Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 03:09:12 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain and (Energy Efficiency) Micro-payments  (Read 441 times)
Najs1 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 02:48:42 PM

Hi all,

I'm working for a United Nations organizations and am looking for content on how blockchain technologies could or have been used for micro-payments for Energy Efficiency measures. Also payments for generated renewable energy (like solar) would be very interesting.
Anyone who knows someone, any content or examples that could be interesting to look at? Any kind of info is very welcome.

So far there are a lot of people talking about "blockchain" in my space but with very little substance. A lot of our projects are not happening due to very high transaction costs of small-scale projects, so blockchain could really have a huge impact.

Cheers,
Najs
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 04:51:20 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2017, 05:23:28 PM by AgentofCoin

So far there are a lot of people talking about "blockchain" in my space but with very little substance. ...

When Satoshi created the "blockchain", it was only designed to facilitate a
decentralized p2p network. The decentralization of the blockchain (like in Bitcoin)
was very important since it prevents regulation or capture from governmental
or other large entities, from stopping or steering the network. The blockchain is not
a simple "ledger that connects blocks(data) with hashing", it was only a means to
circumvent legal regulation and localized points of failure. This then allows for
secondary aspects that were originally desired, such as "censorship resistance"
from those and other entities.

The "blockchain" is not an energy efficient or proper system for micro-payments in
general. It actually is energy intensive when used as designed, and is energy
efficient only when used improperly.The "blockchain" system is actually very bad
at everything, other than what Satoshi designed it to specifically achieve. The
inefficiency is the acceptable cost for the decentralization and unregulatability
that the "blockchain" provides. The "blockchain's" design and purpose was only
to ensure the evasion of control and untrusted prevention of doublespends.

If you do not need "evasion of control and untrusted prevention of doublespends",
then using the "blockchain" to achieve your goals is a waste of time and money.
If you wish to be the organization that runs this "solar/energy/payment platform"
or that the UN wishes to run this platform, then a "blockchain" is likely not needed.
A blockchain would only really be needed if the "solar energy farmers" have to prove
the energy they created amongst themselves, and then the collective network would
self account a token representation of that energy, which is only transferable with
the energy itself. Since that is not possible currently (taging individual electrons),
a blockchain is not efficient or really needed for your purposes (I assume).

Simply, you could just use a normal system like M-Pesa or Paypal. There is no point
or benefit from using a "private, trusted, regulated, and centralized blockchain". If
you just changed the word "blockchain" with "server" in my above sentence, you will
understand what the "blockchain's" actual purpose is. The "blockchain" is more than
a new ledger accounting system, it is a means to facilitate a self sustaining system
without trusted authorities direct intervention.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Najs1 (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 07:44:44 AM

I don't know much about blockchain technology or altcoin topics, but there is an cryptocurrency that promise micro-payment without fees which is called IOTA (https://iota.org/).
Ripple (https://ripple.com/) also promise similar things and have worked with few bank.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll have a look at these two. So far Ethereum was in the center of my interest as I think the smart-contracts could be (in theory) adjusted quite easily to a lot of slightly different projects which so far consumes a lot of resources.
Najs1 (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 08:03:42 AM

The "blockchain" is not an energy efficient or proper system for micro-payments in
general. It actually is energy intensive when used as designed, and is energy
efficient only when used improperly.The "blockchain" system is actually very bad
at everything, other than what Satoshi designed it to specifically achieve. The
inefficiency is the acceptable cost for the decentralization and unregulatability
that the "blockchain" provides. The "blockchain's" design and purpose was only
to ensure the evasion of control and untrusted prevention of doublespends.

If you do not need "evasion of control and untrusted prevention of doublespends",
then using the "blockchain" to achieve your goals is a waste of time and money.
If you wish to be the organization that runs this "solar/energy/payment platform"
or that the UN wishes to run this platform, then a "blockchain" is likely not needed.
A blockchain would only really be needed if the "solar energy farmers" have to prove
the energy they created amongst themselves, and then the collective network would
self account a token representation of that energy, which is only transferable with
the energy itself. Since that is not possible currently (taging individual electrons),
a blockchain is not efficient or really needed for your purposes (I assume).

Simply, you could just use a normal system like M-Pesa or Paypal. There is no point
or benefit from using a "private, trusted, regulated, and centralized blockchain". If
you just changed the word "blockchain" with "server" in my above sentence, you will
understand what the "blockchain's" actual purpose is. The "blockchain" is more than
a new ledger accounting system, it is a means to facilitate a self sustaining system
without trusted authorities direct intervention.

Thank you for your very comprehensive post. I feel, that I didn't really convey my message clearly - I'm actually also not sure what I imagine and this is why I'm here.
Please let me try to elaborate:

I'm not really looking for a cheap payment service in itself, otherwise Paypal etc would be the easiest as you stated.
A project example that I could imagine would be to implement energy efficient technologies in 100,000 buildings in Africa.
Each building that is interested has to sign a smart contract on a blockchain and gets the technology automatically delivered. As part of this contract, a micro-payment is automatically conducted to a specified address and if the payment is not received in time, the new technology stops working until it receives the correct payment amount again.
So it's not only about the payment but includes several automated steps which reduces the resources spend significantly. The automated signature and implementation of the contract is important. And the link of payments and technology functionality is also important as an enforcement mechanism.

Is this something that could be done and is realistic on a blockchain? I understand that this is what you mean with "a self sustaining system"?
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:53:42 AM

He already answered. It is not possible with bitcoin.
Please stop talking about 'a blockchain' and 'smart contracts'. This is marketing speak from scammers (ethereum/ripple/etc) and you believe it at your peril. Come back in 5 years and that will be proven.
there's only one blockchain that is safe. you can make the odd contract on it if you're in with deedbot.org, but not 100,000, and I doubt they'd be interested

ranreichman

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2017, 11:01:52 AM

Please stop talking about 'a blockchain' and 'smart contracts'. This is marketing speak from scammers (ethereum/ripple/etc) and you believe it at your peril. Come back in 5 years and that will be proven.
there's only one blockchain that is safe. you can make the odd contract on it if you're in with deedbot.org, but not 100,000, and I doubt they'd be interested

Like written above, Bitcoin simply isn't for micro-payments. Currently there isn't a good international micro-payment system, on blockchain or otherwise. You can use PayPal and stuff like that but they tend to have their own problems. Hopefully, blockchain will eventually provide the tech to do something like that (Lightning Network?) but not today.

matuson

Activity: 420
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 11:19:38 AM

Why only the blockchain? I have a Xapo wallet and still had no problems. I do not advocate that all bitcoins stored in one place, even if the purse seems to be more reliable than others. Long-term storage of bitcoin is always risky, but it can't be changed.
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 11:37:28 AM

Why only the blockchain? I have a Xapo wallet and still had no problems. I do not advocate that all bitcoins stored in one place, even if the purse seems to be more reliable than others. Long-term storage of bitcoin is always risky, but it can't be changed.
not talking about blockchain the shockingly bad web wallet, or any wallets for that matter. still, your probable feigned confusion earned you a few bob, so that's just great

AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 07:16:13 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2017, 06:03:35 AM by AgentofCoin

Thank you for your very comprehensive post. I feel, that I didn't really convey my message clearly - I'm actually also not sure what I imagine and this is why I'm here.
Please let me try to elaborate:

I'm not really looking for a cheap payment service in itself, otherwise Paypal etc would be the easiest as you stated.
A project example that I could imagine would be to implement energy efficient technologies in 100,000 buildings in Africa.
Each building that is interested has to sign a smart contract on a blockchain and gets the technology automatically delivered.
As part of this contract, a micro-payment is automatically conducted to a specified address and if the payment is not received in time, the new technology stops working until it receives the correct payment amount again. So it's not only about the payment but includes several automated steps which reduces the resources spend significantly. The automated signature and implementation of the contract is important. And the link of payments and technology functionality is also important as an enforcement mechanism.

Is this something that could be done and is realistic on a blockchain? I understand that this is what you mean with "a self sustaining system"?

Yes, this is very possible with a "blockchain" with smart contracting. But, it is also possible
without a "blockchain". So the question is really about using an altcoin that already exists
and be subject to that, or create your own "ledger with contracting abilities" that your
business or the UN will maintain, in all aspects, in their own servers.

The reason why I originally answered your question the way I did was that as a
business, you would need to decide if you are willing to outsource all the backbone aspects
of your energy efficient business to an altcoin blockchain (Like Ethereum) that would
maintain and provide a majority of what you are looking for. The issue isn't so much about
whether a "blockchain" can provide what you are looking for, it is whether you wish to rely
only upon it and whether you really need what it was originally designed to provide.

Also, there are many complex question and scenarios that need to be answered to determine
what type of "blockchain like" system you would need. For example, will you be able to make
edits to the data in your "blockchain"? Will you need a master key backdoor to the "blockchain"
so you can turn on electricity for some customers, like hospitals, even though they did not make
their payments on time? Will you require these customer buy your own token, a currently
known and widely used token (bitcoin or altcoin), or use a regulated payment processor? And
so on and so forth. There are many questions that need to be determined first to prevent
issues later.

You need to keep in mind that if you use an altcoin blockchain, you will and your customers
will be subject to any issues/bugs/failures/rollbacks/attacks that could occur with that
blockchain and its token. In this sense, you have outsourced your security/finances/etc to an
outside unregulated entity, but any liabilities your business may incur will be attributed to you
(unless you than individually sue the developers of that altcoin for some failure, which in some
specific circumstances, is essentially impossible or too complex to bother with). Point is, there
are many things the "blockchain" provides for "near free" (not really near free, but for most
laypeople, it seems to be) but it comes at costs that are not fully apparent.

The cost saving or cheaper aspects of using a "blockchain" is an illusion. In fact, it is very
expensive. What most do not understand is that the costs of those "cheap transactions"
are actually distributed both throughout the node network and applied directly into the
token itself (besides production costs). The secret was, as the token increases in value,
it is actually a representation of the expenses and burden on the system, being applied
directly into the token itself. So, when people want to use a "blockchain" since it is
"cheaper", in reality they need all parts of Satoshi's system to actually be sustainable
and secure (miners, blockchain, and token). As the expense of the "blockchain"
increases over time, so does the token's growth in "value/expense". So, in theory,
"blockchains" are only cheaper as long as the customer base increases beyond the token's
accumulated expense. (As a side, IMO if you can mitigate or slow those expenses, you
will not need unlimited customers into the future (ponzi) and cause premature system
failure. The system should always self balance and not fall into ponzi status as long as
divisibility of the token is infinite.)

When I said a "self sustaining system" I am actually referring to something much more
complex. The "blockchain" is only a small part of the whole system that Satoshi created.
For a simplistic breakdown, the "Miners" build the "blockchain", the "blockchain" issues
and records the "tokens", the "tokens" are traded for "value" either P2P or on exchanges,
the "value" incentivizes the "Miners", and than it repeats over again. This whole system
is a self sustaining system that reinforces security and other interesting things. The
"blockchain" is only the part that facilitates this payment system in a decentralized and
individually provable way. In theory, if you changed out the "blockchain" part with a
single or few servers, it would still work, but would be centralized and subject to
governmental regulations.

So, is it possible to use a "blockchain" to facilitate your example, the simple answer is yes.
The important question is whether you wish to outsource and be dependent upon an altcoin
or build your own system, which will when completed, be no different than what people
used before the "blockchain" was invented.

edit: typos and repositioned paragraphs

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: