Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 03:16:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Video Game Consoles as Miners?  (Read 525 times)
Zayo (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:32:40 AM

Hello there. First time Noob posting here. I have been extremely interested in getting my feet even more wet in Bitcoin and have been doing a MASS of research as of late. One thing that interested me was the mining aspect and the how it is GPU and not CPU based. My question is this: Is there a way to allow a video game console, old or new, to become a contributing factor in the mining process by becoming a miner or slave itself? I've seen the posts about a Nintendo doing this, and some speculation of an X-Box 360 to do the same. I myself am particularly interested in allowing my Sega Dreamcasts to become bitcoin miners or slaves. I remember there being so much potential on this machine and a VERY high vulnerability to hacks because it was a Windows-based system (this ultimately led to DCs downfall as well). With that being said IS there a way to pull this off? And if so, who do I need to talk to try and make it happen. I understand It may be a fruitless venture, but it sounds like an AWESOME project to partake in. THANKS!!!
AzureEngineer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:45:33 AM

Not sure how good a Dreamcast would be at mining (I'm going to guess not very good at all). Xbox360's and PS3's have major locks on their hardware. Even back in the day when PS3s could have Linux loaded on them, a visor kept you from using the CPU/GPU to its full potential. I don't think the headache necessary to operate consoles on a mining level is worth the hashrate per joule a console would give you.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: