Bitcoin Forum
June 05, 2024, 01:08:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: rx 480 vs rx 580, what is the best for mining?  (Read 6972 times)
BitReum (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:13:30 PM

Hi

rx 480 vs rx 480 what is the best for mining? as the title.. xD thanks
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:00:32 PM

You might want to reconsider.

The RX lineup will be getting slower and slower every 4.5 days because of DAG
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:28:24 PM

Hash rate is almost identical. However IMO, the RX 580 is a better card than the RX 480. Most have better cooling and the power draw issues from the early RX 480's was also addressed. In regards to the DAG epoch change. My reported hash for seven cards went from 202.7 to 202.2 MH/s. Even if the hash were to drop by 10% over the next 6 months, that can easily be addressed by adding another RX 570 4 GB card for ~$200. At that price point and the much better dual mining performance over Nvidia cards, still makes the AMD RX cards easily the best choice for ETH.
Tmdz

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:42:00 PM

Hash rate is almost identical. However IMO, the RX 580 is a better card than the RX 480. Most have better cooling and the power draw issues from the early RX 480's was also addressed. In regards to the DAG epoch change. My reported hash for seven cards went from 202.7 to 202.2 MH/s. Even if the hash were to drop by 10% over the next 6 months, that can easily be addressed by adding another RX 570 4 GB card for ~$200. At that price point and the much better dual mining performance over Nvidia cards, still makes the AMD RX cards easily the best choice for ETH.

The problem is you will want to switch them out 4-6 months in the future or mine something else if it is even profitable, because they will become too slow eventually.

So either get some gtx 1060/1070 1080s or wait on the incoming flood of cheap rx cards as people panic.  But Nvidia is planning on releasing a mining gpu so the market could come completely saturated with gpus in the coming months.  New people buying old rx cards plus farms switching over to mining gpu = perfect storm.

Proceed with caution
Vann

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:51:47 PM

The problem is you will want to switch them out 4-6 months in the future or mine something else if it is even profitable, because they will become too slow eventually.

So either get some gtx 1060/1070 1080s or wait on the incoming flood of cheap rx cards as people panic.  But Nvidia is planning on releasing a mining gpu so the market could come completely saturated with gpus in the coming months.  New people buying old rx cards plus farms switching over to mining gpu = perfect storm.

Proceed with caution

Why would I want to sell my RX cards? People are buying Nvidia 1060's now for $230 that mine ETH at ~23 MH/s and don't have anywhere near the dual mining performance of the RX 570 4 GB for $200. The Nvidia mining GPU's are based on the 1060's from what I have read. I would expect at best a 10-15% improvement over the regular 1060.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:58:08 PM

Nobody knows what the difficulty and price of ETH will be in 6 months. So its hard to say if they are worth the switch to NVIDIA in the mid-term.

Tmdz

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 04:54:00 AM

So either get some gtx 1060/1070 1080s or wait on the incoming flood of cheap rx cards as people panic.  But Nvidia is planning on releasing a mining gpu so the market could come completely saturated with gpus in the coming months.  New people buying old rx cards plus farms switching over to mining gpu = perfect storm.

Proceed with caution

Why would I want to sell my RX cards? People are buying Nvidia 1060's now for $230 that mine ETH at ~23 MH/s and don't have anywhere near the dual mining performance of the RX 570 4 GB for $200. The Nvidia mining GPU's are based on the 1060's from what I have read. I would expect at best a 10-15% improvement over the regular 1060.

Nvidia mining gpu will run eth at 25mh so that will beat out amd fairly early on, even the 1060 will out run amd in eth after a few months.

We could see a situation were mid range gpus do not perform strong enough to give profit.  In the likely future a huge amount of mid range amd gpus could switch from eth (highest reward coin) to other coins and profits will shrink.  So you will need to upgrade to vega or at least gtx 1070 to mine at a hash high enough to remain competitive.  It is possible that the high ticket price is what will be required to have a decent margin and gain you access to eth rewards that could in theory be superior to other coins depending on vega performance.

It is quite a way off but something to think about down the road with your investment.
Vann

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 06:58:29 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2017, 01:19:42 PM by Vann

So either get some gtx 1060/1070 1080s or wait on the incoming flood of cheap rx cards as people panic.  But Nvidia is planning on releasing a mining gpu so the market could come completely saturated with gpus in the coming months.  New people buying old rx cards plus farms switching over to mining gpu = perfect storm.

Proceed with caution

Nvidia mining gpu will run eth at 25mh so that will beat out amd fairly early on, even the 1060 will out run amd in eth after a few months.

We could see a situation were mid range gpus do not perform strong enough to give profit.  In the likely future a huge amount of mid range amd gpus could switch from eth (highest reward coin) to other coins and profits will shrink.  So you will need to upgrade to vega or at least gtx 1070 to mine at a hash high enough to remain competitive.  It is possible that the high ticket price is what will be required to have a decent margin and gain you access to eth rewards that could in theory be superior to other coins depending on vega performance.

It is quite a way off but something to think about down the road with your investment.

The Claymore epoch benchmark figures are just an estimate and largley overstated. In my own test with a five card RX 480/580 8GB and 570 4GB rig. The benchmark at epoch 129 for the five cards was ~143.3 MH/s, at epoch 130 the benchmark was ~142.5 MH/s. The actual current dual mining hash is ~144.1 MH/s dual mining with DCR. Only a fool would sell his RX cards to buy overpriced Nvidia cards to mine ETH based on benchmarks. As I said in my first post even a 10% drop in the RX cards hash in 6 months can be offset by addding a single $200 RX 570 4 GB card.

BitReum (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 03:27:52 PM

So to summarize, what is the best? The rx 580? The TDP is identical for both cards if I'm not mistaken: 150w.

What is DAG and why will create problem for cards RX AMD?

And Another Question: 1060 vs 480/580 what is the best for mining?
miningchamp93

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 10:54:34 AM

580 is better then 480 - it is essentially same card but with faster clocks.
Difference between those two 580 is mainly cooling - AORUS has better.
rx 580 and gtx 1060 6gb are cards on the same level - depending on game, one is faster or another, but the difference is not bigger then few FPS.

Here us the link to compare both

https://miningchamp.com/gpus/266/Sapphire-Radeon-RX-580-hashrate
https://miningchamp.com/gpus/23/Sapphire-Radeon-Rx-480-hashrate
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: