Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:30:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Was there a time gpu mining was not profitable?  (Read 1294 times)
Dayumminer (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 03:32:12 AM

sorry for the newb question.correct me if im wrong but i believe early this year frpm jan to feb 2017 All altcoins was in  net loss until only recently its became very profitable.
Any veteran miners care to share prior to 2017 what was profitability like?
How do u deal with downturn? 1)Mine undervalued coins at loss 2)shutdown and wait 3) sell your rigs?
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xleejohnx

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 04:15:39 AM

sorry for the newb question.correct me if im wrong but i believe early this year frpm jan to feb 2017 All altcoins was in  net loss until only recently its became very profitable.
Any veteran miners care to share prior to 2017 what was profitability like?
How do u deal with downturn? 1)Mine undervalued coins at loss 2)shutdown and wait 3) sell your rigs?

It was still profitable but no where near as much as it is now
But even in downtime it's still worth mining as the coin you mine can shoot back up at any point in time

As I see a super coin as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions. ~philipma1957
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 04:25:35 AM

Mining is rarely as profitable as it is today. Last time it was this profitable was in Fall of 2013, and only last about 5 months.

In the Fall of 2014, I think I had GPUs that made $0.25/day per GPU.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
poby

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 05:30:41 AM

Profitability will plummet to cents per day by the end of this year.  Most probably in the next 3 months but definitely don't expect to make much in 2018
KougarLOB

Activity: 136
Merit: 16

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 05:41:02 AM

Was there a time gpu mining was not profitable?

1ER7JwEjpjQfm4qaTxy6EaNdNy8MqzP1pt  Smiley
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 05:48:28 AM

Bitcoin was invented in 2009.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
KougarLOB

Activity: 136
Merit: 16

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 05:55:06 AM

Bitcoin was invented in 2009.

Exactly.

1ER7JwEjpjQfm4qaTxy6EaNdNy8MqzP1pt  Smiley
harihebat

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2017, 06:16:29 AM

Grin Grin Grin   good one
insurgus

Activity: 20

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 06:28:05 AM

Profitability will plummet to cents per day by the end of this year.  Most probably in the next 3 months but definitely don't expect to make much in 2018

said everyone every week.
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 07:23:34 AM

Profitability will plummet to cents per day by the end of this year.  Most probably in the next 3 months but definitely don't expect to make much in 2018

said everyone every week.

Like it did after litecoin, and end of last year for eth mining.

History repeats itself.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 08:50:37 AM

mid-to-late 2014, after Litecoin went ASIC and existing GPU rigs overloaded X11, profitability got quite low - and UNprofitable unless you had VERY CHEAP electric.
ETH showed up, got GPU mineable, and GPU mining got much more profitable again.

More or less.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
spyshagg

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:06:16 AM

When the daily profits turn to daily losses, the tactic is to mine the lowest difficulty coin which holds the most market growth potential.  

The miners who jumped at the very unknown ETH one year ago with 5 GPU's, barely made any profits back then. But, if they holded all the coins they mined up until today, in retrospective their monthly profits were 6500$ per month for the last 10 months.  If they mined eth since 2015, well, they are close to being millionaires by now (or jumping off bridges if they sold at 10$).

Its luck and pure chance. But the risk is low and the potential is huge.

This only applies if you already have the rigs paid many times over. If you have to buy them now, its better to spend the money on the coins directly.
Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:08:02 AM

late 2014 was not very profitable, up to early 2015, when bitcoin tanked so much and everyone was scared to ivnest in bitcoin and crypto, crypto was declared dead and you were only able to mine$50 a day with a gpu, was a very bad moment for mining

poby

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:09:58 AM

December, 2017
lexele

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 11:43:31 AM

December, 2017
yup but at least in winter it was free heating :-D
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 03:50:04 PM

The December 2017 reference is to the "current" planned timeframe for ETH to *start* transitioning to PoS from PoW.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
dbc23

Activity: 1036
Merit: 311

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 03:58:16 PM

YES, if you're talking daily NET profitability after electricity and hardware cost.  HOWEVER, I'm quite jealous of those rare few who may have been mining Ethereum and other big players today from 2014 to 2017 at a net loss AT THE TIME.  If you'd mined ETH during that time, AND held the proceeds, it would have ultimately been incredibly profitable.

That said, without some sort of major market recession in the near future, we're much more likely to see a loss in profitability due to rising difficulty rather than token valuation, which will be an entirely different set of circumstances and may lead to an ongoing low level profitability but, in the end, no more golden age for mining.

RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 04:59:40 PM

YES, if you're talking daily NET profitability after electricity and hardware cost.  HOWEVER, I'm quite jealous of those rare few who may have been mining Ethereum and other big players today from 2014 to 2017 at a net loss AT THE TIME.  If you'd mined ETH during that time, AND held the proceeds, it would have ultimately been incredibly profitable.

That said, without some sort of major market recession in the near future, we're much more likely to see a loss in profitability due to rising difficulty rather than token valuation, which will be an entirely different set of circumstances and may lead to an ongoing low level profitability but, in the end, no more golden age for mining.

I have been mining for some time and what i can tell you about mining is it's unpredictable at all , even if difficulty continue to drop down bombs on us , when it comes to profitability most newer miners will sell thier machines

2016 GPU Miner
Lavavest

Activity: 82

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 05:55:25 PM

I have been mining for some time and what i can tell you about mining is it's unpredictable at all , even if difficulty continue to drop down bombs on us , when it comes to profitability most newer miners will sell thier machines

It was not profitable later last year.
RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 06:02:05 PM

It was not profitable later last year.
If you have cheap electricity then it was a bit profitable , if you don't then you shouldn't consider mining last year or now because it's going to drop again

2016 GPU Miner
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: