Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:18:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some riser advice please  (Read 898 times)
EvilMonkey (OP)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:34:32 AM

Question about risers.

I have an older Gigabyte motherboard its a P67-xxxxx running and i5 CPU.  It has two full PCI-e slots and I am currently running two 1080 ti FE on it as an open air rig.  It also has one small PCI-e slot.

I have a third card running on an even older motherboard that only has one PCI-e slot.  I want to get rid of this and get all three cards running on the open air rig.

I know I can probably do this with a riser.  Is there any gotcha's with slightly older motherboards?  At this stage I dont want to purchase a new motherboard if this one is going to do the job.

I was looking at this Riser.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/TISHRIC-VER006C-Blue-PCI-E-Extender-1x-to-16x-PCI-Express-Riser-Card-60cm-USB-3/2942230_32808611545.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.JffWvK

I have a 1000W PSU connected to this rig.  (slightly overkill I know but huge shortage of plat PSU in newzealand i didnt have a choice).  I was thinking if I get the 6 pin riser I can plug a connector directly from my power supply to the riser as I have heaps of extra connectors rather than using the adapter that comes with it.  Is this advisable?

Or is it better to use the adapter and connect it to one of Sata power connectors?

Is the linked version the type I should be going for there is several to pick from.  What do I need to look out for when buying off ali express? I am limited to buying from there as I can't really find them in my country.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kopija

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 12:40:18 PM

Just sort by number of orders and then look for reviews on specific listing. Also make sure to use either air or aliexpress standard shipping, otherwise be prepared for a long wait.
Those you linked are ok, but not available.
Go ahead and plug one of your 6pin pcie connectors to the riser, just make sure you buy riser with 6pin connector Smiley
Actually it is the best method of powering risers, so no worries.

we are nothing but a smart contracts on a cosmic blockchain
CarlOrff

Activity: 826
Merit: 440

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 01:34:15 PM

There is not so much models : they are all the same.
The only choice is the connector : take those who can connect directly to your PSU, whithout adaptors.

Bitcoin + privacy respect = BitcoinZ (topic BitcoinZ)
The only decentralized crypto that complements Bitcoin on privacy.
You missed Bitcoin in 2009 ? Do not miss BitcoinZ in 2018 !
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 01:40:22 PM

There is not so much models : they are all the same.
The only choice is the connector : take those who can connect directly to your PSU, whithout adaptors.

There is definite quality difference between risers. The better risers, like the ones in the OP link have four capacitors for a more stable current flow compared to the three used by the molex and sata risers and also have a voltage regulator to prevent spikes. The 6-pin risers also use three thicker wires that are designed to spread a higher 12V load instead of the two thinner wires used by molex and sata connectors.
poby

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 02:03:52 PM

Not to mention, sata connectors are only rated to handle 4.5 amps which equates to 54 watts.  If you trying to power a 1080ti with a sata connector to the riser you are taking a much greater risk than if you used molex or 6 pin.
EvilMonkey (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 08:16:36 PM

Thanks guys appreciate the fast replies.

So the point of the adapter that comes with it is if you don't have enough extra 6pin connectors on your PSU?

The one I linked connects to the riser with a molex 6 pin and the other end that connects to the PSU is Sata.  Does it matter what the end that connects to the PSU is?  Will the one linked provide the most power compared to other conenctors?

Is it only the Riser end as Sata which is not as good?
VyprBTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 09:22:54 PM

Anyone know where I can get those for cheaper?

I was invoiced directly and invoice was $1 per piece that seller was getting them at - but I couldn't source the company. I need about 200 of them but wouldn't mind buying a few thousand to have on hand.

None of the guys from alibaba have replied to us either which is weird since their price is even triple or more what I saw the invoice was for.
CarlOrff

Activity: 826
Merit: 440

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 09:37:01 PM

I was invoiced directly and invoice was $1 per piece that seller was getting them at - but I couldn't source the company. I need about 200 of them but wouldn't mind buying a few thousand to have on hand.

None of the guys from alibaba have replied to us either which is weird since their price is even triple or more what I saw the invoice was for.
eBay is the good shop for that.

Bitcoin + privacy respect = BitcoinZ (topic BitcoinZ)
The only decentralized crypto that complements Bitcoin on privacy.
You missed Bitcoin in 2009 ? Do not miss BitcoinZ in 2018 !
VyprBTC

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 09:51:59 PM

eBay is the good shop for that.

I can't find quantity 2,000 for $1 each on ebay. Cheapest on ebay is like $5.50

Alibaba is like $3.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:00:45 PM

This another good place

http://www.parallelminer.com/

if you use those raises i woulds use these to

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18AWG-6-pin-to-2x-6-2-pin-6-pin-8-pin-Power-Splitter-Cable-PCIE-PCI-Express/361651807884?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Make sure the wire is at least 18 AWG , 16 AWG is better and any thing over 18 AWG and up, is bad to use .... for mining this way .......

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
EvilMonkey (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:26:28 PM

Nice thread hijack Tongue.

What are you doing with so many risers? are you onselling?  I was thinking about doing that myself as they are impossible to get in my country.
SDRebel

Activity: 569
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:30:06 PM

i won't threadjack (much), but I'll join since I was also thinking about risers to go from 2 to 4...
all the power still goes from PSU to card and the riser is only power for data transmission? no?
EvilMonkey (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:54:24 PM

i won't threadjack (much), but I'll join since I was also thinking about risers to go from 2 to 4...
all the power still goes from PSU to card and the riser is only power for data transmission? no?

you are asking similar questions to me so all good.
VyprBTC

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 11:00:50 PM

What are you doing with so many risers? are you onselling?  I was thinking about doing that myself as they are impossible to get in my country.

Threadjack? nooo way - i was asking for you, because I new that you were thinking about doing it yourself because they're impossible to get in your country! Tongue

EvilMonkey - let's get us some risers now shall we Smiley
EvilMonkey (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 11:08:46 PM

Threadjack? nooo way - i was asking for you, because I new that you were thinking about doing it yourself because they're impossible to get in your country! Tongue

EvilMonkey - let's get us some risers now shall we Smiley

Haha thanks.  I have ordered some,  I only ordered 5 and they were all around 5-6 US.  I only need one right now so I will try sell some and see if they sell before I bulk buy Cheesy.
SDRebel

Activity: 569
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 11:38:53 PM

this one seems to be very good and simple info
http://www.gobitgo.com/articles/1001/How-To-Correctly-Use-and-Install-PCI-E-Riser-Cables/
EvilMonkey (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 11:49:54 PM

this one seems to be very good and simple info
http://www.gobitgo.com/articles/1001/How-To-Correctly-Use-and-Install-PCI-E-Riser-Cables/

It didn't really provide anything and the photo links are dead.  Though it is interesting to know about the jumper thanks.
EvilMonkey (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 11:55:25 PM

So the point of the adapter that comes with it is if you don't have enough extra 6pin connectors on your PSU?

The one I linked connects to the riser with a molex 6 pin and the other end that connects to the PSU is Sata.  Does it matter what the end that connects to the PSU is?  Will the one linked provide the most power compared to other conenctors?

It looks like sata is bad all round so don't get sata if it is the connector on the riser or the connector on the PSU end?
poby

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 12:48:07 AM

It looks like sata is bad all round so don't get sata if it is the connector on the riser or the connector on the PSU end?

Avoid sata in the connector or on the riser if you possibly can.  It's so tempting to use cos most power supplies have heaps of them and not enough molex or 6 pin.  If it's not a very high powered card, it's not so important but definitely don't use any sata if you running something like a 1080ti! 
PengiPower

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 01:46:09 AM

Sorry, jacking this thread a bit, but I think its relevant

What should you do if your power supply has more than enough output, but not enough PCIE+MOLEX connectors to power all your cards and risers without SATA? (Using 8pin - 2x 6 pin splitters wont be enough)

2nd PSU?
EvilMonkey (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 02:44:41 AM

Sorry, jacking this thread a bit, but I think its relevant

What should you do if your power supply has more than enough output, but not enough PCIE+MOLEX connectors to power all your cards and risers without SATA? (Using 8pin - 2x 6 pin splitters wont be enough)

2nd PSU?

PCIE molex connectors? 

That would be pretty rare for you PSU to not have enough connectors.  You can use the adaptors that are 6pin molex to the riser card and 4 pin to the PSU sorry not sure what they are called.  The old power connector for HDD's and CDroms.

Or there is options with splitters as well.  You could buy a cable that would go into your PSU and split into two to power the risers from what I was reading in this thread?  As I assume if you have run out then you are using a cable directly from the PSU to the Riser already.

Or if your PSU has more slots for power cables (modular PSU) you can purchase more cables for it.   
poby

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 03:43:58 AM

Splitting a molex connector into no more than 2 is safer than using any sata.  The cable before the split might get a little warm but not enough to be dangerous and most importantly, you won't be exceeding the current rating spec anywhere.  The best connector is the 6 pin as it uses 3 wires for the 12 volt rail.  The next best is the molex which while only using one pin, at least it's a big pin with a larger surface contact area.  The sata should only be used if the cards are low powered and unlikely to draw more than 4.5 amps from the riser.  Definitely not if it's anything like a 1080ti.
PengiPower

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:03:15 AM

PCIE molex connectors? 

That would be pretty rare for you PSU to not have enough connectors.  You can use the adaptors that are 6pin molex to the riser card and 4 pin to the PSU sorry not sure what they are called.  The old power connector for HDD's and CDroms.

Or there is options with splitters as well.  You could buy a cable that would go into your PSU and split into two to power the risers from what I was reading in this thread?  As I assume if you have run out then you are using a cable directly from the PSU to the Riser already.

Or if your PSU has more slots for power cables (modular PSU) you can purchase more cables for it.   

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still not sure what to do since my PSU will not have enough connectors to avoid me using SATA.

For context, I am using 6 1070s that require a 8pin + 6 pin connector and 6 PCI risers (6 pin PCIE version)

My PSU is 1200w (http://www.thermaltake.com.au/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002351) and has 8 PCIE, 8 MOLEX and 12 SATA connectors.

This means I need 12 PCI connectors for the GPU and 6 more for the risers. At this point, I'm planning to power the GPUs with the PCI-E connectors and the 8 MOLEX with 2-Molex to 1 6-pin adapters. This means I require the SATA connectors to power the risers.

Another alternative is that I use 8-pin to 2 6-pin splitters, which means I can power 2-4 of the risers with MOLEX.

Will how much power is supplied to the risers matter given the 1070s are already powered by a 6-pin and 8-pin?
poby

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:41:27 AM

It does seem like you have no choice but to use the sata.  In this case I would suggest get a 2 x sata to 1 6pin adaptor.  That should in theory operate within spec.  I still wouldn't use a single sata to a single 6pin.

Or else get a bigger power supply e.g. AX1500i
PengiPower

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 05:03:05 AM

It does seem like you have no choice but to use the sata.  In this case I would suggest get a 2 x sata to 1 6pin adaptor.  That should in theory operate within spec.  I still wouldn't use a single sata to a single 6pin.

This is probably the best solution for me. Thanks
PSU makers should get on the crypto train like Mobo makers and GPU makers with special power supplies with extra PCIE rails! Most of these PSUs were designed for at most Quad SLI/Crossfire  Sad
EvilMonkey (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 07:44:09 AM

This is probably the best solution for me. Thanks
PSU makers should get on the crypto train like Mobo makers and GPU makers with special power supplies with extra PCIE rails! Most of these PSUs were designed for at most Quad SLI/Crossfire  Sad

To be honest you really are pushing it for a single rig.  That is a lot of density and if you want to push it that far then you have to come up with the solutions yourself. 3-4 is enough per rig.   Esp when 1080 ti's is the way to go now.

Most decent PSU's even with 1000w have enough connectors at the PSU end.  They just may not come with enough cables.  Just depends what you buy. Thats when you need to supply the extra cables yourself.
Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:05:47 AM

Not to mention, sata connectors are only rated to handle 4.5 amps which equates to 54 watts.  If you trying to power a 1080ti with a sata connector to the riser you are taking a much greater risk than if you used molex or 6 pin.

yeah better to use molex, but remember that a 1080ti take its wattage from the  2x8 pin, so at best it can take 75watt if you overclock heavy, from your risers, i still prefer normal riser and let the MB doing the rest of the work

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: