Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:20:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: All Miners should be aware of new Latifundial exploiters cast.  (Read 919 times)
jnada (OP)

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:32:59 AM

Welcome everyone to discussion  in following topic

" being as a Miner for last few days I found myself in front of a question:

Are you aware of fact that you lending/borrowing power of your processor to someone who you:

1st: don't know personally this person/group who are willing give you "as promise" few BTC within initial period of [AAN]
2nd: don't know what data will be processed on your  asic/fpga/gpu
3rd: how much they will earn giving you finally bill for electricty or hardware (fault event as well)  cost's?

Considering an old social order based on rules (Master and Slave) described quite good by Hegel I'm inviting to discussion.

NEM                                        NEM                                          NEM                            launch on 22nd November 2014 !                                          TAQDPC-BT35MC-YAWTKQ-OFEZOS-CMBKHM-F5Q3L6-YEYL

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 12:36:07 AM

So what you're saying is, run p2pool yourself, don't use someone else's copy (or software they run) ?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
MrWizard

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:38:54 AM

Latifundial?  That's not even a word. 

"I walked into the room dripping in Bitcoins.  Yea dripping in Bitcoins."
(BTC) 168DCCeGmDy3xTWRimLVhvKtK3yEWbpsSg     (LTC) LbYS8VFqFSU7B9bfaHD11seQMtrtYEKpLe
(BBQ) bNVZErvwLzpEG7H3kt1fycWspzRQB1MJzL
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 12:39:40 AM

Its a fundial used for measuring latitude.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
to3m

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:40:08 AM

Erm... maybe?

If I've understood:

1. This is an issue, but by reading the forums you can usually figure out who might be a scammer or not.

2. You can check the code yourself to see what the miner software does - it doesn't do much that's exploitable. Because of the way the pools work (as I understand it...), it's to the pool's advantage to feed the miner valid data.

3. I think this relates to point 1, in that you have to pick carefully and then assume they're as trustworthy as you hope when you estimate your likely profit. As with any time you're trying to turn a profit, your costs (electricity, hardware, repairs, etc.) just have to be included in your calculations.

--Tom
jnada (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:42:26 AM

So what you're saying is, run p2pool yourself, don't use someone else's copy (or software they run) ?

-MarkM-

No, MarkM

I meant something else : even if you start mining solo or in pool you meet this questions sooner or later...
If I missed some point in your question, please explain.

(as far I understand running a p2pool by myself means : create your own cryptocoin or trust others)
thanks

and at the end you will always ask question to yourself: I'm Master or Slave?

NEM                                        NEM                                          NEM                            launch on 22nd November 2014 !                                          TAQDPC-BT35MC-YAWTKQ-OFEZOS-CMBKHM-F5Q3L6-YEYL
jnada (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:46:21 AM

-MarkM-

Smiley

I just made my "quick cooking of Latyfundia word" with need to Incept this word to English...

jnada (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:56:59 AM

Erm... maybe?

If I've understood:

1. This is an issue, but by reading the forums you can usually figure out who might be a scammer or not.

2. You can check the code yourself to see what the miner software does - it doesn't do much that's exploitable. Because of the way the pools work (as I understand it...), it's to the pool's advantage to feed the miner valid data.

3. I think this relates to point 1, in that you have to pick carefully and then assume they're as trustworthy as you hope when you estimate your likely profit. As with any time you're trying to turn a profit, your costs (electricity, hardware, repairs, etc.) just have to be included in your calculations.

--Tom

Thanks Tom
for your answer

But I mean something else

IE someone is creating new currency where each key will be generated according to his need:
means: each key is a bit of code that should be processed in order to find answer for asked question.

Considering last growth of alter currencies, asking myself question : Is this possible that someone is using our greed in order to use power of our processors for their needs and our satisfaction?

Number6

Activity: 490
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:14:05 AM

Latifundial?  That's not even a word.  

-MarkM-

Actually it is more like latifundia or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latifundium

OP makes a interesting argument, but most of us are speculators and will drop an alt coin (at least quit mining it) as soon as we lose profitability. So while interesting, I do not think it is a fair comparison, as most of us are free to go where the wind takes us.

BTC:   18jdvLeM6r943eUY4DEC5B9cQZPuDyg4Zn     LTC:   LeBh9akQ3RwxwpUU6pJQ9YGs9PrC1Zc9BK
Evolekam

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:07:19 AM

I love how half the discussion here is about Latifundial.

And the problem with this is, the miner is taking all risk of the business considering hardware expenses as well as electricity.
Number6

Activity: 490
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:19:08 AM

I love how half the discussion here is about Latifundial.

And the problem with this is, the miner is taking all risk of the business considering hardware expenses as well as electricity.

Only before paying off the hardware, and assuming miners are keeping an eye on profitability to ensure they are covering their electric costs as well as making a profit.

Assuming most people start with a machine they already own, their only risk is recovering the initial electrical expenses. Once they have successfully mined their first coin and cashed out and paying off their electric bill, the risk becomes more and more minimal as their profits should act a buffer should a coin's value drop before they can cash out on future payments.

Also, many people here get free electricity, such as University students, etc. so the risk is even less, maybe if you want to count wear and tear on equipment, but still pretty minimal.

BTC:   18jdvLeM6r943eUY4DEC5B9cQZPuDyg4Zn     LTC:   LeBh9akQ3RwxwpUU6pJQ9YGs9PrC1Zc9BK
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: