Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:22:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What if world's banks coordinate to close accounts of exchanges?  (Read 1003 times)
Billy3 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:15:31 AM

It is probably true that governments would have a hard time killing BTC by going after transactions and, harder yet, the network due to its decentralization. What if they just decide to cut it off its food supply?

What if the banks decide that their profits may be at stake? What if the banks of the major countries decide to launch a coordinated attack and close all accounts of BTC exchanges. How then would new money come in to BTC and how would existing BTC holders get money out? Who would want to accept BTC at that point? Could the banks even do this without a legal reason?

Concerned...
BigJohn

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:51:49 AM

The food supply is the miners, not the exchanges. The exchanges are only temporarily needed now when there's a need to migrate from fiat to BTC. Their only function is to facilitate that migration. There's no real reason why the exchanges are strictly needed. And you can always just buy Bitcoins with cash locally.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:33:29 AM

It is probably true that governments would have a hard time killing BTC by going after transactions and, harder yet, the network due to its decentralization. What if they just decide to cut it off its food supply?

What if the banks decide that their profits may be at stake? What if the banks of the major countries decide to launch a coordinated attack and close all accounts of BTC exchanges. How then would new money come in to BTC and how would existing BTC holders get money out? Who would want to accept BTC at that point? Could the banks even do this without a legal reason?

Concerned...

There are banks in outside countries who will gladly accept deposits regardless if its for human trafficking or bitcoin.
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:13:02 AM

i would also assume that in certain countries the exchanges could sue for anti-competitive behavior or something else

ok
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 09:31:21 AM

What if the banks decide that their profits may be at stake? What if the banks of the major countries decide to launch a coordinated attack and close all accounts of BTC exchanges.
There was a similar topic recently about the scenario where large world governments would want to shut down Bitcoin. See replies there (here's my take at it), they won't succeed and effectively nothing is gonna change.

How then would new money come in to BTC and how would existing BTC holders get money out? Who would want to accept BTC at that point?
You seem to be confused, Bitcoin is new money. And new bitcoins come from mining. And "get money out"? What do you mean, similar to people getting money out of the Euro or Dollar, or what?

Either way, I for one would be happy to accept BTC.

Could the banks even do this without a legal reason?
As if banks would care even the slightest bit about legal issues Smiley

Concerned...
Let me know if you wanna get rid of your bitcoins. I'll buy them.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 09:40:52 AM

this type of action could cause mass hysteria against the banks something they would probably like to avoid

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 09:58:46 AM

There are banks in outside countries who will gladly accept deposits regardless if its for human trafficking or bitcoin.

Exactly. Banks are of nature criminal.

I don't see how any intelligent individual can claim otherwise. Perhaps you find a small bank that's honest, but once they get big, and opportunities arise and attempt their greed, you can be sure some will take advantage of it.

Now, there's no reason that banks should collude to shut down accounts of bitcoin exchanges.

Zomdifros

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 10:21:43 AM

I do think this could be a problem, but not because banks would collude to shut down accounts because they feel threatened by Bitcoin. I doubt most bank directors are currently aware of Bitcoin at all.

It could be a problem due to anti-fraud measurements though, which I witnessed first hand recently. When transferring money to Mt.Gox' account in Poland, my transaction (through internet banking) was immediately cancelled. Within a minute (quite spooky, actually) I was called by my bank with an employee apologizing for blocking my order. He could see I had transferred money to this particular account before so he would manually lift the blockade, which he indeed did. Apparently, all transactions to Mt.Gox are flagged by the banks internal systems.

I asked him why the transaction was blocked in the first place and he explained it was due to anti-fraud measurements. When people's bank accounts are hacked, thieves will usually transfer the money to a Bitcoin exchange so they are able to get away with the stolen money. Banks are aware of this and have a pretty good reason to shut down the accounts, because they'll have to cover all stolen money themselves.

This is probably what happened with Bitcoin-24's accounts as well and this is a serious problem. The best way to solve this seems to be that opening an account with an exchange would always require you to identify yourself, such as Mt.Gox is doing with their verified accounts. The Bitcoin exchanges would then have to work together with banks to prevent stolen money from entering Bitcoin. This does mean more regulation, which might be perceived as unwanted, but I believe this will protect Bitcoin in the long term.

Tl;dr: Bitcoin exchanges need to be proactive in combating fraud and screen their customers, otherwise banks have a very good reason to deny them their services.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: