Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 03:51:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFTC Regulating Bitcoin, Totally sell on this news guys.  (Read 5464 times)
BitcoinAshley (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:11:44 AM

The US Regulatory Vice Closes on Bitcoin

Quote from: ZeroHedge
Just six weeks after the US Treasury decided enough-was-enough with this upstart non-fiat, non-controlled-by-TPTB currency (and applied money-laundering reglations), US financial regulators are now looking for supervisory control over Bitcoin. As The FT reports, CFTC's Bart Chilton notes "it's not monopoly money - real people have real risk in these instruments," and  that regulating the controversial cyber-currency "is sure something [CFTC] needs to explore." Chilton's remit to regulate this "shadow currency" is predicated on it becoming a basis for derivative contracts as opposed to purely transactional (akin to the monitoring of physical oil transactions that can influence crude futures.) Since the Treasury's March decision, at least three North American companies have had their accounts seized by the banks but while this attempt to control the virtual currency follows the ECB's 'ponzi attack' last year, the 'regulators' may note that, "even if US regulations make it hard for Bitcoin businesses to operate in the US, that doesn’t mean it will make it difficult for people to use Bitcoin as a currency in the US. Bitcoin is a world currency."

But, of course, regulation will destroy bitcoin, so sell all your coins now, because in the end, the Banksters will always win; there is no way to defeat them. That's how it goes, right? Because, you know "if I can't go down to teh gas station, fill up my tank, and pay in BTC, it will never be anything other than a bubble." Right. It couldn't POSSIBLY be a revolutionary new protocol that will have a hand in defeating the evil banksters and putting monetary power back in the hands of the people. It has to be regulated to be accepted!

So, since [ (a) regulation, and (b) throwing government money at a problem to solve it ] drive prices WAY DOWN (hence bear argument that regulation will cause bitcoin to crash and die), let's look at some examples of markets where throwing government money at / regulating a problem has caused prices to go WAY DOWN.

Drugs. Back in the 1950s, they were so much more expensive. A bag of weed cost like $250 and a bag of heroin ran you $2500. Now, you can get both on the street corner for $20 and $10 respectively. Thanks to government regulation of individuals and businesses, as well as throwing money at the problem (law enforcement $$ and school education $$, etc.) drug prices have gone WAY DOWN and hardly anybody uses them, and the same thing will happen to Bitcoin if it is regulated.

College. A great example of how throwing gov't money at something causes prices to go down. College used to be real expensive - in the 50s, a 4-year degree at a good school cost something in the range of $120,000. Now, you can get a degree at a university or a private school for only $20,000, much like in European countries. This is thanks to federally-guaranteed student loans driving DOWN the price of education and now every single poor low-income person in America can afford to go to college.

Almonds. In California, the Almond Board lobbied the legislature to pass regulation requiring all almond growers to purchase $500,000 pasteurization machines. Naturally, this caused all small almond growers to instantly go out of business. Because we live in Bizarro-world, and everything is the opposite of what it seems, the requirement of $500,000 along with reducing competition actually caused almond prices to go WAY DOWN, and so the exact same thing will happen to Bitcoin.

P2P Filesharing This has nothing to do with prices, but rather, adoption. As we all know, once the Government got wind of P2P torrent filesharing, they began regulation and prosecution, going after individuals who downloaded torrents as well as websites who enabled users to download torrents of illegal material. The effect of that now is that absolutely no body in the entire world is able to use BitTorrent software; in fact, it is absolutely not a widespread practice to hop on the net, find a torrent in 2 seconds, and download a movie illegally, because the government made that impossible due to regulation, and the exact same thing will happen to ButtCon.

TL;DR: So, I've given you 3 absolutely IRREFUTABLE examples of how government regulation, interference, and "throwing government money at a problem" always, 100% of the time, causes prices to go WAY DOWN.
Bitcoin is going to CRASH guys, due to regulation; tell me your thoughts and try to convince me not to sell ALL of my coins in the next 24 hours.
Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:13:58 AM

Bitcoin Report Volume 47 (CFTC FUD)

humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:15:01 AM

Words

Drug prices went down because of supply. Bitcoin is a finite, non expandable supply.

College prices went way UP. Tuition costs go up EVERY YEAR. I've been in school seven years and every year tuition goes up.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:16:20 AM

That college example just destroyed your credibility. Are you living under a rock? Gov't has created a HUGE bubble in higher education finance. Or were you being facetious?

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=76
http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/24/pf/college/public-college-tuition/index.html

Elon Krusky
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:17:05 AM

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
Hailo

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:19:46 AM

Words

Drug prices went down because of supply. Bitcoin is a finite, non expandable supply.

College prices went way UP. Tuition costs go up EVERY YEAR. I've been in school seven years and every year tuition goes up.

Exactly. drugs is a BILLION dollar or maybe even TRILLION dollar industry. education cost have been INCREASING every year. AND P2P filesharing is widespread despite government regulation my friend. google piratebay as a start.

EDIT:
That college example just destroyed your credibility. Are you living under a rock? Gov't has created a HUGE bubble in higher education finance. Or were you being facetious?

Poe's law!

She is being extremely sarcastic. Bittorent example clearly gives it away.

well if she was indeed trying to be sarcastic that was a lot of effort -.-
DavidBAL

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

Always riding the Bull...

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 01:19:50 AM

lol you all can't tell each of those points were meant to be sarcastic? Duh? Guess you missed the point of his (her?) entire post...

I am an investor, entrepreneur, and CEO @BTC Inc http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-bailey/22/641/b53 ...
Bitrated user: davidbtcmedia.
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:20:06 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2013, 01:50:28 AM by Birdy

If you didn't get the sarcasm by skimming over the text you are doing something wrong.
BitcoinAshley (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:22:07 AM

My freakin God guys, is it not obvious that my entire post was sarcastic?  Grin Grin Grin BitTorrent example was a dead giveaway.

1) Yes, college costs have gone UP, due to federally guaranteed money pit

2) Drugs have gone UP too, it is much more expensive to grow and ship drugs when there are federal agents hunting you down every step of the market from production to end user. 

BTW, if anyone tries to seriously debate this using the prior attempts at cryptocurrencies which were crushed by federal intervention, it is important to note that those were centralized so that would be a classic case of "apples and oranges." We see the long, drawn-out, perpetually unsuccessful attempt to curb illegal torrent downloads - that is because it is a decentralized system (of course, the torrent file hosts are weak points in the same way that exchanges are.)

Heavily regulating exchanges could be seen as a centralized "weak point" but then again, prohibition involved shutting down wineries, breweries and distillers, but the "common man" still managed to get drunk on Friday nights...
Crazy

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:24:55 AM

Damn trolls.

Elon Krusky
Birdy

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:27:07 AM

Damn trolls.
Don't blame BitcoinAshley, it was so obvious that the only one to blame is yourself.
randrace

Activity: 329

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:29:46 AM

Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:33:10 AM

Scarecrow!
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:35:36 AM

what's sarcasm Huh??

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Crazy

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:39:54 AM

Don't blame BitcoinAshley, it was so obvious that the only one to blame is yourself.
Would have been if I actually RTFOP.

Elon Krusky
Birdy

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:46:51 AM

Would have been if I actually RTFOP.

And that's the problem. Read and answer then. Not catch a single keyword and throw in your opinion.
Crazy

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:48:27 AM

And that's the problem. Read and answer then. Not catch a single keyword and throw in your opinion.
Or just hash it out in the thread like I did and continue to skim pages of text. Internet is serious business though, I know.

Poe's law!
Cool, learned something new. Hadn't heard of that.

Elon Krusky
squidface

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:01:04 AM

I don't buy the drugs argument.

Drugs are more expensive as as a result of government intervention because the demand for them hasn't gone down, but supply has. Their utility is the same as it always was.

Bitcoin's utility goes down the more difficult it is to obtain and use as a result of government intervention. So demand drops as well as supply (in the US at least). The ultimate effect on price is thus difficult to determine, and will be a result of the form any intervention takes, and the opportunities to use it cross border that remain.

Different story, entirely.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:22:18 AM

Drugs are more expensive as as a result of government intervention because the demand for them hasn't gone down, but supply has. Their utility is the same as it always was.

Bitcoin's utility goes down the more difficult it is to obtain and use as a result of government intervention. So demand drops as well as supply (in the US at least). The ultimate effect on price is thus difficult to determine, and will be a result of the form any intervention takes, and the opportunities to use it cross border that remain.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:26:10 AM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Indeed.

Squidface, you have missed the point entirely -- NO AMOUNT OF REGULATION / CONTROL CAN INHIBIT, EVEN IN PRINCIPLE, THE ACTIONS OF A DECENTRALIZED OPERATION.

I would say sorry for yelling but... I'm a metal head.  \m/  RIP, Jeff Hanneman.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: