Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 08:44:03 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Melted Molex/Sata Adapter Riser...Is My Setup Safe?  (Read 1545 times)
hungrybits (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 02:16:29 PM

Hi All,

I currently use a Lepa 1600G connected to x4 usb riser cards (molex>sata).

x4 gtx 1080 TI Founders Ed.

Just noticed that some of the Molex>sata adapters started to deform from being overheated. I feel like a fire is about to break out every time I leave the house.

Then I read some posts about never using the these adapters. Also, read this thread here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1752689.0

This guy has the same Lepa I do with the same cables. I seem to be getting conflicted info about not using Sata chains but Phil on the thread recommends using it via sata risers.

Thinking of connecting the Molex chain direct from PSU Peripheral to the risers (same one burned in that thread). 2 risers per cable. My 1080 TI is also connected via both 6 pin and 8 pin ( same cable splits).

Can anybody let me know if this is a safe setup?

Or if There's any other alternatives I'd like to know.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 02:43:05 PM

As far as I can see the default power limit for FE 1080 Ti cards is 250 watts but they can be pushed to 300 watts (source).

Now, some numbers on different cables:

A 8 pin connection going straight into the GPU can provide 150 watts and 6-pin can do 75 watts so the card can get 225 watts straight from the PSU.

Molex connectors should handle 11 amps with a 30°C increase so 132 watts. That can be already pretty hot to touch especially if a connection is not that great.

Sata on the other hand can only do 54 watts as it has 3 x 1.5A pins for 12V.

PCI-E x1 can deliver 25 watts and PCI-E x16 can do 75 watts. This is why we use powered risers as the x1 can't provide enough power for the GPU.

With the numbers given it should be clear that you shouldn't put more than 1 card per cable in case you're running them at 100%+ power. And different cards can also have different limits in their BIOS for how much they're allowed to pull through PCI-E.

I used to have melted Sata>Molex cables when I used 2-3 GTX 750 Ti per cable (60 watts each) and those cards had no extra 6-pin. The 6-pin models at the Molex were cold as they could pull the same power through PCI-E.

So I put all cards on different cables which completely eliminated the heat.

Not your keys, not your coins!
poby

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 02:55:42 PM

Running those cards I suggest throw away the sata adaptors and don't use risers with a sata power connection either.  You might get away with it using a lesser powered card (though I still don't recommend it) but really you need to stick with molex and pcie connectors if you using a 250 watt card.
nuanicaj

Activity: 178
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 03:47:59 PM

Use the Molex cable that is on the power supply directly. that should work fine.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 04:01:37 PM

How many connections are you making with each strand? Never use more than two connections per PSU strand and with the power hungry 1080 ti, you probably should only use one.
hungrybits (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 05:01:43 PM

Seems like you guys suggest running it directly with the Molex chain that came with the Lepa.

I was told that the Molex chain it came with isn't standard (it looks exactly like the burnt end on the link pic he posted to the other thread as it came from same Lepa model).

If I run the 3 PSU Molex chain cables, I can only run 3 1080 TI cards if each cable is dedicated to one card. The 4th card would have to be either be connected to a Molex > sata adaptor to the PSU sata chain cable, or share a cable with another riser (2 risers on this cable).

Looked online don't see an extra molex cable sold. Any ideas or solutions?

Also, how would the pcie cable connector look, or where would it plug as it doesn't seem to come with one. I'm rather new at this and have trouble identifying the right cables.

bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 05:05:15 PM

Seems like you guys suggest running it directly with the Molex chain that came with the Lepa.

I was told that the Molex chain it came with isn't standard (it looks exactly like the burnt end on the link pic he posted to the other thread as it came from same Lepa model).

If I run the 3 PSU Molex chain cables, I can only run 3 1080 TI cards if each cable is dedicated to one card. The 4th card would have to be either be connected to a Molex > sata adaptor to the PSU sata chain cable, or share a cable with another riser (2 risers on this cable).

Looked online don't see an extra molex cable sold. Any ideas or solutions?

Also, how would the pcie cable connector look, or where would it plug as it doesn't seem to come with one. I'm rather new at this and have trouble identifying the right cables.

Using 3 cards on 3 separate molex chains and the 4th card with a sata#molex should be fine.

Try it, run them for like half an hour and check if they get hot where the others have burned.

hungrybits (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 05:45:06 PM

Okay. So the 4th card on the riser but "use" the molex>sata adapter, and sata chain to PSU?

Double checking in case it melts again.
poby

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 07:53:42 PM

Okay. So the 4th card on the riser but "use" the molex>sata adapter, and sata chain to PSU?

Strongly advise don't do this.  Sata connectors are designed to safe for up to 4.5 amps. The risers could draw up to 6 amps especially using 1080ti.  Much better to use 2 molex on one string.  Each molex won't have a problem as each can do 11 amps.  The only issue is the wire will get a little warm but not enough to be dangerous.
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 09:03:49 PM

Strongly advise don't do this.  Sata connectors are designed to safe for up to 4.5 amps. The risers could draw up to 6 amps especially using 1080ti.  Much better to use 2 molex on one string.  Each molex won't have a problem as each can do 11 amps.  The only issue is the wire will get a little warm but not enough to be dangerous.

On paper you'r right, but from experience the specs are not very accurate.

I'm confident in saying that Molex can't handle 132 watts without getting very hot or even melting due to poor connectivity and +30°C at 11A is not exactly intenteded for 0-24 use. In a 30°C rig that's already 60°C which is just on the borderline of being too painful to touch for more than a few seconds.

In addiction, in my experience Sata is getting sold short; it can handle way more than 54 watts without even getting slightly warm.

Personally, I would much rather use each Sata port with a Sata to Molex cable at 60W then putting 2 cards on one Molex cable.

CarlOrff

Activity: 826
Merit: 440

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 09:39:53 PM

Just noticed that some of the Molex>sata adapters started to deform from being overheated. I feel like a fire is about to break out every time I leave the house.
No, you're not safe, and you know it !

Bitcoin + privacy respect = BitcoinZ (topic BitcoinZ)
The only decentralized crypto that complements Bitcoin on privacy.
You missed Bitcoin in 2009 ? Do not miss BitcoinZ in 2018 !
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 09:57:45 PM

A PCI-E connector is the type that you plug into your GPU, either 6 pin or 8 pin (usually 8 pin are actually 6+2 on newer model PSUs). Some powered risers have a PCI-E connector instead of molex and if you have enough cables from your PSU it's best to use them to power the riser and GPU both.
poby

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:52:28 PM

On paper you'r right, but from experience the specs are not very accurate.

I'm confident in saying that Molex can't handle 132 watts without getting very hot or even melting due to poor connectivity and +30°C at 11A is not exactly intenteded for 0-24 use. In a 30°C rig that's already 60°C which is just on the borderline of being too painful to touch for more than a few seconds.

In addiction, in my experience Sata is getting sold short; it can handle way more than 54 watts without even getting slightly warm.

Personally, I would much rather use each Sata port with a Sata to Molex cable at 60W then putting 2 cards on one Molex cable.

I agree in as much as I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling 11 amps through a molex even though it is rated for such.  But the max a riser will take is 6.24 amps and at that level, the molex shouldn't get warm at all.  No matter how many connectors being used on a string, the amount of current each connector handles doesn't change.  The main issue with multiple connectors on a string is the wire is carrying more current resulting in increased heating and temperature drop.

I would never put more than the rated current though a sata connector.  Yeah usually they are over engineered to handle a bit more but then you're relying on the quality of manufacture to exceed the spec sufficiently.  Also, the surface area of the 3 12 volt contacts in the sata is so small compared to the molex pin, if one contact fails or gets dirty or something then it will heat up rapidly as it tries to suck the current though the 2 remaining.

A lot of people use sata connectors to power risers and it's rarely a problem - until it is.  I just don't want to take any chances and prefer to just buy a big enough high quality power supply so I don't need to even consider it.
NOLA

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:34:52 PM

Sooooo did i just buy these for no reason and just to put my UPS driver to work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3UVJHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bad purchase?
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:36:03 PM

Sooooo did i just buy these for no reason and just to put my UPS driver to work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3UVJHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bad purchase?

I dont see the problem, just directly hook your power supply molex to the molex on the risers....
poby

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 12:03:38 AM

Bad purchase?

Not at all.  Throw away the included sata adaptors and use the power supply molex connectors.
NOLA

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:44:24 PM

The EVGA850 came with one Perif Cable which is 6 Pin to PSU x Molex with 3 molex on the cable.

Can I put 3 USB risers to that one cable or should I go buy 2 more 6 Pin x Molex cables for the other 2?
hungrybits (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:10:32 PM

Here are my molex chains that came custom from Lepa G 1600w.

http://imgur.com/a/V6hWK

It seems like we have contradicting info on this.

Putting 2 card risers on one molex chain (as shown in imgur), or put a dedicate one cable to a Molex>Sata...

I'm leaning towards putting 2 cards on one molex cable for now. However, would the non-standard molex chain found from the PSU be an issue onto itself?

I also have a second rig that'll be facing this same issue. I have x6 XFX 570 RX and need to decide if putting 2 risers on one cable is safe.

Ideas on safe wattage on those?
hungrybits (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:24:40 PM

The EVGA850 came with one Perif Cable which is 6 Pin to PSU x Molex with 3 molex on the cable.

Can I put 3 USB risers to that one cable or should I go buy 2 more 6 Pin x Molex cables for the other 2?

I'm inclined to say buy more 6 pin x molex cables that are from EVGA. Then again, I'm CLEARLY no expert.  Grin
sid_engel

Activity: 2

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 06:54:41 AM

From what I've seen they can be safe or unsafe. Depends on the manufacturing quality...
https://cryptovoid.net/sata-power-adapters-safe/
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: