Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:48:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I'm switching to mXBT — and why you should too  (Read 24635 times)
dree12 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:24:45 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2013, 03:17:11 AM by dree12

Bitcoin is known by many but owned by few.

Most of my friends know about Bitcoin. There are few exceptions. News coverage recently has been phenomenal.

But I can't say the same about their opinion of Bitcoin. One pointed out, "who would spend hundreds of dollars on that thing?". Another replied, "yeah, the price is way too high".

For perfectly rational human beings, the price is not an important factor. After all, a single bitcoin can be divided into 100000000 units—this is so large a number that the satoshi, worth 0.00000001 BTC, is worth a third that of the lowest physical denomination of currency: the Uzbekistani tiyin.

But rational and human together form an oxymoron. Whereas my friends were easily corrected on the ability to purchase fewer than one bitcoin, the psychological barrier cannot be ignored. People do not consider using something unless they have at least one of them. Nobody buys half a car, or 0.25 houses. We can't eat 0.03 apples, and we would reject a gift of 0.007 trees.

These comparisons obviously do not apply to bitcoins, as they are effectively divisible anywhere. But because Bitcoin is abstract, we tend to compare a bitcoin to something physical. As a result, we balk at not being able to own a single bitcoin.

This also hurts the economy. Most are so accustomed to spending dollars, quarters, etc. that the thought of spending 0.007 BTC is awkward. Even worse, some merchants reject Bitcoin because they feel that 0.05 BTC is unfair compensation for the products they offer.

What if we used mBTC by default? Then merchants would get payed 50 mBTC. The "dollar" store would offer products for 1 mBTC. Et cetera.

For those living in countries with a currency valued at or higher than the US dollar, also recall that most countries have lower-valued currencies. The mBTC, among currencies, would be right in the middle of the pack.

For all these reasons, I will begin to use mBTC. It just makes sense. And I hope we could demonstrate the power of the decentralized system of governance, and band together to do so. I aspire to transact with others only in mBTC by the end of May. And I hope you will too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:46:13 AM

I fully agree on this.

I will add it to my sig.
Let's all do that and try if we can change something!
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:21:32 AM

I agree. Switching to mɃ from now on. I suggest we just call these "millibits," which is easier to say than "millibitcoin".

(I finally figured out how to type the "B with bar" character in OS X Mountain Lion--need to go to System Preferences/Language & Text/Input Sources. Then scroll down and select "Unicode Hex Input" and select "show input menu in menu bar."  Then go to the input menu selector icon in the menu bar, choose Unicode, and hold down the Option/Alt key while typing "0243".)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 01:23:12 AM

I agree. Switching to mɃ from now on. I suggest we just call these "millibits," which is easier to say than "millibitcoin".

Millies have been agreed upon for millibitcoins and Mickeys for microbitcoins.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:28:15 AM

Interesting read, I totally agree with the statements made.
Most of my friends are the same.
pa

Activity: 528

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:32:14 AM

Millies have been agreed upon for millibitcoins and Mickeys for microbitcoins.

I could get used to "millies" and "mickeys". . . although they sound a bit like street names for illicit substances.
Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:34:41 AM

I don't understand what's wrong with "millibitcoin".

Are USians so afraid of the metric system?  Cheesy
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:37:18 AM

Mickeys sound like we are promoting Mickey Mouse.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:42:08 AM

Mickeys sound like we are promoting Mickey Mouse.
- and here I was just thinking it was a racial slur. "Legend has it, their country was so poor, the famine ended once the EU sent them one Mickey, quintupling their GDP." ... I'm not very good with jokes, sometimes.
MADinMelbourne

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:58:45 AM

how do I get the bitcoin symbol for my keypad? 
amincd

Activity: 772

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:10:05 AM

how do I get the bitcoin symbol for my keypad? 

I believe the one used in the OP is a custom font-type that only works in this forum. You can display the Baht symbol, ฿, by inputting unicode 0x0E3F.
wyodude

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:46:16 AM

Good post. I hope it has legs.
BigJohn

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:47:49 AM

I actually believe this is a pretty big problem in the marketing aspect of this thing, and that it's not really a good idea to have the base-unit that everyone uses be 1/21million of the total units ever.

What's funny is that when I explain Bitcoin to people, the first question they have is "So what actually IS a bitcoin", and I have to explain that there's no such thing, that it's just a ledger with entries, and that the base-unit is actually a Satoshi which makes 1 BTC be 100million base-units. Then the reaction to that is usually "Oh so it's like futuristic "credits" from the sci-fi movies", which isn't all that inaccurate really. And people grew up watching all these sci-fi movies where in the future you just have ambiguous "credits", and that's how they relate to it.

If the base-unit was 1-credit (which is just 1 satoshi), then it would solve all these problems. You'd just buy 1million credits for like a dollar, and there would never be a need to adjust any of this stuff. Even if we start calling it mXBT, at some point that's going to become "too expensive" as well. Why not just use the actual base-unit and call the whole thing by its real name?
dree12 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:55:05 AM

I actually believe this is a pretty big problem in the marketing aspect of this thing, and that it's not really a good idea to have the base-unit that everyone uses be 1/21million of the total units ever.

What's funny is that when I explain Bitcoin to people, the first question they have is "So what actually IS a bitcoin", and I have to explain that there's no such thing, that it's just a ledger with entries, and that the base-unit is actually a Satoshi which makes 1 BTC be 100million base-units. Then the reaction to that is usually "Oh so it's like futuristic "credits" from the sci-fi movies", which isn't all that inaccurate really. And people grew up watching all these sci-fi movies where in the future you just have ambiguous "credits", and that's how they relate to it.

If the base-unit was 1-credit (which is just 1 satoshi), then it would solve all these problems. You'd just buy 1million credits for like a dollar, and there would never be a need to adjust any of this stuff. Even if we start calling it mXBT, at some point that's going to become "too expensive" as well. Why not just use the actual base-unit and call the whole thing by its real name?

There are only 2.1 quadrillion "base units" that will exist, ever. This is clearly not enough in a growth situation as you suggest, so the base unit will have to be changed anyways. Better deal with fixed-value units than volatile-value ones.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 03:59:39 AM

100 years ago a quarter would get you a gallon of milk.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

dree12 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:01:39 AM

100 years ago a quarter would get you a gallon of milk.

100 years ago things were sold in pennies.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 04:33:49 AM

The psychology of this goes both ways. People are various surprised, impressed, proud and/or pleased that the value of our unit is bigger than governments' units. Many units and phrasings will be used in different contexts.

Seals chips are now mBTC, as they always have been.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:35:31 AM

People are various surprised, impressed, proud and/or pleased that our unit is bigger than governments units.
Like this:

http://www.meetup.com/Dallas-Bitcoin-User-Meetup/events/117641062/

I been reading about bitcoin quick answer the us dollar has less value than bit coin ? 1 bit coin = to $117.49 usd ? that shit is fucking crazy I want fucking in on this shit lol
FNG

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:35:43 AM

This is what Bitcoin needs IMO.

Most people do not want to buy less than 1. A lot of people would get on board if they felt like they were able to purchase a lot more. It also gets rid of the psychological factor of the previous crash.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:37:03 AM

It really is funny how bad the human brain can function.

Like how terrible altcoin users try to say that their altcoin of choice is better than BTC because it has 4x more coins meaning the coins are cheaper!  It doesn't technically matter because is something costs 100USD it'll cost 100usd worth of BTC or whatever coin.

But yes, it'll help in the long run the sooner we can switch to mBTC/mXBT

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: