Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 09:17:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Some riser advice please  (Read 898 times)
EvilMonkey (OP)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 02:44:41 AM

Sorry, jacking this thread a bit, but I think its relevant

What should you do if your power supply has more than enough output, but not enough PCIE+MOLEX connectors to power all your cards and risers without SATA? (Using 8pin - 2x 6 pin splitters wont be enough)

2nd PSU?

PCIE molex connectors? 

That would be pretty rare for you PSU to not have enough connectors.  You can use the adaptors that are 6pin molex to the riser card and 4 pin to the PSU sorry not sure what they are called.  The old power connector for HDD's and CDroms.

Or there is options with splitters as well.  You could buy a cable that would go into your PSU and split into two to power the risers from what I was reading in this thread?  As I assume if you have run out then you are using a cable directly from the PSU to the Riser already.

Or if your PSU has more slots for power cables (modular PSU) you can purchase more cables for it.   
poby

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 03:43:58 AM

Splitting a molex connector into no more than 2 is safer than using any sata.  The cable before the split might get a little warm but not enough to be dangerous and most importantly, you won't be exceeding the current rating spec anywhere.  The best connector is the 6 pin as it uses 3 wires for the 12 volt rail.  The next best is the molex which while only using one pin, at least it's a big pin with a larger surface contact area.  The sata should only be used if the cards are low powered and unlikely to draw more than 4.5 amps from the riser.  Definitely not if it's anything like a 1080ti.
PengiPower

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:03:15 AM

PCIE molex connectors? 

That would be pretty rare for you PSU to not have enough connectors.  You can use the adaptors that are 6pin molex to the riser card and 4 pin to the PSU sorry not sure what they are called.  The old power connector for HDD's and CDroms.

Or there is options with splitters as well.  You could buy a cable that would go into your PSU and split into two to power the risers from what I was reading in this thread?  As I assume if you have run out then you are using a cable directly from the PSU to the Riser already.

Or if your PSU has more slots for power cables (modular PSU) you can purchase more cables for it.   

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still not sure what to do since my PSU will not have enough connectors to avoid me using SATA.

For context, I am using 6 1070s that require a 8pin + 6 pin connector and 6 PCI risers (6 pin PCIE version)

My PSU is 1200w (http://www.thermaltake.com.au/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002351) and has 8 PCIE, 8 MOLEX and 12 SATA connectors.

This means I need 12 PCI connectors for the GPU and 6 more for the risers. At this point, I'm planning to power the GPUs with the PCI-E connectors and the 8 MOLEX with 2-Molex to 1 6-pin adapters. This means I require the SATA connectors to power the risers.

Another alternative is that I use 8-pin to 2 6-pin splitters, which means I can power 2-4 of the risers with MOLEX.

Will how much power is supplied to the risers matter given the 1070s are already powered by a 6-pin and 8-pin?
poby

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:41:27 AM

It does seem like you have no choice but to use the sata.  In this case I would suggest get a 2 x sata to 1 6pin adaptor.  That should in theory operate within spec.  I still wouldn't use a single sata to a single 6pin.

Or else get a bigger power supply e.g. AX1500i
PengiPower

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 05:03:05 AM

It does seem like you have no choice but to use the sata.  In this case I would suggest get a 2 x sata to 1 6pin adaptor.  That should in theory operate within spec.  I still wouldn't use a single sata to a single 6pin.

This is probably the best solution for me. Thanks
PSU makers should get on the crypto train like Mobo makers and GPU makers with special power supplies with extra PCIE rails! Most of these PSUs were designed for at most Quad SLI/Crossfire  Sad
EvilMonkey (OP)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 07:44:09 AM

This is probably the best solution for me. Thanks
PSU makers should get on the crypto train like Mobo makers and GPU makers with special power supplies with extra PCIE rails! Most of these PSUs were designed for at most Quad SLI/Crossfire  Sad

To be honest you really are pushing it for a single rig.  That is a lot of density and if you want to push it that far then you have to come up with the solutions yourself. 3-4 is enough per rig.   Esp when 1080 ti's is the way to go now.

Most decent PSU's even with 1000w have enough connectors at the PSU end.  They just may not come with enough cables.  Just depends what you buy. Thats when you need to supply the extra cables yourself.
Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:05:47 AM

Not to mention, sata connectors are only rated to handle 4.5 amps which equates to 54 watts.  If you trying to power a 1080ti with a sata connector to the riser you are taking a much greater risk than if you used molex or 6 pin.

yeah better to use molex, but remember that a 1080ti take its wattage from the  2x8 pin, so at best it can take 75watt if you overclock heavy, from your risers, i still prefer normal riser and let the MB doing the rest of the work

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: