenCash that I as an investor of ZenCash think is important to be aware of.

Now which of these coins would I buy, and which do I have more confidence in going forward? Actually, at this point I have bought, and most likely will again buy, both. I definitely trust ZenCash's developers more than Zcoin's, but that is because I don't fully trust Zcoin's developers. This is because of the hack. Nonetheless, in the short term, I clearly see how my interests, as a Zcoin holder, and the developers' interests, receiving 20% of the block reward, coincide. In the short term they want the price to rise, I do too, and Zcoin while it has risen substantially has still underperformed the market in the last few months at the time of writing. I see upside scope for Zcoin.

In the case of ZenCash, I view it as a safer longer term proposition. This is because I trust the developers and I believe the block reward sharing model provides appropriate incentive for community development and growth. It is also at present very cheap, and in my view that reduces the potential downside risks.

Of course you are in Crypto so you must make your own decisions based on all the information you can gather from the sources you can find. Good luck.
nhote

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:36:39 PM

thanks for this review, just come across it and found it very useful!
ArdiPrabowo

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:55:48 PM

my opinion zencash still above zcoin
above volume transaction or price, and zcoin only follow succes zencash, after zcash succes zcoin dev create coin with use name zcoin
go4crypto

Activity: 798
Merit: 263

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:36:07 PM

This article is excellent analysis and research. I own both Zencash & Zcoin though more Zencash.
Going by what I've gathered, Zencash tech is similar or better than Zcash so it
is very undervalued. I agree with OP that Zencash is a better bet for long term.
25hashcoin

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 01:09:03 AM

Soon to be 2 of the hottest coins. Do your homework.  Cool

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
25hashcoin

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 01:11:01 PM

Soon to be 2 of the hottest coins. Do your homework.  Cool

Ahem

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
Lenat

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 10:37:01 PM

Thanks a lot glad I'm now comfortably holding ZenCash! Smiley
minersday

Activity: 1484
Merit: 535

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 10:40:26 PM

Zencash is the best one of them, but they are pretty unestable right now, i would not suggest you to invest in any of them because they both are being to volatile at the moment.
I just lost 0.05 bitcoins yesterday because of Zencash, it dropped a lot just in the moment that i bought a bunch of them and this made me lose such that amount of money.
Maybe i regret about that, but i just have learned a new lesson about it, but yes, it is a huge amount of money (more than $300).
zencash is much more better than zcoin, in all the aspects.
bitfools

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 11:36:24 PM

Zcoin v ZenCash

Disclosure: I have bought and intend in the future to buy both Zcoin and ZenCash.

Let me SAY that zencash is my favorite coin to mine, I like the team, and I like the community.

BUT PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE STOP the god-damn LIE that ZEN, or any Z is private, the ONLY private is MONERO, and even that is KNOWN to be hacked by NSA.

The concept of privacy is that NOBODY can know WHO is RICH, but zen while letting u have these 'z' addresses, doesn't mean shit cuz a SMART block-chain parser ( I write them ), can & will put it all back together.

To date in COURT, in all cases of ALL crypto-currency's the FBI/CIA/NSA has been able to figure out who has what, and who bought bad-shit on dark-web and not, there is NO fucking PRIVACY, and BITCOIN is the worse

Court cases prove only MONERO is safe, but its known in the crypto world that MONERO picked 'weak' ECDSA integers for the algo, thus we know that 2**40 type brute-force could break, if somebody reall cared ( like the NSA when they wish ), not important for civil-cases, but say if somebody bought nuclear materials with MONERO, they could&would follow the trail ( there is NO such thing as ZERO-INFORMATION ), as information is THERE by the fact that it exists

Like most things the ONLY thing Z-Coins buy U is protection from idiots, like a lock on your door of your house, it just keeps out the idiots, the cops have master-keys to your house, as well as the lock-smith, same for CRYPTO-WORLD, most coin's ( except monero ) have public companys that reconstruct accounts for a fee for law enforcement

Any ways zen-cash is great, Z-CASH is also great, but I think ZEN has MORE upside as its CAP is low, and price is low, but its a great team, and a great software integration, like their secure-nodes

If I were a young KID, my advice for the GUY writing the next Zen-Coin would be to think about a COIN for CRIMINALS that can't be broken by any government on earth

Today, the best COIN is one that prevents an ex-wife from knowing your net-worth in COURT, the kid who can provide that to guys fucked by gold-digging women will become a billionaire, sorry to be politically incorrect, but if your going to invest, or be in business U MUST CONSIDER REALITY.
bitfools

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 11:40:35 PM

Zencash is the best one of them, but they are pretty unestable right now, i would not suggest you to invest in any of them because they both are being to volatile at the moment.
I just lost 0.05 bitcoins yesterday because of Zencash, it dropped a lot just in the moment that i bought a bunch of them and this made me lose such that amount of money.
Maybe i regret about that, but i just have learned a new lesson about it, but yes, it is a huge amount of money (more than $300).
zencash is much more better than zcoin, in all the aspects.

It's STUPID to BUY COIN, its best to MINE it, cold-store and forget about it, Zen-Cash oscillates and the whales have been fucking it for months, if U bought it you were dumb, if you bought it on a high you were really dumb, if you can't wait, whats the point?

The deal with zen-cash is to mine it and keep it someday it will be $300 ( 10x ) from today, and maybe even higher.

Never BUY COIN, just throwing your money away, and NEVER BUY coin at a high, I know momentum trading the MORONS see something on a rise and jump in, greater-fool theory, all DAY-TRADERS are losers.

Remember the ONLY people making money in trading is the house, if you want to make money OPEN YOUR OWN Exchange, or better yet create your own shit-coin, but NEVER BUY the shit.

The z-coins have been the best to mine for months, and will continue, until the chinese release an asic-gpu miner for equihash, they're working on it, and it will be done and then we'll have to move on to a new algo, lots of GPU clones in the works like low power USB thumb drive GPU miners with 1070 class performance, lots of people working on this shit, nothing is static long

I think BITMAIN is seriously fucked with their "BOX HEATERS" ( that sound like jet engines )  the future will be low-power consumption, high performance, my bet is on arduino class hw that high-school kids can buy for  a few bucks and mine, and create the next coins,
izeblink

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 02:41:02 PM

Thanks for sharing. I prefer ZenCash  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: